1 step forward, 2 steps back

Page 1 of 4 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 21 2014 11:25 PM

Logos 4 (Mac) was slow and unstable.  Logos 5 not only brought new features but also brought an increase in  stability and performance.  I'm disappointed to see that Logos 6 has digressed in the performance department.  Using it reminds me of Logos 4.  Lots of stuttering, beach balls, and general UI lag.  Searching maybe faster but the general feel is much slower in my opinion.

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 3:49 AM

Lankford Oxendine:

Logos 4 (Mac) was slow and unstable.  Logos 5 not only brought new features but also brought an increase in  stability and performance.  I'm disappointed to see that Logos 6 has digressed in the performance department.  Using it reminds me of Logos 4.  Lots of stuttering, beach balls, and general UI lag.  Searching maybe faster but the general feel is much slower in my opinion.

We must be using different versions of Logos, as I have found each increment of Logos to be better, more stable and faster than the last.

Posts 341
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 7:57 AM

Lankford Oxendine:

I have found Logos 6 (upgrade from Logos 5) on my iMac preforms very well, I hardly see any delays at all. Performs better than Logos 5 on this same machine. Below is my configuration.

• 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i5
  • 8GB 1600 MHz DDRs
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775 2048 MB
  • 1 TB Fusion Drive with 128GB SSD

The Fusion drive has given me the most noticeable performance boost. If you don't have an SSD device they are well worth the addition for running not only Logos 6 but your entire system.

Posts 74
Michael R. Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 8:23 AM

I have the same experience. Logos 6 runs very slow and almost every action brings up a beach ball. Not all of the features work either. For example, Every time I try to use visual copy I am told the templates are unavailable. If the searching is faster I can't tell because it's so slow overall. 

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 7:42 PM

try changing "use internet' to NO. I suspect what you are experiencing is related to the speed of the isp.

Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 8:48 PM

Michael R. Jones:
For example, Every time I try to use visual copy I am told the templates are unavailable.

Server side hardware failure is to blame for the visual copy templates lack of availability today. More info here https://community.logos.com/forums/p/96616/665634.aspx  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 8:49 PM

Lankford Oxendine:
I'm disappointed to see that Logos 6 has digressed in the performance department.

It would be helpful if you explained your issue more clearly and provided logs. My experience is contrary to yours. For logging instructions, see my signature line.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 10:13 PM

Interesting to see that others are having no performance problems.  Are you using a Mac?  Did you install Logos 6 over 5?  Are you using a retina MBP?  

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 10:53 PM

Lankford Oxendine:
I'm disappointed to see that Logos 6 has digressed in the performance department.  Using it reminds me of Logos 4.  Lots of stuttering, beach balls, and general UI lag.

Please elaborate what feels slow so others (especially Faithlife developers) can try to replicate.

Logos 6.0a (6.0.1.0032) search example in All Bibles takes 3.59 seconds on Windows 7 using 2.3 GHz i7-3610QM with SanDisk 240 GB SSD

(<Sense = man>, <Sense = person>) WITHIN 0 WORDS <Person Jesus>

takes 13.59 seconds on OS X 10.10.1 using 4.0 GHz i7-4790K with Apple's 256 GB SSD.

GeekBench shows i7-4790K having 4043 score while i7-3610QM has 2598 score so Mac should be faster instead of 10 seconds slower.

Lankford Oxendine:
Are you using a Mac?  Did you install Logos 6 over 5?  Are you using a retina MBP?

Logos 4, 5, and 6 use the same ~/Library/Application Support/Logos4 path on OS X; am using 5K retina display.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 10:46 AM

Here are some examples of where I'm seeing the sluggishness in Logos 6 as compared to Logos 5.

1.  Scrolling

2.  Opening books

3.  Right click menus

4.  Highlighting text w/ Sympathetic highlighting turned on

All of the above were faster in Logos 5.  I have attached logs.

4062.LogosLogs.loxendine.20141125-104600.zip

Posts 14
Richard Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 8:54 AM

I too am experiencing similar issues. I notice if I close all windows and simply scroll through the ESV my performance does get better, but it still hangs now and again. I am using a 2010 Mac Pro with upgraded everything, and using a layout with just a few things open really causes text scrolling to be frustrating. I am open to any suggestions.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 9:20 AM

I've noticed a lot of spinny wheels on my 2013 MacBook Air 8GB RAM i7 processor.

I've not really used Logos 6 intensively, but  I've noticed the spinny wheels when opening my library (c.9,000 resources) and when dragging highlights from one note file to another. (Admittedly, one of the note files I've been moving highlights in and out of is a large one.) I'll post back as and when I notice other instances during usage. 

Posts 133
Daniel Liu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 11:34 AM

My iMac Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 8GB 1333MHz DDR3, OSX Yosemite 10.10.1.  I have the same problems for LOGOS 6's performance as other ones' mentions.

Posts 5
Armen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 5:33 AM

Paul-C:

I've noticed a lot of spinny wheels on my 2013 MacBook Air 8GB RAM i7 processor.

I've not really used Logos 6 intensively, but  I've noticed the spinny wheels when opening my library (c.9,000 resources) and when dragging highlights from one note file to another. (Admittedly, one of the note files I've been moving highlights in and out of is a large one.) I'll post back as and when I notice other instances during usage. 

As someone ready to put a fair amount of money into Logos, this comment bothers me. I'll be using a similar Macbook Air, and the last thing I want is software that hangs all the time.

Is this being addressed? 

Posts 205
Jeffrey S. Robison | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 7:11 AM

This is not a complaint... this is a concern and I am expressing a feeling. Logos 5 brought much more parity to the Mac with the Win version. I have been a Logos user since the beginning (LLS 1.1 in 1995) and have over $16,000 invested since L4. When I see questions like, "Are you on a Mac?' asked in the forums, I get really nervous about becoming a second class user again. Parity for the Mac side has been promised for over a decade. My investment shows that I have believed that promise. But I am concerned again...

I am a pastor and use this software everyday. This last week of broken features and crashes brought back too many memories of past use. I am gracious and forgiving. I do not mind paying for what I use. And I have paid. I expect/demand the fulfillment of the parity promise. I will not return to running this program in a virtual machine again.

Feel free to forward or send this post to every Logos/Faithlife employee. 

Posts 8195
LogosEmployee

Jeffrey S. Robison:

This is not a complaint... this is a concern and I am expressing a feeling. 

Jeffrey, I'm trying to understand your concern. Are you experiencing any performance problems on your Mac, or are you just concerned that other forum users are reporting them?

Performance problems tend to be machine-specific (and can happen on both Windows and Mac); as you probably saw from this thread, for every person saying "Logos is slow", someone else replied "runs fine for me".

We'll have developers look into the samples that have been posted here, but I don't think worrying about systemic Mac performance problems is warranted.

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 7:35 AM

Lankford Oxendine:

Here are some examples of where I'm seeing the sluggishness in Logos 6 as compared to Logos 5.

1.  Scrolling

2.  Opening books

3.  Right click menus

4.  Highlighting text w/ Sympathetic highlighting turned on

All of the above were faster in Logos 5.  I have attached logs.

I run a well equipped machine (Mac, ssd, plenty of memory, etc.) and I can confirm this experience. I am running fresh installs of system and Logos since 10.10 came out.

I don't really notice anything when compared to L5. However, I keep an up-to-date windows virtual installation and that is where I notice the difference. The virtual installation is much more responsive than the Mac installation. And like the other poster, I will not go to running Logos strictly through a virtual machine. I only have it as a backup.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 8:01 AM

Michael McLane:
3.  Right click menus

I will concur this seems sluggish to me too... I just assumed it was because of new options like visual copy.

-Dan

Posts 8195
LogosEmployee

Hi Jeffrey,

You posted this three times, so it's going to be hard to keep the replies together. Let's take the discussion to https://community.logos.com/forums/t/96933.aspx

Posts 242
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 8:53 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Performance problems tend to be machine-specific (and can happen on both Windows and Mac); as you probably saw from this thread, for every person saying "Logos is slow", someone else replied "runs fine for me".

This comment is a little disingenuous considering the current tally in this thread is 7 reporting "Logos is slow" and 3 stating "runs fine for me".  Also in this thread, everyone that is reporting sluggishness and that has also listed their machine has listed a Mac.  

Page 1 of 4 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS