Logos4 installation directory

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 2 2009 2:08 PM

For some weird reason Logos completely ignored my default program installation directory F:Program Files (I have XP SP3) and wanted to install to C:\Program Files\Common Files...When I corrected the path Logos gave me an error stating that it cannot install to a SYSTEM folder!  What?!

Can we correct this behavior?  I understand indexing issues and I PROMISE!!! not to touch the files once the installer loads them where it wants to, but I should have the right to tell ANY program, whether it be a Bible Software or not, where it should be loaded.  Mine is not just the petty whine.  My C: partition is limited (by design), but program partition and data partitions are huge.

Also, I spoke with the Service Rep today who stated that there is no way to transfer freshly downloaded resources on one computer to another.  Another nonsense! If I endured a 12 hour download of 9Gb of resources, why in the world can I not copy them to my second computer, but instead have to wait another 12 hours.  I am not even talking about situations when Internet access is NOT unlimited, but user pays per Mb.  Not very considered of you, Logos!

I think that with all of the forward thinking (for which I applaud you) Logos folks still have a US-centric mentality. But I submit to you that there are thousands of Logos users worldwide, for whom "ordering a DVD" or 9Gb download TWICE may not be viable options.

I propose a couple of needed changes:

1) REALLY allow the user to install LOGOS4 where the user wants.

2) why not allow the user to create his own install DVD with the fresh files he painstakingly downloads from Logos servers to use on his second computer?

Looking forward to enjoy the colossal positive changes in v.4

Vladimir

Posts 1606
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 2:15 PM

For your first concern, I don't know.  While I have not done so, it was my understanding that Logos 4 will allow you to install to the directory of your choice.  The program is integrated with the resources enough that it will want to put the "program" and "data" in the same directory tree, but other than that, I thought there was a fair amount of flexibility.

As for resources, take a look at the following http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3193.aspx Logos wants you to do it their way, but if this description of how to transfer resources over doesn't scare you, you should be fine.

As for US centric, we had heated discussion on this on during the Beta.  However, for most of the world, the internet infrastructure is growing and more and more users will have faster and faster access.  Logos 4 is designed to both use the internet as much as possible as well as to be as functional as possible even if you are not connected.  This is a fine balancing act, and is especially problematic at installation.

If neither getting a DVD shipped to you nor downloading it is an option, what would be?

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 2737
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 2:20 PM

Vladimir, try to read this forum.  You might need to see also this posts. It is not so unusual for program which is communicating with the servers in Logos.com syncing your user stuff with your iPhone and second computer etc. to be installed in the User specific folder. In Vista it is Users. I think it is the way to avoid second download. At least it was possible in Beta. Read some more on the forum.

Bohuslav

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:01 PM

ok, Sorry for the attitude.  I think I understand the reasoning now, but I wish it would be communicated better.  From the first look at things Logos behaves very unorthodox, and even Bob's references that many programs "install in User directory" is not a valid one since not many programs download 9Gb worth of data.  My point about users simply not having 10 Gb in the C: partition is still valid.

Also, since we are talking about "user directory" - I mapped all of my user created files to occupy a partition separate from a system partition. C:\Program Files\Common files IS NOT my default user directory.  Can Logos4 simply use system-wide settings for the "user directory?"

Posts 25098
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:02 PM

VladimirLukyanov:
For some weird reason Logos completely ignored my default program installation directory F:Program Files (I have XP SP3)

You can still install to drive F:\ but not "Program Files" as L4 assumes that name is a protected system folder.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 37
Jonathan Andrist | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:07 PM

Power users are the only ones who should be doing custom installs anyway, we should know if we've got access writes to write to that directory.

Posts 2737
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:10 PM

VladimirLukyanov:
C:\Program Files\Common files IS NOT my default user directory. 

If that was the automatic path for your Logos 4, I am surprised. It is supposed to go to Users folder in Vistas and Documents and Settings in XP.

Bohuslav

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:26 PM

I would at least give users the option to download all the files on one computer and provide a mechanism to "slipstream" them into the second. Possibly label it "not supported feature - try it at your own risk :) " but give them the option.

Again, I apologize for over-reacting.  Never before I had to deal with re-downloading already existing 9Gb of files... TWICE!  But as I hear it from all sides "it will be worth it!" I loved Libronix 3 and I can't wait to use v.4.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:28 PM

You can still install to drive F:\ but not "Program Files" as L4 assumes that name is a protected system folder.

OK, I get it - has to do with bypassing administrator privileges to be able to sync data...

Posts 1606
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:28 PM

Hey, Seven minutes after you posted, I pointed you to a way to avoid having to DL all the 9 GB the second time.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 25098
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 4:33 PM

VladimirLukyanov:
OK, I get it - has to do with bypassing administrator privileges to be able to sync data...

That's the basic design principle for L4 (although "avoiding the need for" is more accurate).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 669
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:55 AM

I live in the woods of East Tennessee and my only high-speed option is Hughes Net Satellite.  I need to be able to limit downloads to between 2 and 7 am or I become subject to the (FAP) Fair Access Policy which says I can only download 450 MB outside of that time frame.  When I get fapped my speed goes to less than dial-up for 24 hours.  I've been setting my alarm for 2 am and getting up and turning on Logos so I can download w/o restrictions.  Even Microsoft recognizes this and allows me to schedule automatic updates to download and install starting at 2 am.  Is there any way to limit the download time w/o getting up at 2 am until it is done?  I've just started installing on my second computer at a McCafe to try and get a headstart.  What about the poor people who can only get dial-up?  If the clearing for my cabin didn't face the right direction I couldn't even get Hughes Net.  I am sure there are quite a few people out there who have a similar problem.  I wouldn't have ordered a DVD if I knew it didn't have the book files on it...

Posts 669
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:58 AM

Also is there a place that clearly explains the details of the installation process?  It would also help if the blog had had categories for threads, if it does I haven't been able to find it.  Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS