Black Friday Sale

Page 3 of 7 (128 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 127 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 5:37 PM

EmileB:

I know that the bundling thing is very popular... and I agree that for some folks (maybe many) it can be a good way to build up a young library. But I hear people on the forums all the time talking about how much things work out "per volume" ("gosh! that's only $1 per book!!!")... but frankly, it sounds a lot to me like the emperor lacking clothes. Yeah, sure each volume is only a buck... but would you really  (c'mon let's be painfully honest) have bought those anyway? Would you really actively use those volumes with any kind of regularity? Maybe some would and will... and if so... that is truly GREAT!!!!  That THRILLS me! But for the vast majority, I think (and certainly for me)... it can be self-deception, and doesn't seem to be the best stewardship. I'd actually be paying lots of money I wouldn't otherwise have spent, to receive books I will almost certainly not use (or with such rarity that it's justification becomes questionable), all to purchase a few (in my case) volumes that I really, truly want, will without question use, and which will (honestly) have the potential to make a difference for eternity. And not just feed my desire for more. I have to recognize at some point that every dollar I spend or "invest" on Logos is a conscious choice not to spend a dollar or "invest" somewhere else. And I'm asking myself more and more what i'm being called upon by my Lord to invest in.

SNIPPED (respectfully)

BBM

Isn't this Marketing 101? 

1.  "Wow" the customer with a "great" offer.

2.  Give the customer a brief deadline.  ("ACT NOW!")

3.  Convince the customer to spend MORE not LESS $. 

Whereas it may be in our best interest to spend more $ per volume (but less $ in total) on a few select resources, these offers entice us to spend less $ per volume (but more $ in total) on mega-resources, many of which (as you say) we will never use.  I'll admit that the technique works.  It takes discipline to resist.  :-o

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 5:49 PM

EmileB:
other perspectives. (bracing myself for the reaction!) :-)

Thank you for posting your perspective. You can relax now. I put my brass knuckles away for the rest of the year. I find myself agreeing with much of what you have said. But I do think we are not bound to view everything from just one perspective. When we do that we can miss out on understanding others and possibly alienate them if they misunderstand us as well. I will just mention a few of those other perspectives that may be key to making sense of this weekend's sales.

There is very little we truly NEED for a meaningful life. My wife bought peppermint marshmallows today to add a festive twist to desert time. She could have given the money to feed the hungry at the City Rescue Mission or buy Bibles for foreign missions. My son is about to leave his good paying job to begin raising support to move to Mexico as a missionary. My parents were missionaries to Japan for several decades. I know what it is like to work hard and see sparse results. Every missionary I know leans heavily upon God for even basic things such as tonight's dinner.

If someone stumbles across this Black Friday sale resource: An Exposition on Prayer in the Bible (5 vols.)  and buys it for the "wrong" reason, they just may learn from it how to better pray for the lost, hungry, and hurting. 

EmileB:
But I hear people on the forums all the time talking about how much things work out "per volume" ("gosh! that's only $1 per book!!!")... but frankly, it sounds a lot to me like the emperor lacking clothes. Yeah, sure each volume is only a buck... but would you really  (c'mon let's be painfully honest) have bought those anyway? Would you really actively use those volumes with any kind of regularity?

(highlighting mine) Emile, you might not know me very well but trust me when I say the answer to the highlighting question is an emphatic "Yes!" I am the guy that has owned over 4 dozen guitars, I've got 13 children and 8000 Logos books. I would have bought them anyway. I spend about the same each month on Logos resources. The only difference is buying them through Community Pricing or bundled in mega-sales gives me more books for the same expenditure. And that expenditure is better applied to Logos than guitars or tools. I may even need the education for a future calling.  Huh?

I thank God for your dedication, for your concern, and the love & understanding you are extending to others. I pray for the lost souls and the messengers going out to them. I thank God for Logos and the all the fine people I have encountered through my association here. I thank God for my wonderful wife and even for peppermint marshmallows.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 6:05 PM

Michael Childs:
I know, I keep making this same complaint.  Sorry about that.  It obviously bothers me a lot!

Today was set aside by a former US President to be a day of giving thanks for the many blessings we enjoy. I know recent Presidents have given us much to moan about. As a child, my mother taught me, "If you don't have anything good to say about somebody, don't say anything at all."  Let us refocus on the good and happy things.

I'm happy about the great effort that went into this year's Black Friday sale. Music

I'm happy for godly parents.

I'm happy for the grand-babies I am blessed with. Person Person Person Person .......Person Wink

Posts 2831
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 7:41 PM

Simon Pleasants:
Judging from the page cached on Google for the IVP New Testament Commentaries they previously cost $269.95. If that is the case, it represents a saving of just over 30% relative to the usual price. Based on that saving, I have placed an order with my sales rep.

Thanks Simon.  Having learned the hard way that one cannot trust Logos when they say 50% off, it has been my habit to go to the Logos site and search for what they really have been charging.  This is the first sale that I could not do that.  If you search for the IVP NT Commentaries on the Logos site, you only get the imaginary price and Black Friday sale price, but not the price they always charge.  This never happened to me before, and I always check.  So I had no way of finding out what the real discount was.

Wasn't that a coincidence? 

I agree that 30% is a good sale price.  I would probably buy it, too, if I didn't feel that I had been lied to.  30% is not 50%.  Now I think not.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2831
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 7:51 PM

Super Tramp:
day was set aside by a former US President to be a day of giving thanks for the many blessings we enjoy. I know recent Presidents have given us much to moan about. As a child, my mother taught me, "If you don't have anything good to say about somebody, don't say anything at all."  Let us refocus on the good and happy things.

Good point, and I will comply.  I will forget about Black Friday sales and focus on the many things for which I should be thankful, and they are many.  Especially my seven wonderful grandchildren who are all at my house today!  God is very, very good.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 9:39 PM

Michael Childs:
If you search for the IVP NT Commentaries on the Logos site, you only get the imaginary price and Black Friday sale price, but not the price they always charge.  This never happened to me before, and I always check.  So I had no way of finding out what the real discount was. Wasn't that a coincidence?
That is a recent development. I used to do the same comparison. It seems they now change the product description page to reflect current sales & "retail" rather than regular sales to "retail." It would be best if the comparison were between regular selling price and special sale price.

Michael Childs:
Especially my seven wonderful grandchildren who are all at my house today!  God is very, very good.

7? and all of them there at once? That is when you sit back, surveying them all and ask God why He is so good to you.  My wife's Grandmother shocked us one day when she said, " I finally figured out which great-grand baby is the most beautiful."  We were scared to hear her disclosure until she said, "It is whichever baby I am presently looking at."  She was a wise and classy lady.  Enjoy them Michael.

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 10:35 PM

I was actually pleased to see the Spurgeon Collection on sale. I missed the Spurgeon Collection when it was in Prepub at $259 due to having too many other purchases going on with Logos at the same time.

Would have liked to have picked up the A.W. Tozer collection too as it is in the same category... but I'll have to wait for another sale at some point! I would still like to see a good sale on AYBC or Hermenia, but that too will keep me watching Twitter and the other news channels for good sales from Logos! :)

Posts 2831
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 11:48 PM

I saw the Spurgeon collection, and am considering that , too.  Do you think it would be worth the price if you already have Spurgeon's sermons?  That is what I am wrestling with there.

Posts 93
Fab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 12:29 AM

I have the impression that Logos tries to attract new people to buy Logos software (15% for new ones but not for Logos users) and to make a lot of money by convincing us that "You are making a great deal" BUT the truth is that the offer must be a response to the demand. Also I feel like Logos community is pressed to "get the deal of the year", more than buy few books and really use/read them ALL. Logos seems to be reaching a capitalist politic and it scars me. Who would read all of the Master's Bundle? Truly. I mean, we would need many lives to be able to read them all. It's getting nonsense. Buy for the great saving, not for the interest someone has for each book. Well, english isn't my first language so I hope you got the point. I'd be glad someone explain to me how Logos tries to respond to Logos Community real demand. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 1:10 AM

Fabrice de Almeida:
Logos seems to be reaching a capitalist politic and it scars me.
If we want to go duck hunting, we go where the ducks are. History has repeatedly shown the capitalistic countries are where the expendable wealth is to be found. When the good ol' US of A says everybody earning $79,000 is living in poverty, it is an insult to all nations that have an annual income per capita of a tenth of that. My point is Logos is driven by sales to customers dwelling in mostly capitalist economies.

moving right along to a more productive point: Few pastors ever read an entire commentary from cover to cover  Still fewer read a dictionary or encyclopedia from A to Zeta (my eldest son actually does that Surprise.) Logos 4 is my reading & research team. It reads through millions of pages of unrelated material and presents me with a condensed and more relative list gleaned from my resources. If your library only contains 10 books, it will of necessity be missing a vast amount of knowledge a library of 10,000 books contain. An Archaeology professor will need and read all the many resources to be found in their discipline. They may never read a counseling book. A scholar of the Hebrew language will buy and use many books I will never read. The Black Friday Collections are specifically dedicated to either Old Testament, New Testament or reference materials related to theology. Most Logos customers fall under one of these user groups

Fabrice de Almeida:
I'd be glad someone explain to me how Logos tries to respond to Logos Community real demand. 
.A recent example of Logos responding to the user community needs was the development of many Catholic resources. There have been many resources targeted at other sub-sets of users that provide specific authors  from various beliefs sectors. We have recently seen Pentecostal works, Restoration Movement titles, Dispensationalists, Methodists, Lectionaries, and others. 

The Logos user base is much wider than most people imagine, even Logos. I am happy to say Logos is adapting. It is much better today for people of differing perspectives and needs than it was three years ago. Just imagine how much better it will be in three more years.

btw: Your English is very good for not being your first language.

Posts 4806
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 1:39 AM

BLACK FRIDAY SALE!!!!

I have one word for it...

Meh. Sleep

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 1:49 AM

Hi Super Tramp!

I haven't been afraid of your brass knuckles... I've generally always appreciated your posts, even the few times I have disagreed! I've taken the more "brass knuckle" parts of your posts to be humor!

I agree 100% that there are many perspectives, and that no one perspective may be right on "disputable matters". Paul had a lot to say about our loving approach to others in such cases. Each should make their decision in faith, and be convinced in their own mind, and not judge their brothers or sisters if the Lord leads them to another perspective. It isn't for us to judge another man's servant. I of course am not speaking about issues of doctrine.

But I do think someone needs to raise the question that maybe we need to examine things a little bit from a more eternal perspective.

The Word also teaches that God has given us all things to enjoy, and our hearts should be thankful for that with which He has blessed us. If we use what He has provided with thanks and joy, that pleases Him.

Yet we also live in a very materialistic culture, one that has increasingly pervaded the church, parachurch organizations and even Christian businesses. It is good and right for a Christian business to make a profit. At the same time, how they do so, and the degree of profit, is something the Bible addresses extensively.

So the marketing approach being taken sometimes concerns me. There s no definitive boundary unfortunately, for when we cross the line into encouraging the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life. That makes it very hard to speak about these issues, due to the difficulty of defining when the line has been crossed. That is an individual thing. But perhaps we should really be asking more searching questions of how this is affecting us personally.

Marketing in general concerns me from a Christian perspective. It has a legitimate place, but most marketing exceeds that in my experience, to creating a desire where there was not a desire previously, and a fanning of discontentment. These things are not godly, and we cannot help but all suffer from it to some extent living in our culture if we are honest. I have seen Logos moving more in that direction and it concerns me.

A case in point is that made repeatedly by Michael. The "retail" price is a gimmick and is fundamentally dishonest. A retail price is the normal price at which someone sells something. No one in the world sells the resources at the retail prices Logos lists. In many cases, Logos has developed the resource itself (such as public domain books), so the retail price is truly based on a myth. A sale is a reduction from the normal price, and is of a temporary nature. Playing with words as Logos is doing is not the kind of straightforward talk we are enjoined upon in the SCripture. It is inherently deceptive and dishonest and is a marketing gimmick. I really wish Logos was not adopting these worldly methods. Just because it is Marketing 101, does not make it right. I understand and support that Logos must stay in business. But if they are doing so by adopting less than strictly honest means, is it not right to call this into question?

I love Logos and the people there, and know that their hearts are true. But sometimes we are too close to something to see it, and we all have our blind spots.

And I will emphasize again, that every dollar I spend in Logos is a dollar I choose to deny to something else. And there are times that is right. And others, maybe not so much. And I was just trying to encourage us to think a bit more seriously about those lines.

And at the same time, rejoice with those who are enjoying the sale and the resources they have been blessed to receive!

Posts 800
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 2:18 AM

I looked at the deals and there is nothing that interests me that I don't already have. I know there are always people who are unhappy that they don't get the max. benefit from a sale. I don't want to be one of them. But with Logos' current sales strategy long-termers who have already spent a lot of money on Logos resources consistently get the least rewards. 

Armin

Posts 10290
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 2:47 AM

Fabrice de Almeida:
I have the impression that Logos tries to attract new people to buy Logos software (15% for new ones but not for Logos users) and to make a lot of money by convincing us that "You are making a great deal" BUT the truth is that the offer must be a response to the demand.

Sure. Logos is a business and they need to make money to pay for programmers, customer service staff, rooms, servers (and Bob's thanksgiving turkey as well).

Thus, they need to sell their products, meaning base packages to new customers and resources - the more the better - to existing customers. 

Sometimes a little bit of user demographics is revealed on the forums. I seem to recall that most users buy a base package and that's it. For these users, to get big bundles of the great products outside the base packages (or at least ouside portfolio) is a very good deal - especially since Logos bundled recent scholarship, not the old PD stuff for the Black Friday sale.

Fabrice de Almeida:
I'd be glad someone explain to me how Logos tries to respond to Logos Community real demand. 

Well, I think, Logos caters to their big user base's demand more than to the demands of the many forum regulars that buy a lot of resources each month. And that's okay.

It would've been nice if they had added a small-price offer like "buy one resource that is normally $50 or less for 50% less" to help those users that are less well-off than the capitalists who finance the whole thing. Maybe Christmas is right for that. And they put four free books on Vyrso.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 230
Pastor James | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 7:40 AM

I wish LOGOS would list 3 prices when they offer a sale of any kind. 1. The "Suggested Retail Price," 2. The "Regular Logos Price," and 3. The "Sale Price."

It's frustrating when we are offered a product that is 80% off, only to find out that this is off of the "Suggested Retail Price," and that the reality is the sale is on a few dollars less than the "Regular Logos Price." Before you ask, no I'm not referring to any specific Logos product, just their pricing in general.

Posts 889
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 8:09 AM

James Alexander:
I wish LOGOS would list 3 prices when they offer a sale of any kind. 1. The "Suggested Retail Price," 2. The "Regular Logos Price," and 3. The "Sale Price."

Yes

"I read dead people..."

Posts 889
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 8:34 AM

Imagine how difficult it would be for you to predict the future if you were in Bob's chair.  The circular reality of it is that you MUST decide how best to generate revenue because the business/ministry requires a burn rate commensurate with the demands of supporting the existing platforms as well as developing new releases that add features.  You'd have to attract new Logos customers, but most importantly, you'd have to continue to attract your existing customer base (your proven cash-cows) back to the proverbial well.  The formula is something like: NO CASH = NO LOGOS MINISTRY

Hence we see proven marketing strategies employed to inform, delight, and romance us into making additional purchases.  We buy more and reap the benefit!  Logos keeps the lights on, development continues apace, and support improves (and again, we reap the benefit!).

Now, the fact is that none of us (except Bob) sit in Bob's chair.  Bob is responsible, not us.  We feel it is our responsibility to browbeat the Logos staff for virtually every decision/sale/bug/feature/pick-a-topic that comes out of the corporate office.  I dunno... if I were Bob, I'd probably be a little worn down about now and feeling a little discouraged.  

"I read dead people..."

Posts 2
Joseph Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 9:05 AM

I concur that "Playing with words" marketing strategy as Logos is doing is not the kind of straightforward talk we are enjoined upon in the Scripture. The marketing price gimmick sometimes misleads the customer. 

We all love logos and their people ^ ^ I pray that they will keep earning money and be the light in this e-ministry

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 9:11 AM

James Alexander:

It's frustrating when we are offered a product that is 80% off, only to find out that this is off of the "Suggested Retail Price," and that the reality is the sale is on a few dollars less than the "Regular Logos Price." Before you ask, no I'm not referring to any specific Logos product, just their pricing in general.

This is getting better. I recently received a mail flyer from Logos, and it clearly laid out the different prices, as in "$x.xx off of the list price, and $x.xx off our normal sale price". With a further explanation of something like: "you will save $x.xx more than our regular sale price"

I was pleasantly surprised that it was not deceptive in anyway. Good show, I say Yes

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 230
Pastor James | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 9:25 AM

Does anyone know what the regular Logos price is for the A.W. Tozer Collction?

Page 3 of 7 (128 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS