BUG? Weird selection of Parallel Resources

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 1 2012 10:45 AM

I was looking at Ps 32:2 in all my Hebrew Bibles in order to investigate Hebrew definitions in the Mac version, when I began to find the Parallel Resources a bit weird:

All of those Qumran fragments opened to the very beginning, and none of them seemed to include Ps 32. So what are they doing in my list?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1729
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2012 1:00 PM

It looks like you're using a custom collection included in your parallel resource sets. 

Can you copy the rule used to generate that collection? Are those Qumran fragments included in that collection?

Thanks,

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2012 1:43 PM

Hunter Clagett:

It looks like you're using a custom collection included in your parallel resource sets. 

Can you copy the rule used to generate that collection?

The simplest possible: type:bible lang:hebrew.

Hunter Clagett:
Are those Qumran fragments included in that collection?

Consequently, yes, but so are a couple of hundred others. They shouldn't show up unless they include the verse in question.

The same fragments also show up as headings in TC, but, naturally, without any text under. (Making all the real texts show as 100% different, which isn't very helpful either.)

(And as usual TC drives me crazy, automatically reverting to my Bibles, all collection as soon as I touch anything. When are you finally going to fix that bug? It makes TC essentially useless.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2012 1:17 PM

Bump.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 8:27 PM

fgh:
All of those Qumran fragments opened to the very beginning, and none of them seemed to include Ps 32. So what are they doing in my list?

Can replicate issue in Text Comparison using Logos 4.6 SR-2 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Windows 7:

Noticed 6 Dead Sea Scroll resources appear in Text Comparison of Psalms 32, which do not have any Psalms 32 fragments.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 5:44 PM

Bump. 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3196
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 12:04 PM

I filed separate cases for the Text comparison results and Parallel Resources results just in case they were not connected. 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 10:44 PM

Thanks. Finally!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 12245
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 2:29 AM

fgh:

Hunter Clagett:

Can you copy the rule used to generate that collection?

The simplest possible: type:bible lang:hebrew.

Hunter Clagett:
Are those Qumran fragments included in that collection?

Consequently, yes, but so are a couple of hundred others. They shouldn't show up unless they include the verse in question.

while you're right with that, let me re-iterate the root cause of your issue seems to be the mis-tagging of these fragments. A brick is no house, and a Qumran fragment is no bible. They should have their own type.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 3:11 AM

NB.Mick:
a Qumran fragment is no bible. They should have their own type.

You keep saying that, and I keep wondering why? 

NB.Mick:
the root cause of your issue seems to be the mis-tagging of these fragments. (...) a Qumran fragment is no bible

It seems likely that the root cause is some kind of mis-tagging, but certainly not that one. If they changed the type, all fragments would disappear from TC and Parallel Resources. I would then have to adapt the Collection rule, which would immediately bring these 'offensive' fragments back again, leaving me no better off than I am now. How can something that would give me extra work while leaving the problem in place be the 'root cause'?

Biblical fragments from Qumran are Bible text, and I want them to show up in TC and Parallel Resources -- only not when they don't include the verse I'm looking at. 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 12245
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 4:35 AM

fgh:

NB.Mick:
a Qumran fragment is no bible. They should have their own type.

You keep saying that, and I keep wondering why? 

because - at least for my way of study - they get in the way. Especially in the library. But collections help (now in the library as well).

Let's look here:

Logos figured (left-hand side of parallel resources) that for me, a likely parallel to NIV would come from co-members of my collection "English Bibles" - and that's great. Note I'm running under 5.1 latest beta, don't know if/when this changed, I seem to remember only one = the right-hand column of parallel resources sometime back) 

Looking at the "all parallel resources", coming from Mt1:8 it does list only bibles tagged accordingly. For me, "The Text of the Earliest NT Greek Manuscripts" is a bible and it is featured (green above). The manuscript resources are 100% redundant copies from this  resource (okay, the editorial process went the other way round...). P1 really does contain Mt 1 (yellow), P45, P53 and 0171 (red) only contain other texts from Matthew. 

fgh:
It seems likely that the root cause is some kind of mis-tagging, but certainly not that one.

The reason they come up as parallel resources is that they contain a tagging "Matthew" not restricted to chapters - interestingly P1 doesn't, it gives Mt 1 (but would come up as a parallel when you look at a verse from that chapter not contained in P1). 

The tagging issue is existent in TENTGM and also in the manuscript resources. 

fgh:
If they changed the type, all fragments would disappear from TC and Parallel Resources.

For me, this would be a good thing. I rarely look at the manuscript fragments and I'd assume that most Logos users do the same - when sorting the library was discussed in the past, it turned out that people aren't annoyed by seeing the fragments on top because they have hidden them anyway - and it's a conscious decision to say: "I want to dig down into the original manuscripts now." whereas checking the parallels or the edited Greek text is at a more usual, day-to-day level of study.

But who am I to tell.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 27420
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 5:13 PM

What a fascinating discussion. I don't think Qumran resources will be re-categorised just because they are fragments, leaving the choice to hide them as I do for other fragments like Targums and all the Earliest NT Manuscripts series except for TENTGM. The bible milestone tags should be redone because they are plain inconsistent - they should be at the chapter level, not book level. That would solve some of the issue with appearing in Parallel Resources. The algorithm for resolving a reference to a resource is similar to that used in Passage Guide in that it will find the verse nearest to the one sought, even if that is at the chapter level. Resolving to verse level for inclusion in Parallel Resources or PG would be too exclusive.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS