Tyndale Commentary Set - Problems with Pricing??

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 218
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 11 2018 6:21 PM

I refer to the following:

https://www.logos.com/product/148916/tyndale-commentaries

According to the product page, when I buy this set for $269.99, I will have NO NEW RESOURCE. In other words, I own every resource in this set, but I can buy it again for $269.99.

Makes sense?

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 947
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 6:23 PM

I wonder if it is similar to what happened with the Tim Keller sermon archive?

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 947
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 6:25 PM

It is probably because the updated volumes are now in there

Posts 25826
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 7:32 PM

Vincent Chia:
According to the product page, when I buy this set for $269.99, I will have NO NEW RESOURCE. In other words, I own every resource in this set, but I can buy it again for $269.99.

Screenshot?

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 218
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 7:39 PM

Seems to be sorted out now. It shows dynamic pricing, and my price is $0.

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 25826
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 7:41 PM

Yes

Posts 947
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 8:37 PM

How good are the updated volumes? 

Posts 1673
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 5:51 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/138788/tyndale-commentaries-upgrade 

Of these 9, only 2 Corinthians (Colin Kruse) and James (Douglas Moo) are updates from the same author.  The other 7 are new authors.

It may make sense that the 2 Volume Pslams was replaced due to "age", but more curious are other volumes replaced after 5 to 10 years.

From the Wikipedia article on the series, it does seem the goal of the set is to continuously refresh volumes over time.

Paul Barker reviews the new Jay Sklar - Leviticus volume in Themelios:

http://themelios.thegospelcoalition.org/review/leviticus-tyndale-old-testament-commentary-jay-sklar

C Hassell Bullock reviews the new Tremper Longman - Psalms volume(s) in Themelios:

http://themelios.thegospelcoalition.org/review/psalms-an-introduction-and-commentary

Daniel Estes reviews the new Iain Duguid - Song of Songs volume in Themelios:

http://themelios.thegospelcoalition.org/review/two-new-song-of-songs-commentaries

Posts 5137
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 6:15 AM

Dynamic pricing has been fixed! Cool 😎 decisions, decisions 👍😁👌

Posts 1463
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 6:29 AM

I'm trying to figure out why they didnt include Colin Kruse's second edition of John... seems rather odd. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 2285
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 6:31 AM

Yes this is much better.  When these updates first came out Logos wanted $160 for them.  Now my dynamic price is $44.  Seems almost too good to be true.  I concur with one of the previous comments... are these 9 new volumes worth it?  I have heard Skylar's version on Leviticus is excellent but I don't know on any of the others

Posts 1673
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 6:56 AM

John Kight:

I'm trying to figure out why they didnt include Colin Kruse's second edition of John... seems rather odd. 

https://www.ivpress.com/john-tntc

"The original, unrevised text of this volume has been completely retypeset and printed in a larger, more attractive format with the new cover design for the series."

...surely that's not all that was updated? (I haven't read either editions)

It looks like the author added more content throughout.

Posts 25826
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 7:01 AM

DAL:
Dynamic pricing has been fixed!

The price has gone down since I purchased last night. Can someone at FL check to see if I got the correct price? 

EDIT: Thanks! (The price was right... cue Drew Carey). 

Posts 1683
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 7:11 AM

I wonder why the updates are not in the NT bundle...

https://www.logos.com/product/147634/tyndale-new-testament-commentaries

--
Jan Krohn -- Returning back to Germany after 5 years of Mission Work in Cambodia. Starting Next Now...
www.heidoc.net -- Vyrso Freebies Newsletter -- Bible Apps -- Secret Microsoft Downloads

Posts 466
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 7:49 AM

Paul N,

This is from the author's preface to the 2nd edition.

I am grateful for the opportunity to upgrade my earlier commentary on the Gospel of John, first published in 2003, and I want to express my thanks to Dr Philip Duce, Senior Commissioning Editor at Inter-Varsity Press, and Professor Eckhard Schnabel, the Series Editor of the Tyndale New Testament Commentaries, for the invitation to do so. This provides an opportunity to thoroughly revise, expand and update it in the light of more recent studies and so enhance its value for present-day readers. This new edition is based on the widely used New International Version (2011).

Posts 25826
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 8:09 AM

John Kight:

...perhaps because it makes a prior resource obsolete. Typically FL is slow about putting out new editions for that reason. 

Posts 127
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 8:38 AM

alabama24:
The price has gone down since I purchased last night. Can someone at FL check to see if I got the correct price? 

I think there might be problems as it has no price shown at the moment!

Posts 1463
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 9:58 AM

alabama24:

John Kight:

...perhaps because it makes a prior resource obsolete. Typically FL is slow about putting out new editions for that reason. 

That's possible, but the collection appears to have both first and second editions of other volumes (some with new authors). My thought is that it is due to it being the most recently released volume in the series. I know FL is generally slow to upgraded bundles to include volumes recently released. 

I would like the 2nd edition, but the price will be significantly better as part of the collection with dynamic pricing. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 5137
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 1:24 PM

I’m good with the older set. Great upgrade price, though 👍😁👌

Posts 89
Andrew Malone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 3 2018 10:37 PM

Two quick updates on this thread, now that the Tyndale volumes are making a splash with the February sale (see this thread).

Paul N:

https://www.logos.com/product/138788/tyndale-commentaries-upgrade
It may make sense that the 2 Volume Pslams was replaced due to "age", but more curious are other volumes replaced after 5 to 10 years.

TOTC and TNTC volumes can appear difficult to date, because they were all repackaged around 2008. But all the replacement volumes in this upgrade set are significantly newer: 30–40 years newer and not merely 5–10 years.

book original replaced
Leviticus Harrison, 1980 Sklar, 2013
Deuteronomy Thompson, 1974 Woods, 2011
Psalms Kidner, 1973, 1975 Longman, 2014
Song of Songs
Carr, 1984 Duguid, 2015
Jeremiah, Lamentations
Harrison, 1973 Lalleman, 2013
Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi
Baldwin, 1972 Hill, 2012
Mark Cole, 1961, rev. 1989 Schnabel, 2017

The question has also been raised about Colin Kruse's revision of John (2003, rev. 2017). I'm guessing the answer is as simple as others have suggested: the revision has occurred too recently to be included. I'm pretty confident of this because neither does the set include two other recent, 2017 volumes: Lindsay Wilson on Proverbs and Mary Evans on Judges and Ruth. I guess we're just lucky that Eckhard Schnabel got his Mark volume out earlier in the year.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS