Bug: Logos 4.5 Beta 9 Bible Word Study with Logos LXX

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 14 2011 2:40 AM | Locked

Seems bit buggy for a custom Bible Word Study to have the same translation ring for ESV and Logos LXX:

Custom BWS has Logos LXX section, which is nominally closed from last use.  Clicking triangle to expand seems to automatically change "Logos LXX" to "ESV", then clicking settings to change to Logos LXX has no effect.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:56 AM | Locked

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Seems bit buggy for a custom Bible Word Study to have the same translation ring for ESV and Logos LXX

Just to be clear on the cause of the problem:

• Your BWS is on a Greek word. For most of your translation wheel sections, Greek is the secondary line of the interlinear.
  • But for the LXX, Greek is the primary line.
  • Unfortunately, when doing a Translation wheel in the LXX, Logos only accepts Hebrew words (from the secondary line).
  • Therefore Logos displays the wheel of your default translation instead.

So, the bug is that LXX translation wheels only accept Hebrew words, not Greek words, whilst English translation wheels accept words in English, Greek, or Hebrew.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 9200
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 12:11 PM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

So, the bug is that LXX translation wheels only accept Hebrew words, not Greek words, whilst English translation wheels accept words in English, Greek, or Hebrew.

All translation sections only accept words in the source language(s) for that particular translation:

• ESV is a translation from Hebrew and Greek to English, so the "Translation | ESV" section can accept words in Hebrew or Greek
  • LXX is a translation from Hebrew to Greek, so the "Translation | Logos LXX" section can only accept words in Hebrew.
The "Greek Words", "Hebrew Words", and "Septuagint Translation" sections are very similar, but go in the other direction. They're also limited in what they can accept. The bug is that the "Translation | Logos LXX" isn't automatically hidden when a custom BWS is run on "invalid" input, in the way that "Greek Words" or "Septuagint Translation" are automatically hidden.

Posts 36072
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:22 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
LXX is a translation from Hebrew to English, so the "Translation | Logos LXX" section can only accept words in Hebrew.

Er .. ah ... the LXX itself is a translation from Hebrew into Greek. Breton's translation is from Greek into English. I think you misspoke 'cause I know you know it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:26 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
The "Greek Words", "Hebrew Words", and "Septuagint Translation" sections are very similar, but go in the other direction.

Sorry, I had forgotten that they were different sections from 'Translation', given the visual similarity.

Bradley Grainger:
The bug is that the "Translation | Logos LXX" isn't automatically hidden when a custom BWS is run on "invalid" input, in the way that "Greek Words" or "Septuagint Translation" are automatically hidden.

This bug also shows itself when you run the Translation module for the 1984 NIV, the NLT or the LEB for a Hebrew word. It shows your default Bible instead, which can be confusing.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 9200
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:36 PM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

Bradley Grainger:
The bug is that the "Translation | Logos LXX" isn't automatically hidden when a custom BWS is run on "invalid" input, in the way that "Greek Words" or "Septuagint Translation" are automatically hidden.

This bug also shows itself when you run the Translation module for the 1984 NIV, the NLT or the LEB for a Hebrew word. It shows your default Bible instead, which can be confusing.

Thanks for noting this; I had forgotten that "twist" on the bug.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 9:08 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
LXX is a translation from Hebrew to Greek, so the "Translation | Logos LXX" section can only accept words in Hebrew.

Thanks for explanation. Personally was trying to use Bible Word Study (BWS) as part of follow-up to thread => Searching for a Particular ENGLISH translation in the LXX so was looking for English translation in LXX of a Greek word.

A BWS pop-up for translation bible choices helps explain bugginess:

Likewise learned  doing a BWS for man (English) does not hide Hebrew Words section for Logos LXX, but does turn grey when clicked to expand.

Wonder if Lexham LXX Interlinear could be added to custom BWS section choices ? (e.g. Greek Words)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS