Sermon File Addon

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 32
Chuck Alford | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 12 2012 4:55 PM

Can anyone from Logos confirm whether or not the Sermon File Addon for Logos 4 has been killed or if it's under development? Many are really wanting to know. It's been a couple of years now and we have nothing. I would like someone from Logos management to be completely honest about this with us. 

Thanks

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 5:02 PM

Bob (CEO of Logos) responded here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/46104/346381.aspx#346381

Posts 32
Chuck Alford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 5:22 PM

Thanks Philana.

Posts 1698
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 6:37 PM

This is just about the last "missing" thing in Logos 4.x. We've really been struggling with it, since we were never happy with the original implementation. (Well, we were when we shipped it, but then after getting feedback and experience we regretted the design choices we made.)

We're in a difficult situation now; we have some users who like it and want to see it continued, but the earlier design is reasonably complex to re-create, and (for various internal reasons) more complicated to do on the Mac. It never was on the Mac before, but many Windows users have gone to the Mac and probably want the feature there -- and we get hit for "parity" issues when things aren't in sync.

We really believe that the new Personal Books model that imports Word documents is a superior system for all user-created books, and much easier than our old database-of-wiki-markup system for sermons and illustrations. But we have heard from some users that they liked some things about that, including the generated indexes and tables of contents.

The "as of today" status is that we're looking at a hybrid solution: not re-creating the old wiki system, but supporting special tags in Word documents that would cause the compiled Personal Book to work just like the one made by the old Sermon File, complete with table of contents and indexes. 

Then we'd have an import feature that automatically made one a Word document from existing Sermon File data. 

Users could then add new sermons, illustrations, etc. to this Word document, and have much richer control over formatting and presentation, while still having the indexes and database-like fields.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Posts 28950
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 6:51 PM

Bob Pritchett:
supporting special tags in Word documents that would cause the compiled Personal Book to work just like the one made by the old Sermon File, complete with table of contents and indexes

This is what I assumed you would do. My only concern is regarding the ability of the sermon file to retain addressing so that one can link into the file.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 894
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 8:16 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Bob, At this point I'd be thrilled to have any automated methodology that imported the old sermon file data, and gave me the ability to tag and search the results.  The hybrid description you outlined sounds great.  A delivery date of "pretty soon" would be even greater :)  Thank you sir, in advance.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 8:44 PM

Bob Pritchett:

This is just about the last "missing" thing in Logos 4.x. We've really been struggling with it, since we were never happy with the original implementation. (Well, we were when we shipped it, but then after getting feedback and experience we regretted the design choices we made.)

We're in a difficult situation now; we have some users who like it and want to see it continued, but the earlier design is reasonably complex to re-create, and (for various internal reasons) more complicated to do on the Mac. It never was on the Mac before, but many Windows users have gone to the Mac and probably want the feature there -- and we get hit for "parity" issues when things aren't in sync.

We really believe that the new Personal Books model that imports Word documents is a superior system for all user-created books, and much easier than our old database-of-wiki-markup system for sermons and illustrations. But we have heard from some users that they liked some things about that, including the generated indexes and tables of contents.

The "as of today" status is that we're looking at a hybrid solution: not re-creating the old wiki system, but supporting special tags in Word documents that would cause the compiled Personal Book to work just like the one made by the old Sermon File, complete with table of contents and indexes. 

Then we'd have an import feature that automatically made one a Word document from existing Sermon File data. 

Users could then add new sermons, illustrations, etc. to this Word document, and have much richer control over formatting and presentation, while still having the indexes and database-like fields.

Bob,

I do not want to keep a Word document with all of my sermons.

if we could tag our notes, then we would not need a way to import our sermons.  We could just copy and past them into a note file.  We would need to be able to create tags like date, location, etc..., and then be able to value to those tags. For an example, here are two screen prints:

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 8:46 PM

MJ. Smith:
My only concern is regarding the ability of the sermon file to retain addressing so that one can link into the file.
Yes

Posts 564
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 5:46 AM

bump

Posts 28284
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 6:28 AM

Pastor Jesse Blevins:

bump

Jesse - What's the bump for? Did you see Bobs post above? This is a new thread!

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 564
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 9:43 AM

Alabama - I was bumping the post back to the top of the board so that other's will be sure to see the post from Bob. 

Alabama - Why are you so negative? Every time I post on here you are always posting some negative comment. I am glad that you have a little star next to your name and that you help others but please tone it down a bit.  

Posts 28284
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 10:04 AM

My apologies Jesse - I didn't mean anything negative. I just didn't understand the purpose of your bump. Typically a bump is used when a user wants a response. I was pointing out to you that there was indeed a response yesterday.

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 10:07 AM

Bump

Tension breakerBig Smile

Posts 28284
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 10:15 AM

Touche' Smile

Posts 564
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 10:20 AM

No problem Alabama. I don't spend too much time in forums so I am not up on all of the vocabulary.

Grace and Peace!  

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 12:31 PM

alabama24:

My apologies Jesse - I didn't mean anything negative. I just didn't understand the purpose of your bump. Typically a bump is used when a user wants a response. I was pointing out to you that there was indeed a response yesterday.

I thought that a bump was intended to keep a thread going and as Jesse did, move it to the top for others to notice, thus lengthening its,lifespan, so to speak.  So Alabama, without using a bump for that, what do we use? I realize this is all, not a big deal. I am just curious and do not want to cause any contention or violate any forum guidelines.

Posts 28950
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 12:55 PM

tom collinge:
I do not want to keep a Word document with all of my sermons.

While I like your approach for some purposes, I also see why some people want to be able to import the text of a sermon as in L3. I think both approaches are useful but don't see either as a substitute for the other. Both would be very nice.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28284
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 1:00 PM

Joan Korte:
I thought that a bump was intended to keep a thread going and as Jesse did, move it to the top for others to notice, thus lengthening its,lifespan, so to speak.  So Alabama, without using a bump for that, what do we use? I realize this is all, not a big deal. I am just curious and do not want to cause any contention or violate any forum guidelines.

There was nothing wrong with Jesse's "bump." I just didn't understand his purpose. As you state, a bump is to bring attention to a thread. Often a bump is used when a question has been asked and an answer has not been given. A bump is also used, for example, to bring attention to a community pricing thread so that others will take notice. In Jesse's reply to me, he stated that he wanted others to see Bob's reply. There is nothing wrong with that, although his purpose was not at first clear to me (the thread would appear as "new" to anyone who had not read it and was still towards the top of the list). The only reason I replied to Jesse in the first place is because I wrongly took his "bump" to be exasperation over this issue. There are several topics which cause passionate responses - the SFA being one of them.

I guess it may have been better to write something like "Sounds good Bob!" which is less ambiguous and accomplishes the same thing as typing "bump."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 3:35 AM

MJ. Smith:
While I like your approach for some purposes, I also see why some people want to be able to import the text of a sermon as in L3. I think both approaches are useful but don't see either as a substitute for the other. Both would be very nice.

MJ, other than better formatting of the text (I use color, different size fonts, etc... in my sermons), I do not see any other advantages of using PB for sermons.  

If we could tag our notes and create a report from them, that would create the indexes.  

Because I simply do not see what would be missing, can you help me see how notes would not be a substitute.  Thanks

Posts 28950
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 9:33 AM

tom collinge:
, can you help me see how notes would not be a substitute

Some people write out a full text rather than just notes which one could do as one very long note but that can run into performance issues. Then there is the problem of a search on notes not taking you to precise locations. These are the issues that occur to me as I'm up early heading out to a meeting.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS