Logos & Duel Monitors

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 70 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:47 AM

The only things questioned were his own statements and yes, we are required to do so. It is never love or compassion to leave a brother in his error rather than hold him accountable and turn him back from sin if he indeed is being sinful.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:53 AM

Tommy Ball:

Apparently some don't realize Logos staff reads these threads.

I do.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 10:14 AM

Tommy Ball:

Tommy, I would alert someone to take a look at Unix's account if I were Logos.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:34 AM

Fredc:

Quite frankly it baffles me. I continue to hope that it is not as it appears.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3173
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 12:11 PM

Fredc:

Tommy Ball:

Tommy, I would alert someone to take a look at Unix's account if I were Logos.

I have. Thanks everyone. 

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 5:02 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I continue to hope that it is not as it appears.
Schezic had a good comment about hope on the previous page.

Schezic:

abondservant:
I certainly hope so. :)
My favorite definition of the word "Hope" is:

Expectation based on Evidence........ If you have obtained sufficient evidence to support your expectations, Then you have earned the right to "Hope" more than I do.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:47 PM

James C.:
Unix is clearly stealing.
Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 8:18 PM

Silent Sam:

James C.:
Unix is clearly stealing.
Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

I think that many of you mis-understand what is going on:

First as Bob stated that are ways to bypass the securities, second it is probably as he states.

Yet who here can prove that it is theft? -Anyone?

Let's presume that he does have the resources and that he did "return them", as long as the second computer does not have internet access and auto-update on - wellllllll....technically he does still have them.

So was that a crime of pilferring? Maybe he considers them the booty and spoils of his efforts, only he knows. Who are we to judge his actions?, tho we can and do question the ethical liability that he, and he alone, must answer for.

Also, there is a licensing issue: if he did infact "return" them, then there is a bodacious update awaiting that specific computer. True, his statement reeks of a brazen disregard and slaps many of us in the frontal lobe....but remember it is the Spirit that convicts - not man.

So lets just sit back and let Logos HQ do what they do...."to everything there is a season..."

thats my take....

R4m.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 8:37 PM

So this is what has been going on in this thread? I thought there were all these great posts about an issue that I am not able to participate in (at present). 

So, "Unix living in larceny" let the cat out of the bag, eh? Granted, it was a bit of a jolt to read a statement that is so "out there", but my first reaction was to laugh. While any premeditation to amass numerous unpaid for books would be unethical, I'm not sure that the Forum SWAT team is necessarily in order. I think a firm reprimand is sufficient. Logos obviously will do what they will. Let's not forget he's a kid. The generation he is in has grown up with issues of digital information "freedom" and sometimes it just takes being introduced to the other side of the issue to get the point across.

Also, where has the "public library" gone in this age? Just something to consider--we don't have to beat that horse into glue here.

Posts 3989
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 8:49 PM

David Paul:

So this is what has been going on in this thread? I thought there were all these great posts about an issue that I am not able to participate in (at present). 

So, "Unix living in larceny" let the cat out of the bag, eh? Granted, it was a bit of a jolt to read a statement that is so "out there", but my first reaction was to laugh. While any premeditation to amass numerous unpaid for books would be unethical, I'm not sure that the Forum SWAT team is necessarily in order. I think a firm reprimand is sufficient. Logos obviously will do what they will. Let's not forget he's a kid. The generation he is in has grown up with issues of digital information "freedom" and sometimes it just takes being introduced to the other side of the issue to get the point across.

Also, where has the "public library" gone in this age? Just something to consider--we don't have to beat that horse into glue here.

Already been done before either of us posted my friend. However, knowing what you said in the second half of the post, you may want to reconsider some things from the first half namely the crack about "Unix living in larceny". Its not particularly kind, especially in a post calling people to be more gracious to the kid. May I suggest "left handed compliments" are less beneficial than silence.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:16 PM

David Paul:
So, "Unix living in larceny" let the cat out of the bag, eh?
Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 1:30 AM

abondservant:

May I suggest "left handed compliments" are less beneficial than silence.

That's fine, I guess. Except my point is that although this is a significant (if not super-serious) matter, it is also rather humorous...unless one is fully committed to being either sour or bitter. Unix can judge for himself, but I think my comment, deliberately intended as a pun on his earlier handle (you know the one), brings a much needed bit of levity to the situation, especially compared to the "shock troops" approach that was being employed before I showed up. You called it a "crack". You are exactly right...that is exactly what it was, and just like a crack with a wet towel, it was supposed to carry a bit of a sting. But because it carries the play on his earlier moniker, it can be seen as somewhat playful...not much--just enough.

Frankly, I think folks need to lighten up more than just a tad. I doubt there is a stronger "law" advocate on this forum than I, but as such I am well aware that in addition to the weighty elements of faithfulness and justice, there is the one that (given a repentant return to the former) triumphs over the latter: mercy. If I read his "red-handed" comment to either of my two best friends, I guarantee they would both laugh out loud...because it's funny that he so expertly twined the incongruity of brazen with unsuspecting. Not good? Yeah...obviously. A federal case? Oddly, apparently so, for those who would likely call me a legalist. The only things missing from some of the first reactions was a siren, cuffs, and flashing light.

But it isn't a federal case. Being one who readily laughs at my own missteps when they are called to my attention, I might well own it and even put the moniker up as my new user name--briefly...as a sort of self-effacing scarlet letter. The humor allows for that. The mirthless, cheerless designations of "thief" and "scammer" provide nothing more than judgment and condemnation...and little else that might allow room for change. How Unix responds to this whole thread is obviously on him. Where Unix stands in terms of faithfulness determines where justice and mercy fall. That's between him and 'Elohhiym...and Logos.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:56 AM

Like I tried to say, I wanted to return the items because I had not received the discount I thought I had received.

Trying to still keep the books was a spontaneous idea I got AFTER that - also had a little to do with slight keyboard malfunction on computer #1.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:11 AM

Unix:

Like I tried to say, I wanted to return the items because I had not received the discount I thought I had received.

Trying to still keep the books was a spontaneous idea I got AFTER that - also had a little to do with slight keyboard malfunction on computer #1.

If you look back at this thread I have always tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and simply ask clarification questions because, over the years I have come to realize that things are not always the way they appear.

Could you please help me understand. It seems that you are saying here that you kept the resource(s) your "returned" in order to "negotiate" a better deal. Do I read you correctly? What are you planning to do if you don't get the deal that you want?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10739
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:18 AM

Jack Caviness:

Unix: This way I get to keep many books that I have returned.

Seriously? And this does not seem even a bit unethical to you?

Unix:
Trying to still keep the books was a spontaneous idea I got AFTER that

When I was young—back when George Somsel first turned 38 Wink—we played football (US style) in the cow pasture. This game usually had few rules, but we did have one very important rule: When the ball carrier was tackled, it was an offense for the entire defensive team to "pile on". I fear this happened in response to my original question.

When I posted this original question, I did not expect so many other users to "pile on". I merely wanted Unix to give some serious thought to the ethics of receiving a refund while retaining the merchandise.

Knowing that this forum is not a Church, I still want to point something out: The primary purpose of church discipline is always restoration. "Piling on" will seldom reach that goal. Sometimes, we need to carefully consider Galatians 6:1, especially that final participial clause Geeked. I know I must personally exercise care that my halo does not become so tight it clouds my thinking Big Smile

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:42 AM

No, I wanted a discount long before I either got that idea of keeping books or saw this thread and got the idea to buy one more computer. EDIT: I'll look up some posts where I talk about discounts, to proove this!

Like I tried to ask earlier on: wouldn't any customer return books when they discovered they didn't get a discount they thought they had got?:

Bruce Dunning:
Could you please help me understand. It seems that you are saying here that you kept the resource(s) your "returned" in order to "negotiate" a better deal. Do I read you correctly?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:15 AM

Jack Caviness:
I know I must personally exercise care that my halo does not become so tight it clouds my thinking Big Smile

Wow, I like it. I will try to remember that advice Jack. Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:54 AM

Unix:

No, I wanted a discount long before I either got that idea of keeping books or saw this thread and got the idea to buy one more computer. EDIT: I'll look up some posts where I talk about discounts, to proove this!

Like I tried to ask earlier on: wouldn't any customer return books when they discovered they didn't get a discount they thought they had got?:

Bruce Dunning:
Could you please help me understand. It seems that you are saying here that you kept the resource(s) your "returned" in order to "negotiate" a better deal. Do I read you correctly?

Thanks Unix for responding. To me your responses seem to imply that you may be planning to keep the books if you can't negotiate the price you want. Is that what you are trying to say?

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:59 AM

Jack Caviness:

Knowing that this forum is not a Church, I still want to point something out: The primary purpose of church discipline is always restoration. "Piling on" will seldom reach that goal. Sometimes, we need to carefully consider Galatians 6:1, especially that final participial clause Geeked. I know I must personally exercise care that my halo does not become so tight it clouds my thinking Big Smile

Brother Jack!         *smile*            Peace and Joy in the Lord!                    Indeed well-spoken!  Will be flying down the spine of the Appalachians Sunday afternoon on my way from Toronto to visit my daughter in Grand Cayman.      As per usual I will be asking our Beautiful and Gracious God to continue to bless you and your family and the ministry He continues to give you as I am flying over North Carolina!     *smile*      I am pleased with the great job God has done on you and filled with praises for His Grace and Mercy to us all in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.        

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 6:03 AM

Here's a couple of posts. As I don't like bragging I don't talk a whole lot well in advance about what to buy: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/67236/468267.aspx#468267
http://www.christianforums.com/t7728034-post62557618/#post62557618

Unix:

If I don't get a discount this time I probably never will. So I'll just keep them long enough to evaluate how much I'm ready to pay for them. My original purchase was too spontaneous - actually I tried to make use of the fact that I had ordered books for a lot of $ recently and had read somewhere on Logos User Forums where fgh wrote that You can negotiate up to 25% discount if You are a good customer.

Last year I planned to wait a very long time purchasing some of the books in the order. I kept that plan until recently and saw no reason to alter it.

I thought that making as many purchases as possible at the same time, would increase my chances to get a discount on some of the books. Aparently it's more difficult than I thought. There's not a whole lot more books that I could add to the order at this point.

Seems like I'm running low on ideas how to save money so I will have to start dropping books. The most expensive part is books on Church (history) but it's a really interesting topic.

Bruce Dunning:
Thanks Unix for responding. To me your responses seem to imply that you may be planning to keep the books if you can't negotiate the price you want. Is that what you are trying to say?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS