Questionable "Bible Study Magazine" Ad

Page 7 of 7 (138 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
This post has 137 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:33 PM

MJ. Smith:

DMB:
I also think the pie discussion is in contrast to Josh; it's clearly meant to offend him.

While I suspect it was an honest attempt to derail the debate since nothing else had worked, I do agree its not the best mechanism. The moving of the debate to Faithlife was a very good idea that I wish I had thought of.

Since I posted the first "pie" note, I'll respond for those of us that viewed it as a humorous attempt to defuse a (clearly) inappropriate discussion.  Several took it in the spirit it was offered, but I apologize to DMB and Josh for any unintended slight... it was only intended as an opportunity to stop, smile, and bleed off a little of the emotion.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:39 PM

Brother Mark:

Since I posted the first "pie" note, I'll respond for those of us that viewed it as a humorous attempt to defuse a (clearly) inappropriate discussion.  Several took it in the spirit it was offered, but I apologize to DMB and Josh for any unintended slight... it was only intended as an opportunity to stop, smile, and bleed off a little of the emotion.

so I don't get that piece of pumkin pie - bummer Crying

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 2393
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:45 PM

Brother Mark:

I am the one that posted the digits of pi.  I did not see that someone was slighted by the pi remarks.  You can add me to the apologizes list. Sorry.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:28 PM

David Ames:

Brother Mark:

I am the one that posted the digits of pi.  I did not see that someone was slighted by the pi remarks.  You can add me to the apologizes list. Sorry.

Oh, c'mon now, I wouldn’t worry too much about Josh, I think he took his toys and went home….I think we made him upset..he won't talk to us.

but ya got to admit it was interesting how it went from just complaining about an ad in a magezine to calling people heretics and the like....I invited him to the faithlife group - but I dunno....

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 1:23 AM

Room4more:

David Ames:

Brother Mark:

Oh, c'mon now, I wouldn’t worry too much about Josh, I think he took his toys and went home….I think we made him upset..he won't talk to us.

but ya got to admit it was interesting how it went from just complaining about an ad in a magezine to calling people heretics and the like....I invited him to the faithlife group - but I dunno....

Josh made a serious point about about the proper scope of Logos business, he was told that this is not the place for pressing the point so he withdrew. It is in very poor taste to have a go at him for doing so and it is just as out of bounds to keep presenting a position that something is not heretical as the opposite. This board should not be a forum for repeatedly pushing a theological position that many find absolutely disgusting.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 4:21 AM

Mike Pettit:
Josh made a serious point about about the proper scope of Logos business, he was told that this is not the place for pressing the point so he withdrew. It is in very poor taste to have a go at him for doing so and it is just as out of bounds to keep presenting a position that something is not heretical as the opposite. This board should not be a forum for repeatedly pushing a theological position that many find absolutely disgusting.
Yes

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 4:24 AM

Mike Pettit:

Yes he did, he should get a medal. No, he withdrew because he started throwing stones. No one is 'having a go at him', but if you consider one as heretical as the other, then by all means come to the faithlife group and voice your opinion. As to 'repeatedly pushing your position', isn't that what you are doing now?

It's been noticed others have......

Did ya hear the one where the pot called the kettle black.......

Thanks.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 4:39 AM

Straight-up:

I've noticed this more often and I do not understand most of you all here, you play your harp's about the forum guidelines, but then it's like the same people that do all the harp playing are the same one's that want to be the Regulator's but on the side are doing just the opposite. I don't get it.....are there two different sets of 'forum guidelines'?

No need to answer just ponder the statement......

Thanks. R4m.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 6:55 AM

Room4more:
Yes he did, he should get a medal. No, he withdrew because he started throwing stones. No one is 'having a go at him'

As I see it, what Josh was doing was wrong.  He was called out because of it, and he stopped.  Now, what you are doing is equally wrong, and you have been called out on it.  No one is playing by different rules.  Both of you are throwing stones (different stones, but still stones).  He quite, and you have not.  Please stop throwing your stones.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 7:14 AM

tom collinge:

As I see it, what Josh was doing was wrong.  He was called out because of it, and he stopped.  Now, what you are doing is equally wrong, and you have been called out on it.  No one is playing by different rules.  Both of you are throwing stones (different stones, but still stones).  He quite, and you have not.  Please stop throwing your stones.

Thanks Tom,

How quick we are to turn….But nevertheless. Lynden has provided a group in Faithlife, And, I would think that all those who made gestures would be more than eager to jump in and correct me – but they have not. So……

So, in the real world, I have only encouraged those to join me – how is that wrong? Is it possible that the bark is louder than the bite? And they brought the woman taken in adultry to him and accused her.......but they all left, one at a time - paraphrased.

Big Smile , Thanks. 

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 10:03 AM

Room4more:
So, in the real world, I have only encouraged those to join me – how is that wrong?

For me as a reader, your invitation did not sound like an invitation.  For me, your invitation sounded more antagonistic.

Posts 98
Ed Blough | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 10:13 AM

Everyone is getting tangled up in the theology of the ad placer consider the ad and it's appearance, in a magazine titled "Bible StudyMagazine"

I question how BSM can claim to be a serious Bible Study Magazine and carry ads that basically say if you aren't reading the King James Version of the scripture you aren't reading the Word of God.  It would be similar to Car and Driver magazine running an ad that says Chevolet is the only real automobile in existence today.

Think of the implication to Car and Driver magazine, if that ad were true why buy Car and Driver Magazine all the reviews not on Chevy have to be made up.

Likewise why do any Bible study it has been done for you and put into King's English all you have to do is read and accept it so why buy Bible Study Magazine.

One could also conclude that since the ad claims that KJV is the Word of God then in fact there would be no need for Logos and it's language tools.   So one of Logos'  claim to fame, "excellent original language study tools" is really not need and since BSM which is an arm of Logos ran an ad that said as much it must be true.

Did anyone on the BSM staff give any thought to the implications of this Ad?

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 10:23 AM

tom collinge:

Room4more:
Yes he did, he should get a medal. No, he withdrew because he started throwing stones. No one is 'having a go at him'

Yes

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 10:24 AM

tom collinge:

Room4more:
So, in the real world, I have only encouraged those to join me – how is that wrong?

For me as a reader, your invitation did not sound like an invitation.  For me, your invitation sounded more antagonistic.

Yes

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 10:32 AM

tom collinge:

Room4more:

See Tom, it did not matter. People still read what I said, again, And they still posted, and ignored it. What you might call antagonistic I see as an honest request. It was mention to move it – it was moved – - - -

“Woman, where are your accusers?”

Whisper Thanks.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:17 AM

Just for those who question Logos running of the ad in their magazine[just so there is no confusion, go to faithlife and type in 'Mormon' - you may be surprised] Big Smile:

http://carm.org/comparison-between-christian-doctrine-and-mormon-doctrine

http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=the+book+of+mormon

EDIT:

This sounds familiar:

Now if Logos created a Mormon base package along with a video series that helped Mormons use Logos within a Mormon Scripture study methodology - that would be a different story. This would be Logos clearly promoting the propagation of the Mormon faith as a legitimate "Christian" faith. To me this would be unacceptable. Could Logos do this? Yes. But because of the nature of their product - namely the Bible - many of its users would be offended and outraged. (http://community.logos.com/forums/p/44253/332278.aspx#332278 same as this thread -perhaps)

-'nough said...Zip it!.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 1:34 PM

R4M,

Why must you keep throwing stones, to use your words, at Josh?  You are being passive aggressive, and I have reported this post for abuse. 

Posts 141
Jonathan Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 1:49 PM

I think it would be best if we let this thread fade away. We all know that discussing theology and doctrine is against forum guidelines, and we would ask you to respect that.

Further, I believe that a case has been made both for and against the ad being run in Bible Study Magazine. Please direct any further comments to John Barry: john@biblestudymagazine.com

Thank you for your respect in this matter.

Page 7 of 7 (138 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS