Bible and resource link frustration

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 18 2013 6:50 AM

I had another thread about this problem a while ago.  No answers were produced.

I have a link between my bible and commentary.  Prior to Logos 5 my commentary would very politely follow my bible wether I jumped to a passage or scrolled.  During scrolling the commentary would jump to its next section as I scrolled my bible.  If I stopped scrolling my bible the commentary would stay where it was.

The bible and commentary played nice together.

Ever since "upgrading" to Logos 5 for Mac the commentary acts like it's the master.  When I start scrolling through my bible the commentary link will force my bible to jump to match it's section of verses.

THIS IS EXTREMELY IRRITATING when trying to read a bible passage or when jumping to a specific verse.  I enter a verse and if it's in the middle of a commentary section the commentary will force the bible passage to move a second or so after the bible brings me to the specific verse.  So I begin to read the verse, it jumps, and then I have to find my place.

I'm all up to date.  I use to love the Logos software but I'm getting tired of using it.  I'm STUCK with it now that I've spent so much money on it but I will no longer suggest it to others.  This should be a very simple fix.  It worked well in Logos 4 and Logos 4 for Mac was an incomplete software package!

Very simple concept, bible is the master (or the whatever is open in the first plane) and every other linked resource is the slave.  The slave should NEVER force the master to align itself with the slave resource.

Sorry if I'm coming across as not being polite but this bug is extremely frustrating.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 18 2013 7:04 AM

No need to apologize for not being polite. At least at the same time you're not being polite.  Maybe later.

The behavior you're describing is likely an aberration that needs to be checked out. Especially since it would quickly drive everyone crazy (and it hasn't). Mine works fine.  So let's not whack your friends yet.

Regarding master/slave, the first panel won't likely work, since people re-arrange their windows and even have multiple windows and multiple screens. But to have an option to designate a 'master' (as currently an option for a target) would meet your needs.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 24606
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 18 2013 7:07 AM

Greg M:
Ever since "upgrading" to Logos 5 for Mac the commentary acts like it's the master.  When I start scrolling through my bible the commentary link will force my bible to jump to match it's section of verses.

Can you provide more details please?

Which Bible translation are you using and which commentary do you have linked?

I ask because I have just tried this - admittedly on Windows - and it works fine.

I'm trying to understand whether it is a Mac-specific issue or related to particular resources.

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 18 2013 7:27 AM

I'm using NIV and BKC most of the time.  It isn't something that happens every time but happens much of the time.  It happens often every time I use Logos but when trying to duplicate it the problem doesn't occur every instance.  

I hope the fix isn't having to use the windows version.

Posts 24606
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 18 2013 11:09 AM

Greg M:
I'm using NIV and BKC most of the time.

I can't reproduce it with those resources.

Greg M:
I hope the fix isn't having to use the windows version.

I would be very surprised but it would be useful if another Mac user can test this and let us know how they get on.

Posts 26579
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 18 2013 12:29 PM

Greg M:
I had another thread about this problem a while ago.  No answers were produced.

I read the previous discussion in the forums and am wondering if you have contacted Logos Support, because they can log onto your computer to see what is happening?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 6:20 AM

I looked at the support page and it looks to me like they say to post in the forums.  I do see that I should have posted with a keyword in the title like "bug" but I don't know how to change the title name now.

It seems random but I think I might have figured it out.  I'll go through the steps I did to repeat what happens.  I'm using the latest update to Logos 5 on a retina MBP.

1)  Open Logos

2)  type mat 19 4

wait a second or two and the passage will jump

3)  type gen 1 18

wait for the jump after each of these references

4)  type mat 3 2

5)  type rev 19 21

6)  type joh 14 6

Each passage will jump the first time that it's visited during the session that Logos is open but if you visit or scroll in that passage another time during the same session it will not jump.  Close Logos and reopen it and it will again jump when you first visit the passage.  It will do the same thing when scrolling.

I tried the same sequence on a laptop that I have that still has Logos 4 on it and it does not behave like this.

Posts 24606
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 7:12 AM

Greg M:
Each passage will jump the first time that it's visited during the session that Logos is open but if you visit or scroll in that passage another time during the same session it will not jump.  Close Logos and reopen it and it will again jump when you first visit the passage.  It will do the same thing when scrolling.

I've gone through the same steps using NIV and BKC and no jumps

Are you using Windows or Mac?

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 7:18 AM

Greg M:
When I start scrolling through my bible the commentary link will force my bible to jump to match it's section of verses.

hmm . . . That sounds like a bug to me. I've passed it along to our development team.

RD3

Logos Marketing | ray.deck@logos.com

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 8:15 AM

Greg,

Could you produce a screencast of the problem? It's still not 100% clear exactly how the error is being caused (for example, we don't know your exact layout, how resources are linked, etc.). It's possible, for example, that the problem is being caused by a third linked resource that's interfering with things. A screencast (or at the very least a screenshot) of the error would help to eliminate potential causes of this issue.

If you don't already have screencast software, you could use Jing for free.

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 8:45 AM

Using Mac

Only 2 sources are linked 

I've got multiple sources opened in tabs in 2 widows

Bible is on the left and BKC is on the right

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 8:51 AM

We're happy to try and help, but without a screencast it's much harder to diagnose the problem. This is not a widely reported problem, and therefore is something specific about your set-up that is causing it. We can guess what that might be, but if we can see your set-up it will save everyone a lot of time. 

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 9:02 AM

I'll work on it later today.  I'm assuming that you want me to record myself replicating this problem, correct?

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 9:17 AM

Greg M:
I'm assuming that you want me to record myself replicating this problem, correct?

That would be ideal. I can't guarantee that a screencast will solve the problem, but it will certainly allow many others to attempt to reproduce it accurately, and significantly narrow down the possibilities.

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 11:48 AM

Here it is.  Copy and paste in a new window.

http://www.dslrcameras.com/Logos_bug.swf

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 12:23 PM

Thanks for the demo. That really helps us to see what's happening. Can you do the same thing, but without any other resources open? (No need to upload a screencast unless you want to — just test it with only the NIV84 and BKC open.)

Also, could any friendly Mac users watch the video and see if you can reproduce? I can't reproduce on Windows.

Posts 24606
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 12:24 PM

Greg M:

Here it is.  Copy and paste in a new window.

http://www.dslrcameras.com/Logos_bug.swf

Thanks Greg

Following the steps you take I see the problem some of the time - but not consistently.

This, now, reminds me of earlier discussions where the commenatry which is being used doesn't have separate comments for each verse.

Hopefully this will help the developers track what is happening

Graham

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 12:33 PM

Closed everything but the bible and commentary.  Still does the same thing.

Posts 2524
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 12:37 PM

I am on a 2012 MBP using the latest L5 software. I can only duplicate this action if I move from making the NIV84 active to BKC active. When I do the verse range for the NIV changes to reflect BKC. The NIV does not change it's verse range unless the active resource is changed. I think this is standard processing when you have linked windows. Short of defining a "driver" window I do not see how it can be changed. In summary my verse ranges only jump around if the the active resource changes and then it defaults to the active resources.

Hope this helps.

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2013 12:56 PM

By active do you mean when the blue strip is above the resource name?  It still happens and that's the problem.  When using the bible as the active source the commentary will force it to the commentary's range even thought the bible is the active source being used.

If I close and open Logos I can replicate this 99% of the time.  As a matter of fact the only time I haven't been able to replicate it since figuring it out was in the video when entering the second verse.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS