We need more books on the Doctrine of Hell

Page 4 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 64 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2019 12:33 AM

JoshInRI:

i am preaching on What Jesus said about Hell and Why it Still Matters.

The title may give everyone an idea where I am headed "Their Worm Does Not Die"

Maybe this thread should be about THE IMMORTAL WORMS instead of Hell...

Posts 6341
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2019 3:50 AM

David Paul:

JoshInRI:

i am preaching on What Jesus said about Hell and Why it Still Matters.

The title may give everyone an idea where I am headed "Their Worm Does Not Die"

Maybe this thread should be about THE IMMORTAL WORMS instead of Hell...

Where the worms diet not 😂😂😂😜

DAL

Posts 10127
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2019 7:00 AM

DAL:
Because then Christians would be cowards in the eyes of God.

You'd have to inform the pastoral writer (Paul?) about that. If memory serves he recommended 2-3 tries and move on.  But then it wouldn't be so fun. Winning the argument is the goal.

Posts 26310
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2019 4:09 PM

Denise:
Winning the argument is the goal.

Thank you. I needed that. I grew up with the mistaken view that the goal was to see and understand multiple views so that one could make a well reasoned choice between them. I'd complain to Dad except he only lived to 98.

True story: In the early 1950's a woman of his Mother's generation was arranging an educational debate on evolution. She asked Dad to represent the pro-evolution side i.e. the side contrary to his actual beliefs. Dad studied up - wouldn't any farmer/rancher? He was so effective defending evolution that the woman was still convinced a decade later that he was pro-evolution and WRONG.  Made a bit of a problem for me as she taught 7th & 8th grades.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10127
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2019 4:40 PM

MJ. Smith:

Denise:
Winning the argument is the goal.

He was so effective defending evolution that the woman was still convinced a decade later that he was pro-evolution and WRONG.  Made a bit of a problem for me as she taught 7th & 8th grades.

I just finished a book Search for Memory (Schacter). I'd recommend it for all pastors (who would never read it). But, it's amazing how the brains puts things together, a little this and that, slowly seeps into long-term storage, and then is retrieved incorrectly, and with complete certainty.

One Sunday morning in Bible class, the men were battling it out, as is their wont ... the ladies checking their watches ... it couldn't go on forever. The pastor watching his lesson dribble into nothingness. But the memory professor says not to worry ... all those brains are soaking up incorrect information.

My Dad was also Mr Debater. Toward the end, he'd skip to the chase .. I think he debated himself to a standstill.

Page 4 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS