Is Internet Connection Needed When You Do Live Presentation - Urgent

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 29
Craig Minke | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 28 2012 8:46 PM

If I do the presentation on internet, and then save it to the laptop and make sure it is all saved. Can I take this presentation to a location without internet and will it play everything I have saved.   I realize there will be a yellow triangle and no green light without an internet connection but will I be able to page through the presentation without having problems if I don't have an internet connection.

Craig

Posts 152
Chris Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 9:47 PM

Once your machine has fully downloaded a presentation, it is cached locally. This means that as long as you use that same machine, you can fire it up without an internet connection and present. Of course signals and the remote control apps for smartphones will not work.

Platform Details for Alpha/Beta Testing Reference:

• Windows 7 Home Premium x64
  • Intel Core2 Duo P7450 @ 2.13GHz
  • 6GB DDR3 RAM
  • Logos 4 Gold

Posts 81
Ps3 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 4:51 PM

This is important.  We do a retreat in an area where there is no internet.  How would we be able to use proclaim?  When it is 'cached' locally does it actually "save" locally so that when proclaim is opened it utilizes the cache file?

• Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Surface Pro
  • Windows Phone Denim
  • Logos 5 Gold
  • Proclaim
Posts 152
Chris Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 5:07 PM

Hopefully an official Proclaim rep will also confirm this, but according to my experiments and what I have read so far, once a presentation has been opened on a computer and the initial sync has taken place, all of the media items are at that point living on your computer and being displayed from there. You can close your laptop, go to a different location without internet, open it back up and you should be good to go.

For a quick test, you can create a couple quick test presentations, make sure they are synced to your test laptop, close the laptop and switch the wireless antenna off. If you can open the machine and present - you should be all set.

Platform Details for Alpha/Beta Testing Reference:

• Windows 7 Home Premium x64
  • Intel Core2 Duo P7450 @ 2.13GHz
  • 6GB DDR3 RAM
  • Logos 4 Gold

Posts 1729
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 9:02 AM

Chris Martin:

Hopefully an official Proclaim rep will also confirm this, but according to my experiments and what I have read so far, once a presentation has been opened on a computer and the initial sync has taken place, all of the media items are at that point living on your computer and being displayed from there. You can close your laptop, go to a different location without internet, open it back up and you should be good to go.

For a quick test, you can create a couple quick test presentations, make sure they are synced to your test laptop, close the laptop and switch the wireless antenna off. If you can open the machine and present - you should be all set.

Yes, this should work fine. All of your presentations and media are backed up to our Cloud server, but once a presentation has downloaded all of its media then it can be presented locally.

Chris Martin had some good advice. You can put your mind at ease by previewing one of your presentations on your computer with Internet, then when it looks good, disconnect from the internet and it should display just fine.

It is important to note that certain functions (Signals and the iPad/iPod remote) will not function without internet. 

Thanks, 

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 25
Rev. Don Godwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 5:31 PM

Last Sunday, just after I signed up to pay the monthly fee (for Proclaim license), I set up the Mac in our church, which has no internet, and Proclaim put up a note explaining I would not be able to use the scriptures.

For the record, I use NIV84... wondering if there is some special licensing issue relative to ONLY that translation, but MAN, this was frustrating!

Have not had a chance to head down to the church to try another test, but hoping this does not happen again tomorrow!

Posts 8
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 6:23 PM

Will the purchased content and other media that I have uploaded to the cloud also be available to create new presentations. Say I am at a retreat in the woods for 3-4 days with no internet - not even cell phone signal to tether to! (I'm already stressed thinking about it!) I decide to change one of the sessions and want to use something I had purchased through the store. Is that content also cached locally? Could I access 3 or 4 sessions that I have built for the weekend or would I have to build all three days worth of material into one big presentation since only one will be stored in the cache on my system?

Posts 81
Ps3 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 8:14 PM

Chris Martin:

Yes, this should work fine. All of your presentations and media are backed up to our Cloud server, but once a presentation has downloaded all of its media then it can be presented locally.

I also hope an "official Rep" responds.  It seems more than reasonable for Proclaim to have the ability to "Save As" all presentations to the local hard drive. You can still sync to the cloud but it is critical to have the ability to save all of our presentations locally.  Putting our trust in the in the ability to access the Internet is extremely risky at best.  I've spent hours in my office and home just trying to get my sermon notes laid out in Proclaim only to have them not work properly when accessed in the sanctuary.  In the middle of one presentation the remote app failed and I was unable to change slides.  If I was planning to go 'off-site' I would definitely NOT recommend using Proclaim but would strongly recommend going back and using Media Shout or Powerpoint. At least you can carry a flash drive backup in your pocket to run the presentation on another computer if yours fails. There is far too much at risk.  It's not only embarrassing, but frustrating and unprofessional to have to stand before the congregation to bring the Word of God and find yourself completely thrown off because your presentation software isn't working properly or even at all.  Yikes!  Yes, it has happened to me already using Proclaim.  Tongue Tied  Someone in this company needs to have the audacity to demand a "Save As" feature! It only makes sense!  Ticket Please...  Confused

• Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Surface Pro
  • Windows Phone Denim
  • Logos 5 Gold
  • Proclaim
Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 8:49 PM

Michael Pudlo:
Will the purchased content and other media that I have uploaded to the cloud also be available to create new presentations. Say I am at a retreat in the woods for 3-4 days with no internet - not even cell phone signal to tether to! (I'm already stressed thinking about it!) I decide to change one of the sessions and want to use something I had purchased through the store. Is that content also cached locally? Could I access 3 or 4 sessions that I have built for the weekend or would I have to build all three days worth of material into one big presentation since only one will be stored in the cache on my system?

Cached content used by a presentation does not expire. In other words, you can have several presentations using different store backgrounds and custom uploads, once you have downloaded the content it is cached and will be available for offline access.

Posts 81
Ps3 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:04 PM

Where is the location of the cached files in Windows & Mac for the Proclaim Presentations?  This would be helpful information to know.

• Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Surface Pro
  • Windows Phone Denim
  • Logos 5 Gold
  • Proclaim
Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:39 PM

Ps3:
Where is the location of the cached files in Windows & Mac for the Proclaim Presentations?  This would be helpful information to know.

They are in an application data location that is not intended to be accessed by the end user.

Posts 19
Diederick Rudolph Schwartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:44 AM

I can only say "Amen" to the "save as" possibility.  It is just fair to have access to your own work after you bought a license to use the software - without the need to connect to the internet.  In our part of the world you have an connection that any one moment provide excellent download speeds, and the next almost freeze to zero.

So, Proclaim engineers, this option should be available in the next upgrade!

I just read on another thread that there is something like a cache where a presentation will be stored.  But they also point out that the end user is not suppoed to have a look at these files.  It's hidden somewhere, but goodness knows where.  With my knowledge of computers and software I will probably need to stay away in any case before everything will be wrecked beyond repair.

So, PLEASE give us the "Save As" option!!

Posts 32
OCGF1 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:22 AM

Absolutely. The more I use Proclaim the more I feel I need to have an accessible backup copy of my work.  I've been using Proclaim to teach classes (not on Sunday's) just to see how fluid using Proclaim would be.  I've had several problems but even more so with this new build that has just come out in regards to embedded web pages.  Proclaim has locked up on me several times and I was unable to keep the program open.  I finally had to disconnect the Internet and delete the latest changes that I had made until Proclaim would load and stay open again.  A Save As function definitely would have been helpful here so that I could have loaded a different presentation all together.  Without a Save As you cannot open the presentation that you want immediately.  You have to open the latest presentation and then switch over to the one you want.  I just don't understand why the Proclaimers Don't want to offer this feature.  It seems elementary to me.  I just don't understand...  Sad

• Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center
  • AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5 GHz
  • OCZ DDR2 8Gb
  • Logos 5
  • Proclaim
Posts 1729
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:46 AM

Orange County Gospel Fellowship 1:

Absolutely. The more I use Proclaim the more I feel I need to have an accessible backup copy of my work.  I've been using Proclaim to teach classes (not on Sunday's) just to see how fluid using Proclaim would be.  I've had several problems but even more so with this new build that has just come out in regards to embedded web pages.  Proclaim has locked up on me several times and I was unable to keep the program open.  I finally had to disconnect the Internet and delete the latest changes that I had made until Proclaim would load and stay open again.  A Save As function definitely would have been helpful here so that I could have loaded a different presentation all together.  Without a Save As you cannot open the presentation that you want immediately.  You have to open the latest presentation and then switch over to the one you want.  I just don't understand why the Proclaimers Don't want to offer this feature.  It seems elementary to me.  I just don't understand...  Sad

We are looking into several options for increasing Offline support. Proclaim was never designed with that use in mind, so implementing an offline save feature isn't trivial in complexity.

I'd also be very curious to know which websites were causing problems for you. 

Thanks,

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 32
OCGF1 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 5:57 PM

I'm glad to hear that.  We were using God Tube, You Tube, and ours and several other websites with Flash and other moving images.  Once saved and updated to the cloud we were unable to open Proclaim while allowing it to sync to the cloud.  Once we would disconnect from the internet/cloud we would be able to open Proclaim normally.  Once we deleted the saved website it would then work normally again.

• Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center
  • AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5 GHz
  • OCZ DDR2 8Gb
  • Logos 5
  • Proclaim
Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 11:27 PM

Hunter Clagett:
We are looking into several options for increasing Offline support. Proclaim was never designed with that use in mind, so implementing an offline save feature isn't trivial in complexity.

Remember Steve Jobs - he made a fortune out of scrapping old ways of working.

See how many laptops there are that don't have optical drives anymore?

Make the product work to the design and people will change their expectations.

Make another 'run of the mill' presentation suite and what 'differentiates' your product?

Posts 2941
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 11:58 PM

will there be  either monthly costs or any cost for proclaim in the future?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 21917
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 12:21 AM

Hi Tes

Tes:

The Proclaim engine is free.

To project presentations (without a watermark showing) there is already a subscription cost - details are available at http://www.proclaimonline.com/pricing.aspx

Graham

Posts 2941
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 8:25 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Tes

Tes:

The Proclaim engine is free.

To project presentations (without a watermark showing) there is already a subscription cost - details are available at http://www.proclaimonline.com/pricing.aspx

Graham

Thank you Graham.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 7:37 AM

Hunter Clagett:

I know this whole 'cloud thing' has been debated around here pretty regularly.  However, what I see are customers consistently voicing their desire/need to have non-internet-tethered local access.  NOT simply in some catch folder that I'm not "supposed to" access, but where ---> I <--- can choose to save it like on the desktop or a thumb-drive.   I'm not (or our church) going to be interested in proclaim with out it (or with out EASY PP integration).  

As a side note, If the Bible program side ever goes all cloud I would pack my bags.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS