Retina Macbook Pro and Logos - I have one

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 61
Adam Crafton | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 17 2012 7:29 AM

I have one of the new Macbook pros.  My initial observations with Logos are as follows:

* The home screen is beautiful.  Everything renders at high(er) resolution and looks great.  Not just the ribbon but all of the content.

* However, once you open a book the resolution falls apart for the content.  The Logos windows, titles, etc, all look great.  The books are the problem almost to the point that you don't want to use it.

*  It is scary fast.

Let me know if anyone has a specific question and I'll try to answer.

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2012 10:55 AM

Are you using the release build of L4, or the beta?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 61
Adam Crafton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2012 11:40 AM

Release build.

Do you think there would be a difference with the Beta?

Posts 509
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2012 1:18 PM

Adam,

Are you able to post screen shots?

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2012 1:30 PM

Adam Crafton:
The books are the problem almost to the point that you don't want to use it.
WOW, this is why I use L4 - to read books.

Posts 328
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2012 1:54 PM

I am being tempted on both coveting and jealousy. Is that a Christian thing for you to do? :).

Posts 2853
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 9:13 AM

Adam Crafton:

The books are the problem almost to the point that you don't want to use it.

Can you be more specific? What's the problem? Does text look fuzzy, blurry, too small?

Posts 61
Adam Crafton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 10:20 AM

Yes, they are fuzzy and pixelated.  It may not be so bad if you weren't going from stunning display to it. . .

Some apps are clearly better than others (I am speaking of apps that haven't been updated).  Logos itself (menus, windows, etc.) all look great.  It is the books that look bad.

In the attached screen shot notice that the NASB and DBL greek look bad. . but the Info and Text Comparison on the look very good.

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 11:13 AM

Adam Crafton:
Some apps are clearly better than others (I am speaking of apps that haven't been updated).  Logos itself (menus, windows, etc.) all look great.  It is the books that look bad.

Thanks for the screen shot. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2749
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 11:23 AM

I can just imagine the fighting going on in the Logos Mac dev department to work on the problem....Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3189
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 11:23 AM

Adam Crafton:

Yes, they are fuzzy and pixelated.  It may not be so bad if you weren't going from stunning display to it. . .

In the attached screen shot notice that the NASB and DBL greek look bad. . but the Info and Text Comparison on the look very good.

Your results look fairly similar to the screenshot comparison on the Verge's article about how to change screen settings: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/12/3079887/retina-display-new-macbook-pro-apps. Annoying, but not earth shatteringly bad. 

I'll send a note over to Development, and include this thread.

Adam, have you played around with your screen settings, and if not can you see they change your results at all?

I'm not sure if Development has one of the RD MBPs on order or not. This issue might give them an excuse to, but I have no idea where this issue would be on the hierarchy of issues to deal with. It could be that any potential 10.8 issues that may exist will trump this for a while yet. 

Posts 1563
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 19 2012 4:42 AM

What's the barefoot icon in the Dock? I'm a barefoot/Five Fingers runner, and curious. Thanks

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 20
QWL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 19 2012 7:53 AM

Hi, Adam

Can you kindly comment on the gloss of the Retina screen compared to the glossy screens of existing MBPs?

Thanks.

Posts 61
Adam Crafton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 19 2012 2:46 PM

Much less than my old 11 inch MBP.  A nice middle ground between glossy (which I didn't like) and full dull which I wasn't happy about. . .

I like it.

Posts 53
Daniel Bergquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 8:04 PM

As I have noted elsewhere, Logos uses a third-party version of WebKit, an HTML rendering engine. They use it so they don't risk having rendering clobbered by an update to Mac OS X's built-in WebKit version.

Judging from the tremendous portion of the .app bundle size that this third-party library (in computers, a library is a collection of related and reusable code) makes up (approximately 1/5), I would wager that Logos is concerned about breaking something pretty major in the application. Now, this is just conjecture, but I would wager they are concerned about breaking the rendering of the books.

If this is the case, then updating the books to render at full resolution may not be fully in Logo's hands. This is one of the trade-offs of using a third-party version of a OS library, you get stability (that is, it doesn't change much or often so things are less likely to break) at the expense of not being in sync with the OS version. 

12-Core Mac Pro, MacBook 2.0 GHz Core Duo, Mac mini

Favorites: http://www.piratechristianradio.com http://issuesetc.org

Posts 61
Adam Crafton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 6:29 AM

I loaded Logos up on a Win 7 bootcamp partition on the new machine to see what it looked like and while it is still not as good as it could/should be it is much better looking than on the Mac side.

Again, it isn't bad on the Mac side unless you are using it and comparing it to retina ready apps, etc.

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 9:44 AM

I trust that the resolution issue on books (obviously the most important part of the program) will get resolved.  What caught my eye is that Logos is "scary fast"!  I've never experienced that--even when I purchased the latest Mac hardware in 2010.  Almost every day I wonder, "why was the 'performance ticket' closed out because it was now good enough?"  Shows up most in Menu performance and scrolling. 

Ross

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 11:12 AM

I looked at one in the store the other day. The salesperson did a 'select all' and opened all the applications at once. Just like a machine gun, they fired up. It was impressive.

The difficulty I see is that at least for early adopters the price point of 250GB is steep and can potentially be a decrease in hard drive space for some users. I have a 320GB drive that 190 GB is used. While what I currently have would fit onto one of these new machines, the general rule of thumb is that our requirements for space and speed are increasing, not decreasing. So I would be nervous that in a couple of years I would be regretting having only a 250GB flash drive.  Yet the 500 GB drive is even at a higher price point which can make your eyes water.

So my view is that this is definitely the future and I won't be an early adopter as I need to wait until the 500 GB unit comes down. My fear is that with this extra horsepower and speed is that Logos will decide to decide to design an app that is even more demanding and we'll be waiting for the next revolution in computer hardware to run it. Until then, these units will be wonderful.

I might say that the Retina screen is awesome. I already have this on my iPhone and iPad.  The difference is wonderful and it will be nice when the text in Logos can take advantage of it.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 12:03 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
your eyes water.

Off topic but about three or four comments up, Daniel has a 12 core Mac Pro.  I guess my wallet would weep also.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS