Page 5 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 103 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2020 5:03 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
I've never found a boundary that I am comfortable with between inculturation and syncretism - it's one of those I know it when I see it things.

We had a friend visit who works at Shinto 'HQ' (their version of such). I asked if I could sweep the steps of a local Shinto shrine (a pain, but highly spiritual). She was agreeable, and later asked a village. Then I asked if I could be Shinto and Christian. Not possible. My impression was the Christian part wasn't synchro-able.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 401
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2020 5:12 PM | Locked

Mathew Haferkamp:

Hey Adam Borries, so if I read you right anyone who wants to come on the forums and claim to be a Christian is beyond rebuke?   So if someone said they were Islam or Hindu but defined themselves as Christian we are wrong to say they are wrong?  Just want clarity.    

Matthew, the way that question is framed, it's almost impossible to give a satisfactory answer. The purpose these forums is to help people with Logos and other Faithlife products. It's theological neutral ground, and it always has been.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 29090
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2020 6:49 PM | Locked

Denise:
Then I asked if I could be Shinto and Christian.

I fear I know too little about Shinto to know why it is common to be Shinto & Buddhist but not Shinto & Christian. But multi-religion membership is a separate issue from a single "merged" religion. I was just trying to find resource on the former ... limited availability outside Asian discussions.

One possibility from a Christian perspective:  Many Yet One?: Multiple Religious Belonging by Rajkumar Peniel Jesudason Rufus OR maybe Many Mansions?: Multiple Religious Belonging and Christian Identity by Cornille, Catherine

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29090
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2020 7:27 PM | Locked

Mathew Haferkamp:
per a logos employee it was just done to appease a few people on the forums. 

I don't know to whom you spoke nor do I know anything about the internal Logos discussions beyond the hope that as Christians we would automatically behave ourselves. What I do know:

• a valued, longtime user of Logos member left the forums because he believed in his role as pastor, he could not be associated with such a divisive forum
  • another less known Logos member had to have Logos block all messages from another member as it constituted ongoing theological harassment.
  • I recall a reasonably active member admitting they were afraid to identify their (non-trinitarian) denomination 

I'm sure that if I knew of three cases, there were probably others. We have come a long ways from those days. Most requests for suggestions representing a particular theological stance generate reasonable lists with polite discussions asking for definitions etc. to appropriately understand the request. A recent example: I would have given a wildly off target suggestion for "social Gospel" because I did not know that besides the Catholic understanding, it also referred to a specific twentieth century Protestant movement.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 435
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 5:51 AM | Locked

Well that is not true Adam.  I do not know how long you have worked for logos but it started with very little guidelines. 

It was just a statement.  I wanted to make sure if someone new was reading this that logos does not support Mormonism, or are you going to set a platform for Mormonism like Catholicism?   

As far as MJ I know of many people who have left the forums because of dealing with you (and people like you).  Just as you did in this thread you start talking about "the guidelines" and proceed to break them yourself, and let us not forget you are constantly trying to change logos into verbum.  You have your own platform leave logos alone.   Why don't you petition logos to improve that one???

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 7:59 AM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
I fear I know too little about Shinto to know why it is common to be Shinto & Buddhist but not Shinto & Christian. But multi-religion membership is a separate issue from a single "merged" religion.

Yes, I recog where you're seeking (and not intending to drag it out). But my excessively hint-ified comment, was that Christianity is a very synchro religion, from both history, and even these days, where native-American pastors are not fully embraced; they might be synchro-contaminated (have watched that dance).

I've not seen any research/resources, though discussed at length in the missions.

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 8:06 AM | Locked

Mathew Haferkamp:
It was just a statement.  I wanted to make sure if someone new was reading this that logos does not support Mormonism, or are you going to set a platform for Mormonism like Catholicism? 

I'd think you'd be hard-pressed to identify exactly which group FL supports, or even if the Bible is of fairly recent vintage, from their offerings. True, individual staff have preferences.

Posts 435
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 8:32 AM | Locked

Denise

I would recommend this book in logos:  

Five Views on Biblical Inerrancy

Posts 401
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 8:36 AM | Locked

Mathew, first things first. Your comments toward MJ are at best uncharitable, and at worst is a personal attack. Either way, it's way outside the guidelines for the tone we want on the forums. 

Mathew Haferkamp:
I wanted to make sure if someone new was reading this that logos does not support Mormonism, or are you going to set a platform for Mormonism like Catholicism?   

Perhaps it will be helpful to read this excerpt from the Publishing Philosophy statement that Bob put out some years ago. 

But isn’t Logos a Christian company? I believe X, and I’m okay with your having books from the slightly misguided believers in Y, but the people who believe in Z aren’t even Christians!

True. For many values of Z, I agree with you: they’re beyond the bounds of orthodoxy. But Logos is a library, not a church, and the Z-content relates to the Bible and its study, whether you choose to read it for instruction or in order to refute it.

The statement goes on to differentiate how Faithlife operates as a publisher of original content, as opposed to a library platform; I encourage you to read the whole thing. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 435
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 8:53 AM | Locked

Ok Adam but MJ can say whatever she wants with your blessing.  I did not address anything to MJ until she addressed me.  What a pathetic place these forums have become.  So just put me down as one more person who doesn't use the forums (amongst many that I personally know).

I guess money has become more important to logos than Christianity.

So you leave me no choice but to just call in when I have a question and when they ask why did I not post it on the forums I will save this thread and send it to them. 

I remember back when you would check the forums and the first ten was would never span more than a couple hours and now usually now a day or MORE.

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 9:07 AM | Locked

Mathew Haferkamp:

I guess money has become more important to logos than Christianity.

I’ll read material not attached to my beliefs out of the interest in accurately understanding what different denominations do believe, and don’t think FL is more interested in money in doing so. Given that some Christians openly consider my Church to be the “whore of Babylon,” I’m glad the FL forum chooses NOT to police who is a Christian.

It seems to me they want to avoid sectarian forum wars.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 435
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 9:07 AM | Locked

Yea one more thing Adam I went back and read my posts and I did not start an argument with MJ she did with me.  I will not let her and you (Adam) run me off, I will start running the forums everyday to help where I can.  You have showed me that it is needed.

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 9:32 AM | Locked

Mathew Haferkamp:

Denise

I would recommend this book in logos:  

Five Views on Biblical Inerrancy

I doubt I'd be too confident of doctrines, where there's 4 views, 5 views, etc. At our church, the pastor offerred optional baptism. Folks really  appreciated it.

Posts 435
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 9:33 AM | Locked

Thanks for that David.  But if you go back and read what I said, I only said Mormonism is not Christian.  I did not make any more comments about them.  And then MJ made comments about it to me and I gave her some commentary on what she told me.  But I guess I need to read the guidelines.  I guess I am not to answer back to someone who has started a dialog with me??? 

But David I did not mean to step on your toes, the last thing I thought I would be talking about would be Catholicism.   

It just shows me I should not let someone else steer the conversation, I know better than that.

But Adam did not help!!!

Posts 1463
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:06 AM | Locked

"I only said Mormonism is not Christian."

Yes, something which hinges on idiosyncratic definitions, and which is not appropriate to affirm or deny on the forums.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 435
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:08 AM | Locked

Blinded!!!

Posts 1276
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:33 AM | Locked

Mathew Haferkamp:

Blinded!!!

Mathew. I suggest apologetics typically needs to be more nuanced than that! Like you I have strong beliefs, but these forums aren't for debating the rights and wrongs of each others beliefs

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:43 AM | Locked

Mathew Haferkamp:

But David I did not mean to step on your toes, the last thing I thought I would be talking about would be Catholicism.   

I didn't feel attacked by you. I just used it as an example of why I'm glad they don't define. My apologies if that sounded like I was accusing you.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 435
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:46 AM | Locked

Thanks Paul, I just didn't want to talk about it anymore so I just gave him a one word response.  He knows how I feel why is he going to poke the tiger???.  Looking for an argument???  Not going to get an apology for stating the truth.

Yea no problem David.  You are alright in my book.

Posts 1463
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 10:48 AM | Locked

"Not going to get an apology for stating the truth." And I'm not asking for one. You still don't seem to get that stating and contesting such "truths" is not appropriate for these forums. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Page 5 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS