Logos 5 Upgrade

Page 4 of 9 (162 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 161 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 886
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:16 PM

One thing I am always surprised is that the others are not reading carefully. The original poster clearly states what his intension is and want to help Logos to understand why people are upset. But even stating that clear someone would just say that why complain and logos is doing great and even say that Christians should be giving thanks rather than complaining and something such as this is the way to do business, bla, bla, bla.

I understand all these. Many others do. But we felt logos is not understanding why people upset and think that they have wrong expectation or what. I heard no one from Logos saying that they realize the issue and apologize or what.

I have said that, and I am saying it again. Logos is great, the new update is great. The pricing is great.

the timing is not great (including some time for people to expect it and save money for it), the information is not great (Logos fails to deliver some critical information to let the customer understand what's going on. I read one thought that they have to upgrade in order to state using the Gold resources they already own. Again, the Loos policy is great but they fail to let people know how great it is so that upset many), the attitude is not great (some not all, are listening), the sale rep is not great (I heard some said they misled)

Logos has many couseling resources but many people here fall short of practicing the most basic couseling skills. Some not all, listens, from the angle of the other party, and feel and understand from their angle.

yes, I'm losting temper this time, not before. Not because of the software, but (some of) the people.

Posts 28305
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:33 PM

Kolen Cheung:
But we felt logos is not understanding why people upset and think that they have wrong expectation or what. I heard no one from Logos saying that they realize the issue and apologize or what.

Please read Bob's post: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8227
LogosEmployee

Lloyd Wicker:

If anyone at Logos is reading this, know that there are many who love and appreciate what you do. … Keep up the good work...and thanks for your tireless commitment to serve us. You make my life much easier and enjoyable...and not only do my wife and kids benefit from that...but my church does too. 

Thanks for the appreciative and kind words; I'll pass them along to the team.

Posts 2
Adam Spence | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 3:25 AM

It's simple. We've bought our Logos resources already in Logos 4. There should be a simple, single software upgrade price, regardless of what resources you have bought previously. The upgrade is for software, not resources. Anything more than $50 would be a rip-off for a few new features. 

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 3:30 AM

Hi Adam,

Firstly, welcome!

Adam Spence:
It's simple. We've bought our Logos resources already in Logos 4. There should be a simple, single software upgrade price, regardless of what resources you have bought previously. The upgrade is for software, not resources. Anything more than $50 would be a rip-off for a few new features. 

Just to reassure you that this option, a minimal crossgrade, is indeed coming.

I have not seen a definitive price announcement, but am led to believe that the cost may be around or less than $100.

I further expect Logos to release the free engine at some stage. The latter option will not include features new to L5.

In summary, keep your eyes peeled for an announcement in the coming weeks.

Posts 886
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 3:38 AM

Adam Spence:

I believe this time is quite different. Building up that database arguably is more valuable than any single resource.

Posts 8227
LogosEmployee

Adam Spence:

There will be a single software upgrade price: it will be free (for just the engine update), http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx

The new Logos 5 engine will read and search all the existing resources you already own in Logos 4. But many new Logos 5 features require data resources that are only present in the Logos 5 base packages (and possibly also the forthcoming minimal crossgrade). A simple analogy is that Bible Search is a feature of Logos 4, but you also have to purchase some Bibles in order for it to work.

Posts 7
Larry Baxter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:33 AM

Speaking of Christmas... any idea if the fairly decent upgrade prices for L4 users will stick around for at least a month or two for the Christmas season? (And ideally, for their annual Christmas sale and credits). I currently have a Windows XP system and will be getting a new Windows 8 computer for Christmas. I can't use Logos 5 now, and would regardless like to hold off until December when I hope to place an order for several new Logos goodies.

Very glad to hear the official posts with the minimal crossgrade and software engine updates coming out soon. That's my backup plan if for some reason they would revert in Christmas season to L4 users paying full price instead of just paying for new resources.

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:10 AM

Larry Baxter:

Speaking of Christmas... any idea if the fairly decent upgrade prices for L4 users will stick around for at least a month or two for the Christmas season? (And ideally, for their annual Christmas sale and credits). I currently have a Windows XP system and will be getting a new Windows 8 computer for Christmas. I can't use Logos 5 now, and would regardless like to hold off until December when I hope to place an order for several new Logos goodies.

Very glad to hear the official posts with the minimal crossgrade and software engine updates coming out soon. That's my backup plan if for some reason they would revert in Christmas season to L4 users paying full price instead of just paying for new resources.

Logos indicated the upgrade pricing you're seeing today will continue through Christmas and maybe a little beyond. I would expect plenty of notice when they decide on a final date for this pricing

Posts 7
Larry Baxter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:36 PM

Fredc, thanks for the info! That's great. I've been a lurker for a while here - love the Logos software and the community... "hello" everyone Smile

Posts 3
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:28 AM

I‘m really very.... disappointed and sad with Logos!!

We just want the L5 engine, but Logos keep asking us to upgrade package for few hundred dollars to get the engine.

Over the years I had spend over 8K USD for logos books. And now I still a Scholar user. Why?

This showed that Logos packages resources are useless, not worthwhile....

With this sum of money, shall Logos award me Portfolio for free?

Can't believe it , upgrade to Silver costs me $440+

What's wrong with Logos, keep on push loyal customer to upgrade for useless package?

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:35 AM

Thye Kim Fwee:
We just want the L5 engine, but Logos keep asking us to upgrade package for few hundred dollars to get the engine.

Firstly, Thye, welcome!

The good news is that Logos have stated that both the free engine and a minimal crossgrade (with additional functionality) will be available in the coming weeks. I suggest that you either subscribe to the Logos blog or check back here for further announcements.

Thye Kim Fwee:
This showed that Logos packages resources are useless, not worthwhile....

I am not 100% certain I understand you on this point, but I just wanted to reassure you that L4 will continue to function and remains supported. Indeed, it is my understanding that Logos have planned further updates. In other words, you have lost nothing and you are not required to upgrade should you not wish to.

I would also ask you to consider the fact that there are users who still prefer L3 which was, until relatively recently, still supported by Logos.

In summary:

You have lost nothing. You under no compulsion to upgrade either now or in the future. Logos will provide opportunities to download either the free engine or minimally cross grade (at a lower cost) in the near future.

Blessings

Posts 3
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:46 AM

Thanks for your quick replied.

My L4 still having problems not solve (my logs file sent to technical dept about a month ago), how can I trust for L5?

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:09 AM

Thye Kim Fwee:
My L4 still having problems not solve (my logs file sent to technical dept about a month ago), how can I trust for L5?

I am sorry that you are having difficulties with L4 (I now understand your original post a little better). One option would be to start a new thread on the forums describing your difficulties and posting your logs. There are a number of very helpful and informed users who may be able to assist.

In terms of L5, the feedback regarding the software has been almost uniformly appears (from perusing the forums) to be very positive. 

I was involved in the latter phase of the Beta testing and yesterday upgraded to L5. I have been exceedingly impressed with the improves in terms of speed and functionality. A word of caution, however, I did not really experience any difficulties with L4. 

I would expect that every L4 user would be pleased with the improvements in L5. I cannot guarantee that upgrading will address your problems without knowing more about the difficulties you are experiencing with L4.

I strongly recommend that you start a new thread detailing your difficulties and we will do our best to help you.

Posts 115
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:30 PM

This had to be a poor choice.  I've used Logos since 2003, and I don't see how many users could be happy about this.

There were promises that things like the sermon add-on and so forth would be added to version 4, and it appears that other features never made it.  For months, for examples, I thought topical searches would be added to 4.  So seeing that in version 5 comes as a shock.

In other words, version 4 was incomplete, and 5 is an attempt to complete it.  However, most users will not be very pleased.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:52 PM

Joel J.:
There were promises that things like the sermon add-on and so forth would be added to version 4, and it appears that other features never made it.  For months, for examples, I thought topical searches would be added to 4.  So seeing that in version 5 comes as a shock.

Hi Joel,

It is apparent, from perusing the forums, that other users have expressed similar sentiments.

The good news is that Logos have announced that much, if not all, of the functionality of L5 will be made available via a minimal crossgrade. Logos have further advised that they intended to make the L5 engine available for no cost (i.e. for free). 

You may be interested to read further details from Bob Pritchett, here,

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx

Blessings

Posts 43
Ben Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:15 PM

Having used Logos since 2.0, I have great respect for the company and their successful purpose of making Bible study both quicker and more comprehensive. However, Logos has caused quite some confusion--which often leads to discontent--with this upgrade. Here are my suggestions for Logos.

1. Inform the world one month prior to release about the update procedure, packages available, new features and resources required to make the new features work. Customers can get excited, figure out what they want and start saving $$.
  2. Release the free update from L4 to L5 immediately, with a clear explanation that certain resources must be purchased separately to enable each new feature of L5. The comments show that loyal customers feel like they are being blackmailed into buying more resources to get L5, even though the stated policy of Logos is that the software is free. The wait of undetermined length makes customers feel like they are being penalized for not buying new resources.
  3. Release all the new and crossgrade packages simultaneously with completely different names. Thus someone can know that they have all resources of L3 Scholars plus L4 Platinum plus L5 "Jubilee" for example. Then they won't feel like they are downgrading their library when they move to L5. The focus will be on adding new resources and features and not on retaining or losing a certain package.

Hindsight is great.

Ben

Posts 6
Adam Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:34 PM

I agree Justn. I was one of those that just purchased Logos 4 only 2 weeks ago (late October) to only learn that Logos 5 is now available for hundreds more. Had I have been an informed consumer, I would have waited to have purchased Logos 5. I'm disappointed in the Logos team and their lack of communication and updgrade offers available to those that just purchased Logos 4. However, Logos 4 is still a great program, and as long as it continues to function. I guess I will choose to be happy with my original decision to purchase the software before I evern even knew Logos 5 was an option.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:43 PM

Adam Blevins:
I was one of those that just purchased Logos 4 only 2 weeks ago (late October) to only learn that Logos 5 is now available for hundreds more.

Hi Adam,

Do keep in mind that Logos offer a 30 day 'no questions asked' return policy. One option may be to return L4 and, instead, purchase L5. You should, of course, consider this very careful as the L5 package is very different. If you return L4 and purchase L5 instead, the L5 resources will replace the L4 resources. This may or may not be a good thing, depending upon your interests or needs.

A further consideration is that Logos have now announced that they intend to release a minimal crossgrade which will provide some/all of the functionality of L5. Moreover, Logos intend to release the L5 engine at no cost (for free) which will provide the engine, but not the additional functionality. It may be an option, therefore, to keep your L4 resources, and crossgrade to L5 at either minimal or no additional cost.

Bob Pritchett has commented further, here,

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx

If in doubt, I would strongly suggest that you telephone or email sales in order to ask a member of the sales team to talk you through the various options.

Blessings in your decision Big Smile

Posts 6
Adam Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:54 PM

Thank you so much Andy for your response. You really made alot of sense. I had completely forgotten about the 30 day return policy. I will take some time to read Bob's post as well as compare the L4/L5 packages to see the major differences. It is very good to hear that Logos has already started working on an L5 engine upgrade for those still on L4.

I'm not disappointed in the L4 software by the way. It is the best Bible software that I have used, and I congratulate the Logos team for all of their hard work.

Page 4 of 9 (162 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS