Planning Out Upgrades

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:22 AM

I'm looking for some advice on upgrade planning and particularly some insight into how Logos sales pro-rates package prices (if they do at all). Right now I have the Original Language library with a very few additions (a few CP titles, AYBD, planning to add the Tyndale commentaries soon). There's nothing in Scholar's that looks compelling to me, but I could see myself upgrading to Silver or Gold down the line. It'll probably be a few years before I'm ready to drop that much money at once though.

Here's my question. If I were to buy resources now that are included in those base packages, am I wasting my money in the long run? There's not a whole lot that I would want right now, mostly Bible translations (I'd like to add both NIVs, HCSB, and NLT at least). If I buy these now will Logos count them towards the purchase of a base package in the future, at least partially, or is it just a sunk cost?

Posts 2751
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:34 AM

whilst I would advise you pray carefully over it,. you could spread the payments of gold over a perios of time, albeith there is a admin charge which may put you off

Personally I punted for Platinum, but had gold which is very good value, some of the platinum stuff was witdrawn by Baker, so is slightly less appealing,

If you can afford gold I would, but be a good steward foremost..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 22
Chris White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:41 AM

mitchellisdumb:

Here's my question. If I were to buy resources now that are included in those base packages, am I wasting my money in the long run? There's not a whole lot that I would want right now, mostly Bible translations (I'd like to add both NIVs, HCSB, and NLT at least). If I buy these now will Logos count them towards the purchase of a base package in the future, at least partially, or is it just a sunk cost?

That's a good question.  It would depend on the type/amount of resources from the Silver/Gold packages that you were interested in.  I can tell you the thought process that went into my decision to buy the base package I did, and then upgrade.  I started out at Silver and the main reason was the NAC commentaries and ECF volumes.  I thought those would be invaluable to my studies and have not proven me wrong.  The price of those sets on their own are more than the difference between Scholar's and Silver so that made my decision much easier.

This past December I upgraded to Gold.  The main reason was to get the NIGTC set, and again it was a question of how much it would cost me to purchase that commentary set on my own vs. how much it would cost me to upgrade to Gold.  I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but I think the cost of upgrading to Gold wasn't much higher than purchasing that commentary set on its own.  So again, the decision was easy.  However, I decided NOT to upgrade to Platinum because the main resource I wanted (Pillar NT commentary) was made available for a very low price (so low that the price only lasted a day) during the 12 Days of Logos sale.  And since the 10 volume set is what comes with Platinum (vs. the 14 volume set I was able to acquire) it made my decision easy to move up to Gold, and not Platinum.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but hopefully it sheds a little light on the way one can approach the decision to upgrade.  I'm also in seminary so the discount really helps.  I'm sure other forum members could better answer whether sales would give you a discount on a package based on how many resources from that package you already have in your collection.  My advice to you would be to call Logos and see what quote they give you to upgrade to Silver and Gold.  Then, take those amounts and see how much the resources you really want from those packages would cost to acquire.  Of course, if you have $100 to spend on resources now, and can really use those resources, then it might be wise to go ahead and do that rather than waiting months or years to save up for the package that contains them.

You'll probably get a wide variety of answers, but that's my two cents for what it's worth. 

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:44 AM

I bought UBS Translators Handbooks, about $800, I think, and only got offered  about $200 off Gold or Platinum.  Tho for a recently purchased Greek Testament or LXX or something, I was offered credit on the whole price when I upgraded to scholars.  I'm not quite sure how it works.  Same sales rep, and he's usually verey generous with discounts, but it seems his hands were tied re UBS handbooks.  I could have upgraded to scholars gold outright for less than I paid for UBS and Greek and Hebrew testaments, but didn't know it then.  

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:47 AM

Observation: Scholar's Gold includes my favorite commentary series => UBS New Testament Handbook Series and => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series so upgrading is a better deal than individual purchase.  Beyond Scholar's Gold, would look at => Master Library Builder (2,010 vols.) that has been on sale in December past couple years, but do not know if sale repeat planned for this year.

Thankful for Logos payment plan option to spread out payments; albeit does have monthly processing fee.  If pay off balance, no more processing fees.

mitchellisdumb:
If I buy these now will Logos count them towards the purchase of a base package in the future, at least partially, or is it just a sunk cost?

Depends a bit on upgrade timing.  If buy Bibles now, then upgrade in a few years, not much difference (if any).  However, if buy Bibles now, then upgrade next month, suspect full Bible purchase amount would be applied toward purchase; recommend discussing with Logos Sales => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Logos offers 30 days to return purchase(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 10:23 AM

nicky crane:

I bought UBS Translators Handbooks, about $800, I think, and only got offered  about $200 off Gold or Platinum.  Tho for a recently purchased Greek Testament or LXX or something, I was offered credit on the whole price when I upgraded to scholars.  I'm not quite sure how it works.  Same sales rep, and he's usually verey generous with discounts, but it seems his hands were tied re UBS handbooks.  I could have upgraded to scholars gold outright for less than I paid for UBS and Greek and Hebrew testaments, but didn't know it then.  

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Depends a bit on upgrade timing.  If buy Bibles now, then upgrade in a few years, not much difference (if any).  However, if buy Bibles now, then upgrade next month, suspect full Bible purchase amount would be applied toward purchase; recommend discussing with Logos Sales => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Logos offers 30 days to return purchase(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Thanks also to everybody for the suggestions on packages and payment plans. My wife and I have decided to stay out of debt completely right now, particularly since I will be going to Seminary soon and taking out student loans, so payment plans aren't an option unless I get to the point where I legitimately need a higher base package in order to continue my studies.

I think for now I'll avoid buying any big-ticket items that I may get as part of a base package in the future, but I'll probably take advantage of a few of the $10 Bible deals. In fact, I just noticed that the NIV2011 has been knocked down to $10.

Posts 2751
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:04 AM

mitchellisdumb:
I will be going to Seminary soo

maybe see if you seminary uses Logos, ans ask Logos what the Academic price might be - could be worth waiting till you are a Student.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 1:23 PM

DominicM:

mitchellisdumb:
I will be going to Seminary soo

maybe see if you seminary uses Logos, ans ask Logos what the Academic price might be - could be worth waiting till you are a Student.

Especially if Logos is required for class (best academic discount).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 1:49 PM

Yep, that's definitely the plan prior to picking up any new packages or major resources. I picked up the NLT, NIV11, and JPS Tanakh today. Wishing I had the reverse interlinears for the first two, but I'm ok with waiting on that.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS