Page 7 of 9 (173 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 172 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 210
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 8:44 AM

Bob Pritchett:

I'm interested in your feedback on our new web forums.

My comment?  It's about time.  I've been using forums for years and prefer them over usenet style newsgroups.  For one thing, if I post a question/comment here, I have an option to receive an e-mail notice when there's a response to my post.  That saves tons of my time.

As a sign of the times, AT&T just informed me that as of mid-July they are dropping their support of usenet newsgroups.  Ah well.....

Gerry

Posts 33
Paul T. McCain | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 8:57 AM

Excellent, and welcome to 2009!

: )

Kudos Logos.

Posts 67
Brian Whalen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 9:42 AM

I dislike web forums just because of the layers of content, and the fact that I dont get the data locally, I'm a mailing list kind of guy.  I'll give this a go, I'm an IT professional and still have a difficult time with this software.

Brian Whalen

http://www.mcnazarene.com

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 9:58 AM

I think having it web based is probably the way to go. Seems like there were just periodic problems getting on the news group servers and at times, it seems like the server is down. I also like the ability to access from anywhere. I'm guessing I might make use of it more, as currently I have to use Windows mail, as Outlook doesn't have a news reader, so I'm not always likely to remember to open it. I do however spend a lot of time in by browser. That's my two cents...

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 11:11 AM

I prefer the forum instead of the newgroups which came to me through outlook. I was never sure if outlook had competely downlaoaded all of the posts. Thank you Logos, once again, for making my life easier.Big Smile

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 3
Joel Bundt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 11:23 AM

I'm with Rick.

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2009 1:23 PM

Bob Pritchett:

I'm interested in your feedback on our new web forums.

Do you prefer this to the NNTP newsgroups? Are there advantages/disadvantages?

I just started using the Forum yesterday. Most of the time I cant tell who is reply to what message. Never had that problem with NNTP. 

What is the button "Select Tags..." for?

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2009 1:32 PM

John Hapgood:
I just started using the Forum yesterday. Most of the time I cant tell who is reply to what message. Never had that problem with NNTP.

Give it some more time. Because others have to learn about "Reply" and use of the "Quote" button vs. "Quick Reply".

John Hapgood:
What is the button "Select Tags..." for?

Press it and all shall be revealed.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2009 1:43 PM

I like the forums because I can access them from a browser on any computer (I can't use newsgroups while at work).

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2009 1:54 PM

John Hapgood:

I know exactly what you mean.  That is the really big gripe that I have about this setup.  The Newsgroup had a tree structure so that you could see at a glance what anyone was replying to.  Here, unless they quote from the post they are replying (and frequently they don't), who knows what it's all about?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2009 1:56 PM

MikeWaterhouse:

I like the forums because I can access them from a browser on any computer (I can't use newsgroups while at work).

Why not?  If you can get on the internet you should be able to get the Newsgroup unless you don't have OE, T-bird, Microsoft Mail or whatever.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2009 3:06 PM

George Somsel:
Why not?

Corporate firewalls tend to block all TCP/IP ports not required by the business for security reasons.  This includes internet news (NNTP) ports.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2009 3:49 PM

Will use them much more. I was an advocate of newsgroups for years, feeling techno-superiority over those who only knew how to open a browser. But today, a Web forum is a no-brainer. So much more can be done than five or six years ago. RSS, linked video--whatever. I checked in occasionally on two or three of the newsgroups, but I'm more likely to be a regular on a Web forum.

Posts 134
Esther Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 9:10 AM

Never used the newsgroups here.  Have been using other forums for many, many years. 

Very glad Logos now has a forum!

There are better clients out there, though...this one seems quite limited.  Crosswalk has a great one, quite versatile and customizable and user-friendly.

Add an "edit" post, among other things.

Esther

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 10:46 AM

EstherJones:

There are better clients out there, though...this one seems quite limited.  Crosswalk has a great one, quite versatile and customizable and user-friendly.

Add an "edit" post, among other things.

There is an "edit" capability.  Look under "More."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 11:23 AM

George Somsel:

All I can see under "More" is "Report Abuse", "Add this Post as a Favorite" and "Add this Forum as a Favorite".

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 12:55 PM

John McComb:

George Somsel:

All I can see under "More" is "Report Abuse", "Add this Post as a Favorite" and "Add this Forum as a Favorite".

Yours in Christ

John

But was it your own post, and was it within the period when editing is allowed?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 2:08 PM

George Somsel:

John McComb:

Yours in Christ

John

But was it your own post, and was it within the period when editing is allowed?

No, I checked one of your posts George. I figure if Logos wants to preserve any kind of integrity on this site they should at least allow me the ability to delete the silly things you say.

O.K.... sorry. Sarcasm not allowed. I'll delete it when I get a window in my schedule. Maybe next week.

I didn't know about any time limit. If somebody mentioned it earlier I missed it. Yes, I see the edit option now. What are the time constraints?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 2:38 PM

John McComb:
I didn't know about any time limit. If somebody mentioned it earlier I missed it. Yes, I see the edit option now. What are the time constraints

I seem to recall 10 hrs.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 134
Esther Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 3:41 PM

Thanks, then.

Esther

Page 7 of 9 (173 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS