Joel Osteen's sermon archive, PLEASE

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 4 2015 10:38 AM

Would love to have a collections of all of his sermons, better yet his LifeWorks!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 2:21 PM

From Wikipedia:  " His father, a former Southern Baptist pastor, foundedLakewood Church, of which Osteen is the current senior pastor, in the back of an old feed store.…John Osteen encouraged Joel to preach for many years, but he declined, preferring to work behind the scenes until January 17, 1999, when he accepted his father's suggestion and he preached his first sermon. John Osteen died six days later of a heart attack."

What took him so long?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4900
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 3:40 PM

George Somsel:

John Osteen encouraged Joel to preach for many years, but he declined, preferring to work behind the scenes until January 17, 1999, when he accepted his father's suggestion and he preached his first sermon. John Osteen died six days later of a heart attack."

What took him so long?

Okay, George, since you teed this one up so nicely, I'll go ahead and take a swing at it.

Was it because he didn't want to give his dad heart failure??

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 4:14 PM

David Paul:

George Somsel:

John Osteen encouraged Joel to preach for many years, but he declined, preferring to work behind the scenes until January 17, 1999, when he accepted his father's suggestion and he preached his first sermon. John Osteen died six days later of a heart attack."

What took him so long?

Okay, George, since you teed this one up so nicely, I'll go ahead and take a swing at it.

I think he means: what took his father so long to die after hearing Joel preach? ;-)

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 5:49 PM

Rosie Perera:

David Paul:

George Somsel:

What took him so long?

I think he means: what took his father so long to die after hearing Joel preach? ;-)

You are being very generous calling what he does "preaching."

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 5:55 PM

George Somsel:

From Wikipedia:  " His father, a former Southern Baptist pastor, 

Guessing this thread will likely have a "Bram Stokers Dracula" level backlash. 

The man honestly makes my skin crawl. 

The fact that he was raised southern baptist is embarrassing; though shouldn't be surprising considering his formative years would have likely been before the resurgence or the innerancy controversy whatever you like to call it. 

Here is a recent article I came across regarding mr osteen.

Toughski - if you would like, since we are both SBC, relatively young guys, in seminary, and in the ministry I will take a minute to explain my reticence towards all things Osteen if you like. My email is jcr(dot)chilis (at) that gmail email site dot com

This is my third edit. Can't seem to write something I'm happy with in regards to the man. 
Any way. I recently preached a sermon and one of the bunny trails we traveled down had to do with people in the bible knowing they were in the center of God's will. The following is sourced from a blend of tradition, and scripture.

Paul - shipwrecked, snake bit, tossed in prison, stoned, and decapitated.
James - executed by the sword of herod agrippa.
Stephen - a thorough stoning
Peter - Crucified UPSIDE DOWN.
Andrew - Hung
Thomas - Stabbed with pine spears, tortured with red hot burning metal plates, and then burned alive.
Philip was tortured and crucified.

Need I go on? Even Jesus who most would agree was in the absolute center of God's will His entire time on  earth, was mocked, beaten, scourged, spit upon, and crucified. 

Just once as a Pastor I would love for someone to come up to me and say "I know I'm doing God's will, because things are getting more difficult". Instead most of the time its more like "I was going to the grocery store to get peanut butter but I know that wasn't God's will because I got a flat tire" OR "I  know it isn't God's will for me to go into the ministry because I might take a pay cut". 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1756
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:23 PM

Must. Resist. Temptation. To. Ridicule.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:25 PM

Joel Osteen has a writing team that puts together his "messages."

I must say..........No I shouldn't

Posts 106
Kristin Dantzler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:40 PM

The OP made a legitimate request for resources he would like to see added to Logos.  The comments that followed quickly went downhill and are outside of Logos guidelines as I understand them. 

Grace be unto you.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:43 PM

Fifer Dad:
The OP made a legitimate request for resources he would like to see added to Logos.  The comments that followed quickly went downhill and are outside of Logos guidelines as I understand them. 
 Yes

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:48 PM

We have been here before.

Nevertheless, should we call out those whom we feel pervert the Word of God? Or should we extend grace and let false teachings go unchallenged?

Posts 106
Kristin Dantzler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:50 PM

In accordance with Logos guidelines, this is not the place for such observations.

At least that is my understanding.

Posts 2963
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:51 PM

toughski:

Would love to have a collections of all of his sermons, better yet his LifeWorks!

Should be super easy to do as I think there will be a very low number of links that need to be created.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:55 PM

Kent:

We have been here before.

Nevertheless, should we call out those whom we feel pervert the Word of God? Or should we extend grace and let false teachings go unchallenged?

Not here.  Because everyone can be called out for perverting the Word of God by someone else here.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 6:55 PM

Fifer Dad:

In accordance with Logos guidelines, this is not the place for such observations.

At least that is my understanding.

I think I read some other commands that supersede Logos rules. Now where was that???

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 7:46 PM

Jacob Hantla:

toughski:

Should be super easy to do as I think there will be a very low number of links that need to be created.

I was taking a sip of water when I read that. Thanks for the laugh brother :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10877
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 8:00 PM

Kent, you got a herd of horses already out of the Logos barn door.  Better get after them.  No slouching.

I think the suggestion is quite good. I'm curious what the draw is (keeping in mind the early church also had a significant draw and not a single Logos link).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 8:25 PM

toughski:

Sure, If it can garner enough support to get out of Pre-Pub. I remember Mark Driscoll's sermons did not fare so well.

* I will not buy it *

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 8:51 PM

While I agree with you about "everyone can be called out for perverting the Word of God by someone else here," yet when you have Calvinists, Arminians, Messianics, all agreeing together against Joel and when everyone from ANY solid conservative theological seminary would write off Joel's messages, that kind of puts it into a different category doesn't it? It's a little short of asking for Joseph Smith's speeches. Just my observation.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 10:12 PM

David Roberts:
It's a little short of asking for Joseph Smith's speeches. Just my observation.

What is wrong with that?

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS