grammatical search of the genitive case in the Greek New Testatment

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Terry M. Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 5 2012 7:46 AM

HELP!!! I need to construct a grammatical search for the following:

Noun (not genitive) followed by a genitive noun within two words in Greek New Testament

Noun (not genitive) followed by genitive noun within one word in Greek New Testament

Noun + Genitive within 2 words in Greek New Testament Head Noun ends in -ia

Posts 25131
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:19 AM

Hi Terry - and welcome to the forums.

To carry out the first two searches you want a Morph search - for details of constructing these, please see http://wiki.logos.com/Morphological_Search

For the first you want something like:

I am using the NIV but you can use any New Testament with Greek morphology

The second is the same structure but "WITHIN 1 WORD"

The third is the difficult one - not in structure but in performance.

You could use a search string like - "lemma:*ια@N WITHIN 2 WORDS @NG" which should give you what you want (although I can't worked out how to do this for the non-lemma form) but doing a wildcard search on the entire New Testament will take a long time.

Hope this helps - and that someone can come up with a better suggestion for your last case!

Graham

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 7:14 PM

Terry M. Turner:
HELP!!! I need to construct a grammatical search for the following:

Welcome Big Smile

Terry M. Turner:
Noun (not genitive) followed by a genitive noun within two words in Greek New Testament

Observation: WITHIN searches in both directions: BEFORE and AFTER while using BEFORE fits the "followed by" criteria:

@N[^G] BEFORE 2 WORDS @NG

Caveat: since Greek word order can be changed for emphasis, searching using WITHIN would be prudent.

Found a bit of a puzzle: changing from Morph Search to Bible Search allowed for a Grid search, whose results have some oddities among Logos Greek Morphology resources:

Posted thread in a Beta forum that Logos 4 developers tend to read => Logos 4.5b Beta 2 Morph Search Grid Results Puzzling ? ?

Terry M. Turner:
Noun (not genitive) followed by genitive noun within one word in Greek New Testament

@N[^G] BEFORE 1 WORD @NG

Terry M. Turner:
Noun + Genitive within 2 words in Greek New Testament Head Noun ends in -ia

Caveat: noun ending in -ia has three lemma accents: unaccented, acute, and circumflex.

After searching some, appears only acute accented -ia lemma's occur within 2 words of a genitive noun:

lemma:*ία WITHIN 2 WORDS @NG

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS