For Sale: Pillar, Baker Exeg., Baker NT, BDAG, AT Robertson - $390

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 45 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 112
BS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:37 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Possible solutions? Maybe we don't allow license transfers of anything included in the highest level you've purchased. And if you transfer first, and then upgrade, we remove from your discount collection anything transfered. (A lot of code, but doable. We'd have to record transfers as negative purchases, to have your records reflect not only what you'd spent with us, but what you'd "unspent" as well.)

Bob, thanks for reading and responding to this thread! 

This option I copied above has the Logos "feel" to it to me.  It's more like owning a physical book which the customer controls, not some totally DRM locked down resource that is in the control of the company, like Amazon's model. 

This is something that has attracted me to Logos and I know many others as well.  I have always assumed (and you have operated this way in the past) that Logos would allow us to transfer individually purchased books around as if they were physical books of which we were in control.  Of course this doesn't apply to bundled titles that came in packages. 

It may cost Logos some money in the short run, and you may end up not making as much on upgrades, but think about the customer loyalty you are gaining by treating us well!  Happy customers refer others.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:40 AM

Bob, this problem is nothing a well written policy could not solve.  there I said it... the "P" word.  I know you hate it, but look at the carnage brother. Not to mention the Mac 1 vs. Alpha situation which has got me confused and unless you step in, people are only going to get grumpier.

See HERE

and  HERE

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 17
Matt W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:00 AM

The upgrade price could be dynamic per user.  If someone wants to sell resources before upgrading, then that could cause the upgrade price to increase if those resources were part of the higher collection.  So if someone sells BDAG, have their upgrade price automatically increase by $150.  If that's too much work, then simply flag recent resellers ineligible for upgrade discounts within a certain period of time.

An easier option would simply to post what Bob stated on the upgrade page.  It's not clear to everyone why a user is seeing 25% off instead of 15%.  There should be an explanation below stating that this reflects redundancy in what the user has already purchased and what is in the offered package.  Then state that selling current resources may cause the upgrade price to increase.  Even if the code is not yet implemented to do this, the warning itself would be a deterrent.

The biggest loopholes in the reseller market are with the academic pricing.  It would be easy for an academic user to make a profit selling off discounted resources.  Academic users should not be allowed any transfers until 1 year out of the academic program.  Furthermore, they should only be offered downloadable products that can tie the license key with their accounts.

Posts 112
BS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:07 AM

MattWhite:

So if someone sells BDAG, have their upgrade price automatically increase by $150.

Sorry to jump into the fray on this hijack of the guy's For Sale thread.

The upgrade price would only increase by some percentage of that $150.  The money you spent on previous unlocks is not credited dollar for dollar to upgrade pricing.  For BDAG on an upgrade to platinum your discount might be $20 or $25, just a guess.  This is why it would be nice to be able to sell off individually purchased resources before upgrading to packages that include these resources.

EDIT: come to think of it, this would work two ways.  Customers would be more likely to purchase individual resources that are not bundled in a package knowing that they could sell the resource in the future.  I don't buy new cars because they lose so much value when they are driven off of the lot.  It's the same with a Logos resource, if I know I'll only get a dime on the dollar credit when it comes time to upgrade I'm less likely to buy the resource.  But if i can sell it to someone who is not able to upgrade and get more of my money back I'm that much more likely to spend money on individual resources.

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:07 PM

Bob, I have a feeling no matter which way you choose to address this issue people will be unhappy, myself included. But I think you need to do what's best for Logos in this case.   Logos is a business and therefore needs to make a profit.  If it doesn't make a profit then eventually it won't be there for its customers and they  will lose what they have invested in resources.  I know none of us wants that to happen.  

Logos has always given me tremendous value for the dollars I've spent.  Thank you. 

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS