NIV Interlinear

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 37
Nelson R. Pardee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 11:18 AM

I purchased Logos this year, and discovered to my chagrin that it did not come with NIV84, so purchased it (that's what we use in our church). I've been a bit slow in digging into Logos, but last couple of days have been getting serious. Going through the tutorials, remembering the advertising, I was trying to use the interlinear. I did the various research, help files, nope. Found this forum. Contacted Logos, and found that those who got 2011 in their Logos purchase won't get the NIV84 interlinear with the purchase of NIV84. Frankly, this seems wrong on a whole lot of levels- I purchased the software expecting from all the advertising to be able to use the interlinear. It seems there was information that it wasn't available somewhere in the reams of stuff to go through, but I sure don't remember it, and I spent a lot of time before I spent the kind of money Logos costs (and I did most of my research before 2011 started shipping). Even more, it would seem that the interlinear would come with the NIV84 purchase- but it doesn't. I'm guessing this is Zondervan's doing, but I have no facts. If it is their doing, it works like a push towards the ESV, just exactly what they want, I'm sure:-) Anyway, glad God is in control as I am frustrated!

Posts 5572
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 11:31 AM

You're right. This is a decision outside the control of Logos. It's Zondervan's decision, along with the translation committee.

I agree that it's a foolish decision, reminiscent of the New Coke fiasco in the 80's.I've looked at the NIV2011 and generally find it to be an improvement, in many (but not all) ways.

I am surprised to hear that the NIV84 purchase does not include the reverse interlinear. Have you confirmed that with Logos' staff?

If you are dissatisfied with your purchase, Logos is pretty good about refunding your money.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 37
Nelson R. Pardee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:21 PM

Yes, I confirmed that it doesn't include the interlinear with Logos staff. I was told I had to wait for the 2011 interlinear (but of course, that doesn't get me the 84 interlinear). As to a refund, the question is- what do I do instead? There are other products, but they don't do what I want. I need the NIV84. As far as I can see, I'm stuck. As to being foolish, at least with the New Coke fiasco, Coke did an enormous amount of market testing (like 100,000 trials). Unfortunately, they didn't talk to the right social psychologists. It appears Zondervan isn't talking to their customers, at least in any reasonable fashion.

Posts 2500
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2011 3:12 PM

Nelson R Pardee:

at least with the New Coke fiasco, Coke did an enormous amount of market testing (like 100,000 trials). Unfortunately, they didn't talk to the right social psychologists. It appears Zondervan isn't talking to their customers, at least in any reasonable fashion.

Coke may have known that they would end up selling both.  It looks like the NIV 84 had saturated the market and they want to get all users to buy the new one to replace their so 80's version.  Maybe it is time to switch to Pepsi that is switch to the ESV - it has the interlinear and also has a very good set of study notes available.  Zondervan is refusing to let Logos users use the NIV on the ipad/iphone.  They are stuck in the get a fee for each platform mode.  [reading level of the NIV is 7-8 and the ESV is 10 but the KJV is 12 and in 1900 parents used the KJV as a reading primer (first book) - back then no one had problems reading the only Bible [widely] available - or we could switch to the NCV at level 3 (used to be called the Children's Bible)]

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS