Updated NIV

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 25331
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 12 2011 11:49 AM

I have just received a download which seems to be the updated NIV version - which is good news.

What surprises me is that it seems to be named identically to the 1984 version as per below:

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Graham 

Posts 1034
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:15 PM

I just received that too.  I guess that only notable distinction is the inverted colours in the book cover. 

Posts 92
Chris Lohroff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:27 PM

According to Biblica (which I think owns the international copyright to the NIV), the new version is simply called The New International Version.  Personally, I think that's a mistake and it's already a source of confusion in my church.

http://www.biblica.com/niv/

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:29 PM

I haven't received the update. I tried "update now" but it didn't bring up anything. Maybe it takes awhile to reach the middle of Texas Stick out tongue

Posts 1034
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:33 PM

Chris Lohroff:

According to Biblica (which I think owns the international copyright to the NIV), the new version is simply called The New International Version.  Personally, I think that's a mistake and it's already a source of confusion in my church.

http://www.biblica.com/niv/

I guess the plan was to not to produce a new translation but update the existing one.  If 95% of the 1984 version is still there, then does it warrant a new name?  Not sure!

Posts 92
Chris Lohroff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:44 PM

Richard Wardman:

I guess the plan was to not to produce a new translation but update the existing one.  If 95% of the 1984 version is still there, then does it warrant a new name?  Not sure!

I think you're probably right Richard.  Giving it a new name would be problematic as well.

I'm going to start calling the 1984 version the Old International Version.  OIV... join me.

Posts 1034
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:50 PM

Chris Lohroff:
I'm going to start calling the 1984 version the Old International Version.  OIV... join me.

The OIV is SOOO last century.  

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:50 PM

Those who have both versions will want to change the short title of one of them. OIV is clever. NIV84 works for me.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1034
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:53 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Those who have both versions will want to change the short title of one of them. OIV is clever. NIV84 works for me.

How does one do that Mark?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:54 PM

The nice thing is that Logos 4 lets us edit the title of books. Here's what I am doing:

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:55 PM

Any thoughts as to why I have not received the update? I trioed "update now" with no luck.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:55 PM

Richard Wardman:
How does one do that Mark?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 12:56 PM

Bob Schlessman:

Any thoughts as to why I have not received the update? I trioed "update now" with no luck.

Did you do the "free" upgrade of your base package?

Have you tried restarting Logos 4?

Posts 1034
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 1:00 PM

Thanks.  Got it.

(BTW - I also went for NIV84, not OIV.  Don't tell Chris.)

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 1:04 PM

Kevin Becker:

Bob Schlessman:

Did you do the "free" upgrade of your base package?

Have you tried restarting Logos 4?

Yes I restarted Logos but am not sure to what "free" upgrade you are referring.

Posts 5630
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 1:08 PM

Bob Schlessman:
Yes I restarted Logos but am not sure to what "free" upgrade you are referring.

Read Phil's post here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/28219.aspx

Then go here: http://www.logos.com/upgrade

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

Chris Lohroff:

Or, in keeping with Today's New International Version, you could call it Yesterday's NIV. Smile

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 1:38 PM

Todd Phillips:

How do I know if I'm actually running "KF" now? I did the free upgrade, downloaded the installer, and when I ran it, it said I was up-to-date. I can't tell from the "About" box if anything is different, still "4.2 SR-2". I have Platinum, and the web site no longer shows a free upgrade for me.

I've now got a 67MB update coming down, so maybe that's all the resource changes Phil referred to.

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 1:56 PM

Donnie, there's only one way to tell if you have the KF upgrade: check if you have the new titles that were included in your Library. This new NIV version, a new Book of Common Prayer Lectionary, the NET Bible First Edition Notes, and the Lexham Greek-English Interlinear Septuagint, Alternate Texts were included. Since this isn't a Logos 4 version upgrade but a resource collection upgrade you won't see anything in the About Logos box.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 2:04 PM

It's very practical to change also a long name for, let's say "The New International Version 1984" because otherwise when you want to open NIV from the command box it offers you 2 identical resources names and you have no chance to know which one is which.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS