NEW: BI100 Learn to Study the Bible, by Darrell Bock

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 501
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 6:11 AM

I do not have the course yet. Can you help me understand what the impact is of this issue. Does he refer to these and leave you feeling like you really must read the resource or a part of it in order to learn and continue on? Is it more like he quotes the resource but leaves you wishing for more to read on it? Is it just a casual reference that completist will insist on having but really would not need?

I ask because I am trying hard to justify adding enough to get to $1000 so I can get the course. I certainly am not likely to have a good number of resources and will not be able to afford to add them. If references to these are too invasive then I will have to skip it.

Posts 2071
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 6:31 AM

I liken the required readings and the see also readings for the course this way. 

in a seminary or college course on this subject, the required readings would be what you need to do for a grade or a test , the see also would be to gain additional knowledge on the subject, but you will not be tested over it. 

You can still gain knowledge just from the lectures Without doing the readings.  The readings just add flesh to the bones of the skeleton. 

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 6:59 AM

But so far I have found that the "also read" articles add a lot of flesh to the bones, and are very useful resources in their own right.

Posts 2071
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 7:26 AM

Adding more flesh to the bones is also a good thing.

Posts 55
LogosEmployee
Miles Custis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 9:36 AM

SHotchkiss:
I do not have the course yet. Can you help me understand what the impact is of this issue

The reading links are meant to supplement the lecture. Despite the label of "Required Reading" none of them are actually "required" (we are changing this label to "Suggested Reading" in future courses). Our editors go through the material and carefully select readings that best compliment the speakers' presentations. For the "Required Readings" we limit ourselves to using resources from the Platinum Collection so that users can have a baseline of resources they know will be utilized across all courses. For the "See Also" readings we try to link to the most useful resources that may or may not be included in the Platinum collection. We also provide links to different guides and tools (like the Passage Guide or Topic Guide) that will only draw from resources that are in your library.

Our goal with these reading links is to provide you with relevant readings that will enhance the course, further your learning, and help you make better use of your Logos library. Since the Mobile Ed. courses are self-directed you can decide how much you make use of them (same goes for the quizzes). You can choose to just watch the lectures straight through without doing any additional reading, you can read through all the reading links, or you can dig deeper only on certain topics or segments.

Posts 156
Sakarias Ingolfsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 3:40 AM

Josh Burdick:

David, I've reviewed several of these lessons in the app and it does look like there are discrepancies in the audio levels between the screencasts and Dr. Bock's lecture material. I will have our team look into this first thing Monday morning. We will try to correct it as soon as possible and update the resource.

Thank you for alerting us to this problem. I hope that apart from this error you can still find this course useful and valuable to your study.

The audio levels are generally on lower end in the MobileEd courses that I have bought, but this course is particularly difficult to use without either good headphones or a power amplifier. If there is the slightest noise in the room I am nearly unable to discern what Bock is saying, using the highest volume setting on either my laptop or tablet. This is a considerable problem for me since I do not live in a completely noise free home.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS