Slow (logos 4)

Page 1 of 4 (71 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 11
elisha | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:25 PM

I just purchased Minimal Logos 4 in order to transfer my Logos Scholar Silver 3 to Logos 4.

It has finished indexing already, and should be ready to use, but it is extremely slow and sometimes it freezes! Old Logos 3 is much better.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Pentium Dual @2.16GHz, 2.00GB memory (Ram), 32-bit Operating System.

If anyone can help me to fix this problem, I'd be appreciate.

Thanks,

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:31 PM

my computer is 7 yrs old and I started a thread the other day.  solution is get a newer computer.  I have major freezing issues and I have crashed twice (the computer just did a restart).  1 thing we share in common is 32 bit.  I think this monster needs 64 bit dual core processor.  I think 4 Gig ram would do on like windows 7.  Im no computer expert, but look at your equipment, like video card too.

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:35 PM

Slowness is definitely an issue.  Optimization was promised all through the beta process, but I have yet to see any real improvements in this area - I hope this is will drastically improve.

Here is what things are like on my system:

My right click menu takes 5-6 seconds to fully load

Information takes 6-10 seconds to display when in an interlinear

Clicking on a word in a Bible with interlinear takes about 1 second before both the Bible word and the interlinear are both highlighted (Also - often the information tool does not work when a word is clicked on instead of hovered over).

Clicking on File, Guide, or Tools is not instant either.

This is on an acer 1410 (Core 2 Solo 1.4 GHz, 4GB memory, 250GB 5400rpm drive windows 7 running pretty lean (booting in 30 seconds))

Posts 11
elisha | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:21 PM

Logos 4 is supposed to be faster than L3...

... my Logos 4 is 5 times slower than L3 though. HELP!

Posts 27265
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:31 PM

Chris, pls show machine specs so I can comment (see mine below as an example)  - I'm just curious in your case!

In general it needs a laptop machine with my specs at least! ie. genuine Core 2 Duo or Quad (a Pentium Dual is better than a Celeron, but below the original Intel Core). It performs quite well in XP, but seems even better in Windows 7 RC, also on my laptop!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 100
Anthony Grubb | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:35 PM

elishakatamura:

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Pentium Dual @2.16GHz, 2.00GB memory (Ram), 32-bit Operating System.

I'm running an almost identical setup, a two month old Dell notebook with more like 3GB RAM, I'm just running the free upgrade (it is hard to find, but a link appeared yesterday in the forum), on a small Thomas Nelson e-Bible package.   I've not had any freeze-ups, but the scroll bars do not work properly.   Sounds like RAM might be the answer, but they seem to be making daily bug fixes, so stay tuned Cool

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:45 PM

elishakatamura:
my Logos 4 is 5 times slower than L3 though. HELP!

Elisha,

There are a lot of factors that slow down Logos 4. Your computer specs look to be adequate. Have you checked to see if anything is running in the background? Do you have an older version of an anti-virus program like Norton which is notorious for slowing some programs down? Have you de-fragmented your hard drive recently? Do you have much space left on your hard drive? What sort of graphics adapter do you have?

Logos 4 is a bit slower in most things on my computer than Logos 3 but not by what you seem to be experiencing. I have 4 GB of RAM (under my 32 bit operating system I don't get access to all of that, but more than with 2 GB). Searching is the one place Logos 4 operates pretty much at the speed of Logos 3 at worst and it is much faster with searches of many resources than Logos 3 was.

I am sure this isn't much help, but check a few of the things I mentioned and get back to us.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:52 PM

Dave Hooton:
Chris, pls show machine specs so we can comment (see mine below as an example)
Dave, you mean you threw away your Crystal Ball and no longer use your powers to read minds?  Here is a test, what am I thinking now?  Wink

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:56 PM

Joe Miller:

Dave, you mean you threw away your Crystal Ball and no longer use your powers to read minds?  Here is a test, what am I thinking now? 

We don't want to know and we don't want you to tell us because that wonderful job at Logos where you have to be diplomatic lies tantalisingly around the corner :)

Posts 27265
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:58 PM

elishakatamura:

Your Vista is running on a minimum spec machine IMHO, so there's a part of the reason! Another part is the Pentium Dual (see my earlier post). If your video memory is shared with main memory as opposed to being on the video card itself, you have another possible cause.

If you enabled logging for L4 then disable it! How long does a basic search of Entire Library for "God" take? How many resources have you got?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 11
elisha | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:06 PM

Thank you guys for helping me.

Mark,

When I use Logos4, I don't run anything in the background. I'm using AVG Free. I have 60% free space on my hard drive.

I'm sorry but I'm not an expert of computer at all. I couldn't find out what kind of graphics adapter I use. And I'm not sure if I have defragmented my hard drive recently or not. I don't understand what "de-fragmented" means. I hope I haven't...

Posts 27265
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:07 PM

Joe Miller:
Dave, you mean you threw away your Crystal Ball and no longer use your powers to read minds?  Here is a test, what am I thinking now?  Wink

Now Joe, tell me what I just wrote in another post!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:08 PM

Elisha,

Defragmenting is good :) 

It brings together all the little bots of the same files which are scattered willy-nilly around your hard drive and thus makes them quicker to read by Windows or their associated programs. Windows has a defragment utility. I use a freeware one called defraggler.

Posts 27265
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:13 PM

elishakatamura:
I'm sorry but I'm not an expert of computer at all. I couldn't find out what kind of graphics adapter I use.

That's OK.

Did you ever enable logging for L4 (if you did nothing then I know it is disabled)?

How long (the time shown in the Results pane) does a basic search of Entire Library for "God" take? How many resources have you got?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 11
elisha | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:20 PM

When I search "God" on basic search, it takes for 15 to 20 seconds. Library Results says 1,096,297 results in 203,824 articles.

Posts 11
elisha | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:23 PM

I have no idea if I have enabled logging for L4 or not. Maybe that means I haven't...

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:23 PM

Damian McGrath:

Joe Miller:

Dave, you mean you threw away your Crystal Ball and no longer use your powers to read minds?  Here is a test, what am I thinking now? 

We don't want to know and we don't want you to tell us because that wonderful job at Logos where you have to be diplomatic lies tantalisingly around the corner :)

Oh man... I am still laughing so hard little tears are coming from my eyes.  Thanks for that comment brother.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:25 PM

Dave Hooton:

Joe Miller:

Now Joe, tell me what I just wrote in another post!

You gave up witchcraft for lent?  Or was it, "be nice"?  I can't remember now... too many posts in one day.

Posts 27265
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:40 PM

Joe Miller:

Damian McGrath:

Joe Miller:

Oh man... I am still laughing so hard little tears are coming from my eyes.  Thanks for that comment brother.

Damian is paying me back for a (beta!) comment... he thinks I'm going for his jobStick out tongue

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:44 PM

Dave Hooton:

he thinks I'm going for his job

Seriously, you can have it - back from holidays and 4 funerals in 4 days. 4 school Masses. High school speech night. Wedding rehearsals... what a week...

I have to give an inservice next week for 40 clergy and a public talk on Luke's Gospel and I have barely begun - can't find time - would help not to read these forums :)

Page 1 of 4 (71 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS