L5 Silver or lower level now or wait for L6?

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:31 AM

I don't want that much of what's in Silver, unless my Theological college (where I start ~ in the Fall 2014) sees some of them as good reads and complements to the books they require. I explained today in a post that I edited 1½ hours ago or less, how I think: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/60016/427181.aspx#427181 Also look at the links I give there, if You have time to!

DMB pointed out in: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/59823/427225.aspx#427225 ... a few minutes ago that "But the good news, as you saw in another thread yesterday, is the the RI's are probably on their 'last legs' in Logos and will be phased out with Logos6".

Maybe it would be good to choose an even lower level than L5 Silver or just the minimal crossgrade? I wouldn't save much but it would be nice to cherry-pick only what I want. And then upgrade to Silver or equivalent in L6?

A good advice is to think of being a L user all Your life - so there will be many more version numbers, at least since I'm not old (soon 31 in the turn of the month), and subsequent times when You'll have to consider what upgrade or crossgrade to make.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:50 AM

Unix:
Maybe it would be good to choose an even lower level than L5 Silver or just the minimal crossgrade? I wouldn't save much but it would be nice to cherry-pick only what I want

The first rule is buy what you need know. I have purchased some packages and due to the searching capabilities I have ended up using more books that I would have believed. I teach a variety of subjects and many of the books in my L4 platinum package have come in handy.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 11:02 AM

As I've very rarely had friends I have been able to focus on Christianity - but I've been serious since the end of the summer last year, and before the mid '00s. I haven't planned on making money. I haven't thought about it a lot: but writing a book might be intresting but that would be a very long time from now.

The items on Psychology of religion might be worth having. Plus Thoughts for the Quiet Hour, Pastoral Visitation: A Pocket Manual and A Complete Guide to Sermon Delivery, but the latter two I would value just $5 each.

Wayne:
The first rule is buy what you need to know.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 1:26 AM

I'm always happy for a book that teaches Gk, and Bronze and up has:

Plus Silver and up has: 1788 A Compendium of Christian Theology

My girlfriend was surprised this morning that Silver contains so many books - that's negative.
My college may be delighted if I have

Here's my most recent considerations about Bronze: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/59980/427607.aspx#427607

What I have now are the Original Languages Library and L4 Catholic Foundations Library (which is equivalent to Verbum Basic).

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 3292
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 6:38 AM

I bought the crossgrade and it is very pleasing.  All of the new features and no unwanted resources.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 6:43 AM

I would manage without some of the new features and databases.

David Taylor Jr:
I bought the crossgrade and it is very pleasing.  All of the new features and no unwanted resources.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 7:07 AM

Unix:

David Taylor Jr:

Sounds like the lowest cost  L5 upgrade is for you - can't recall the link, but it is about $70 I think.

Edit: see here: http://www.logos.com/product/28494/logos-5-core-datasets

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 7:14 AM

Core Datasets is $79.95 for me.

Starter is $132 for me. I've done calculations during the weekend, showing that Starter wouldn't be a good options - it's missing so many items I would buy - and it still has many English Bibles that I DON'T want.

David L Bailey:
Sounds like the lowest cost  L5 upgrade is for you - can't recall the link, but it is about $70 I think.
I found a review of L5 Silver: http://siberiangrinder.com/?p=3576&lang=ru

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2012 7:50 AM

Unix:
Starter...still has many English Bibles that I DON'T want.

You'll never buy any package if you reject them because they have content you don't want.  Besides, all the packages have the same Bibles that Starter has. 

If that's an issue, then just buy the crossgrade or core datasets.  Otherwise, decide what you do want and only pick a package based on that.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 4:25 AM

Some of the new datasets and features in Silver would be useful, it's just that out of all the ones I want, measured in $ I don't value them very high . Since there's little diffence in how many unwanted items there are in Silver compared to Bronze or Starter, I might as well choose Silver (or Bronze) then. Later today I'm going to do calculations again on how I value the content of Silver.
Another thing I don't value as high as the price for it, are all the Bible reference material in Silver. Silver sure seems to have the most emphasis on such out of all base-packages.

Todd Phillips:
You'll never buy any package if you reject them because they have content you don't want.  Besides, all the packages have the same Bibles that Starter has. 

If that's an issue, then just buy the crossgrade or core datasets.  Otherwise, decide what you do want and only pick a package based on that.

Unix:
Starter...still has many English Bibles that I DON'T want.
My theological college has still not responded to all  the emails I've sent asking if the books in Silver would be of use - I guess they don't understand why I'm asking since few of the books I'm enquiring about are required literature in the courses in question. I'll just have to guess by myself?

For example the course Jesus and the Gospels, I wanted to know if the following books would be of use:
Why
Four Gospels?

Theological
Lexicon of the New Testament (3 vols.)

The Four-Fold Gospel

Eusebian
Canons

The Unexpected Jesus

Jesus
Is Lord: Christology Yesterday and Today

... and whether I need/have use of http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5$3a_Bible_Word_Study#Senses_section in that course.
The course is about the synoptic Gospels. 5 weeks if full time. (But it's part-time.)

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2299
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:28 AM

Unix:

My theological college has still not responded to all  the emails I've sent asking if the books in Silver would be of use - I guess they don't understand why I'm asking since few of the books I'm enquiring about are required literature in the courses in question. I'll just have to guess by myself?

For example the course Jesus and the Gospels, I wanted to know if the following books would be of use:

... and whether I need/have use of http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5$3a_Bible_Word_Study#Senses_section in that course.
The course is about the synoptic Gospels. 5 weeks if full time. (But it's part-time.)

You may be asking questions that cannot be answered. The reading list may change depending upon which professor teaches the course and a particular professor may change the syllabus over time. I can't imagine a professor giving a definitive answer today about which books he will require 2-3 years from now.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 7:52 AM

I'm not asking them what books are REQUIRED (it says which ones on the homepage of every course).
I just noticed that one book that I think is beneficial in one of the cources I'm gonna take, is only available in a $100 bundle and in base-packages Silver and above, I'm not going to buy the whole bundle:
The Christian and Social Responsibility Charles Ryrie Legacy Collection Upgrade (17 vols.)

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 11:29 AM

Advice still welcome! I haven't ordered yet, but I talked to my sales-rep Bart and he didn't give me further discount on neither Bronze nor Silver.
I'm a bit undecided which one to order. Silver has two books that I'll need in college that are not in Bronze and that are (very) difficult to add separately BUT I'm not personally all that intrested in those 2 topics. It just that I'll probably have to study a couple of such unintresting topics in order to qualify for things that I do want to read, such as the course I just mentioned above and Biblical Gk. (I'll read Classical Gk first, before the theological college in a secular uni.)

I was thinking of the BDAG/HALOT bundle in Customize, but canceled it since I rather wait for a new revision of BDAG and just get BDAG and not the bundle (I'm not going to study Hebrew).

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 1883
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:22 PM

It's admirable that you are trying to plan ahead, and we should all do that to a degree. But you stated that you aren't going to theological college until Fall 2014. A lot can happen to you, the college (e.g., professors come and go), and Logos in that amount of time. Plan what you can, but live in today. So, get what you can afford AND use right now. If you can afford Silver right now and get those couple books that you want, go ahead.  If not, get Bronze, and start saving your money for books that you would like to get when you actually start in Fall 2014. Call it your Future Book Fund or whatever. That way, when you do actually start classes, you'll have money for books that you find that you need.  Trying to figure out what books you'll need and desire two years from is like trying to nail Jell-O to a tree. You'll never be short of books that you need to buy and read in theological college, but you will be short of money to buy them! Save and buy what you need when you know for sure that you need it. P.S. There will be a lot of Logos sales between now and then!

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:28 AM

This thread was down for almost a week but now it's up again, (I asked the technical customer service to fix it). I still want more advice! My idea with upgrading would be that I get a bunch of books cheap and then during holidays and vacations before the course starts read the books that cover the same topics - that way I would be prepared. If the knowledge and the books are not required it will probably still proove to be beneficial knowledge and time well spent.

102234:
Trying to figure out what books you'll need and desire two years from is like trying to nail Jell-O to a tree.
If looking at how frequently the revisions have been rolled out, the new revision would come in 2021. That's a long wait but I really think I rather wait.
Unix:
I rather wait for a new revision of BDAG and just get BDAG and not the bundle (I'm not going to study Hebrew).
If I've calculated correctly which titles I will need in the theological colleges Silver would be the only base-package which would save me money: ~$130. But note that I haven't put ANY of the reference books in neither Bronze nor Silver in my list of titles I want or think I will need.

That approach wouldn't help nor make any actual difference when thinking of that You focused on affording. My fincances during studies won't be neither better nor worse later on compared to now. If I end up buying the exact same books, when doesn't make any difference financially.
I have other piorities than books, too. I would like to buy a moped-car sometime in the future - I'm saving my study allowance for that.
102234:
get what you can afford AND use right now. If you can afford Silver right now and get those couple books that you want, go ahead.  If not, get Bronze, and start saving your money for books that you would like to get when you actually start in Fall 2014. Call it your Future Book Fund or whatever. That way, when you do actually start classes, you'll have money for books that you find that you need.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 3292
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 4:30 AM

Unix:

David Taylor Jr:

Ok, so what exactly are you wanting then?  I wouldn't wait for L6 though, that is way away from now I am sure.  Also, you could always just upgrade to the free engine next year and not have the new features but have the interface.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 6:36 AM

Things like phrase search, clause search, NT referent data, books to read before the basic courses start. Right now my library is too narrow and focused on languages and manuscripts.

I'm going to buy individual volumes of commentaries and/or upgrades to sets, but I don't have almost any use for the commentaries that come with the base-packages Bronze and Silver. I don't like all the lanuage resources that come with base packages: in lower and mid base-packages the best lexicons are absent (BDAG which is in the high base-package Platinum is probably better than Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT) (10 vols.) which comes with Silver and is already in my Original Languages base-package.) From what I've seen none of the Septuagint items in are based on the best text-criticism, see: http://www.christianforums.com/t7653202-post60820357/#post60820357
... "I like NETS. It is a top-notch, scholarly work by amazing translators. When there are different Greek versions of a text, it includes both—something I had never seen before. And it is based off of the Gottingen series, [...]"
EDIT: I didn't do a search until now, the Gottingen series is VERY expensive indeed: http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=gottingen ... and I don't need all volumes, so unless Logos is going to split it up (which seems unlikely to me) I'll just have to buy the volume I want as printed matter.

Starting from a low level and always upgrading only little-by-little at each new version number roll-out, would guarantee the best chances to get as new books as possible (something which is often a problem with Logos), something to upgrade to (if I upgrade to L5 Silver this time I will rarely upgrade to a higher base-package anymore) and a focus on paying for the newest features and datasets.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 6:53 AM

Unix:
DMB pointed out in: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/59823/427225.aspx#427225 ... a few minutes ago that "But the good news, as you saw in another thread yesterday, is the the RI's are probably on their 'last legs' in Logos and will be phased out with Logos6".

Peace to you, Unix!              *smile*                                  You come across as a very sincere and dedicated and quite intense young man; and I wish you well and every blessing from the Lord!                         Indeed!

I'm glad that you are seeking guidance and advice from your brothers and sisters on the Logos Forums as you point yourself and your future in a certain direction.

I'm sure DMB (also fondly known as Denise who is "sharp as a tack") is very seldom "wrong"!               Televisions Fonzie didn't appreciate being "wrong," eh???

However, I think DMB is quite mistaken about "the RI's are probably on their 'last legs' in Logos and will be phased out with Logos6".  Your plans, dear Unix, should take that intlo account.

My wife and I went shopping for a graveyard plot a few days ago ....          (Unless we end up getting cremated after all and ask our three kids to host us on their "proverbial" fireplace mantels.      It would be great if the Lord Jesus came for me, rather than having me go to him the ancient and traditional way........         What I'm saying    (and I truly have a real zest for life and thank Jesus for Eternal Life and the Abundant Life here!!!)   ....   I will be long, long in my grave before Logos gives up the RI's!              *smile*                                 ....         Always Joy in the Lord!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:09 AM

Advice still wanted!

Thank's Milford! I'll show Your post to my girlfriend!

When I feel that the college doesn't dig deep enough or doesn't have a broad enough view, I want to be able to do some research on my own or ask the senior lecturer which of the books I have he/she thinks could be good reads. I wonder if a base-package is the right sollution for that and which level I need?

102234:
You'll never be short of books that you need to buy and read in theological college,
There is a dicussion I've started about this same thing (whether Silver is the right level for me) in: http://www.christianforums.com/t7702881-post61797428/#post61797428

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:25 AM

Advice still needed!

Just read this: http://www.christianforums.com/t7702841/#post61868314 ... it's disappointing that Logos offers the first edition from 1914 (included in Original Languages (and Silver)) but not this third, newest edition from 2005. Source: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/32317/241153.aspx#241153

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS