Logos 5 Upgrade

Page 6 of 9 (162 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
This post has 161 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 5:05 AM

BTW: The dynamic pricing does not even show my other collections as ever being purchased, so again, you are mistaken.

None are listed or taken into account. New to me shows titles i have had for a long time.

Blessings.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 5:06 AM

Amen Fr., Amen.

Posts 20220
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 5:32 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

BTW: The dynamic pricing does not even show my other collections as ever being purchased, so again, you are mistaken.

None are listed or taken into account. New to me shows titles i have had for a long time.

Are you able to give some examples?

I know that some series show when titles have been added or updates have been made but understood that all titles which you owned are taken into account.

So some specifics would be useful for Logos to investigate.

Graham 

Posts 41
Edward Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 6:39 AM

I really agree with point #2.  I am comfortable with my present library and will add resources that I want, but some of the features of who they bring information together are features I am interested in paying for.  But the price tag is very high as I only want the increased functionality, not the increased volume of books.  Is there a way to only upgrade software?

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 6:40 AM

E Hatch:

I really agree with point #2.  I am comfortable with my present library and will add resources that I want, but some of the features of who they bring information together are features I am interested in paying for.  But the price tag is very high as I only want the increased functionality, not the increased volume of books.  Is there a way to only upgrade software?

There will be a crossgrade that will allow you unlock the new datasets.

Posts 41
Edward Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 6:41 AM

I meant "how", not "who".  I don't need more people in my office at this timeSmile

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:25 AM

Fr. Charles, I genuinely feel for you and have prayed for you often in ref. to the many problems you experienced in L4. I never experienced those myself, and I am sure that had to have been terrible, esp. with preaching deadlines.

In ref. to one of your posts in response to mine, I never claimed that there was no confusion in the roll out. I however, respectfully disagree that the features listing was difficult to find, or what was included in each package. I would guess from our disagreement on this, that there are perceptional differences from being different human beings (I mean, what we individually pick up on/process readily). That is not to devalue either person's perceptive abilities... they are just different. I DO stand to my original point, that the information wasn't, as the poster claimed, displayed in "fine print". 

And I do feel it is unfair (from the poster to whom I originally responded and in your own post) to claim that this information was intentionally hidden or made difficult to find. You are making attributions as to motives and intentions, and we are admonsihed not to do so. Why not simply say "I personally didn't see it." Why is it necessary to ascribe evil motives to a brother in Christ? Okay, for you, maybe it wasn't in a place or displayed in a way that worked well for you. Maybe there was a better way to do it. Does that mean that Logos employees are evil-intentioned people? Or could they simply be human beings trying to do what they do the best they can, and maybe in hindsight could do some things better?

Or why not simply admit it was something you personally missed? There is no implication you are a lesser person for having done so. I myself had no difficulty finding the information in question. As with your experience with L4, it is faulty to assume that just because you had trouble with it, the majority did; nor is it right (and this is the main point I was making) to start attacking the intentions of others or the company as a whole. Just because you personally didn't easily locate the features list, is it logical or Christ-like to jump to the assertion in a public forum that Logos purposefully and maliciously kept it hard to find for nefarious purposes?

You note that lots of people are confused. Never said they weren't. But lots of people also seem to be very, very, very happy indeed with L5... even on these forums. Based on my discussions with people at Logos, sales are fantastic, and people are thrilled with the product. Most of those who are grumbling and complaining (based on what I have read in these forums) are doing so based on faulty information (although by no means all), and many are expressing themselves  with ungracious and slanderous comments. I should also point out that I never said that things weren't confusing... in fact, I have acknowledged many times that there was confusion... most of which seems to be based on the labeling of the packages and the real meaning of the "New to You" feature. I was specifically addressing the comments of the poster who was bashing Logos (claiming that they "stole" his money, and that he didn't receive what he paid for... neither of which was true) because he made an incorrect choice for his needs. And it was a very simple thing for the "problem" to be rectified without slandering the company. It seems to be very fashionable in our society not to accept responsibility for anything (and Charles, I am NOT here discussing your situation, which is a different case, so please don't misunderstand or be offended).

I don't understand what you meant about certain "other collections" that you purchased not being taken into consideration. If you mean, collections or titles that you own, that are also included in the new packages... they are... but you might be missing a new volume. But it sounds like you are aware of that. So it seems like you are saying that Logos has not taken into consideration other titles that you may have purchased, that have no connection whatsoever to anything that is included in the packages. Am I understanding you correctly? And if I am... why in the world should they???? The dynamic pricing isn't some kind of "reward system" because you bought a bunch of unrelated stuff in the past. It is simply tracking all of the volumes that you may have purchased that are included in any of the new packages, and making sure that you receive a credit of some kind for each of those volumes so that you aren't paying for them twice. In my case, I have quite a number of titles in my New To You listing that I have owned for ages... many of which I have upgraded. However, all of that HAS been taken into account. The New to You button is telling me (confirmed upon researching it) that there is yet another volume or two that is in the newly released set that I don't have in my existing set. It isn't saying that you don't own any of them, or haven't received credit for the volumes that you do own.

No one is attempting (as another poster has ungraciously written) to blame the victim or be a charlatan. All I'm trying to say is can we pull back from all of the emotional rhetoric, the false accusations and slanderous attack against people's motives and hearts, and calmly speak to each other truthfully and with a bit of graciousness? Let's not jump from "I don't understand this thing" to "Logos is an evil company intentionally trying to hide things from me for their evil, greedy ends". Okay... there's lots we don't understand... all of us. Let's talk about it and figure it out.

Posts 103
Lonnie Ritchie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:39 AM

I have to agree with a lot of these comments.  I believe that Logos is a high quality company with honestty at the foundation of their business.  And, of course, they have to make money or go out of business.  I love preaching, and would do it for nothing if I could.  But I can't, so I have to require payment for my efforts.  Now here's how I'd solve this whole problem: provide a software update only for those of us who already have large libraries.  A cost in the range of $75 to $100 would not break me, but the over $600 their asking for my particular upgrade is out of the question.  In that case, I'll have to stay with Version 4.  And, too, though I know it's impossible to determine what each person wants in his/her library, I have to confess that most of the books they offer aren't appealing to me.  But they package them with the upgrade.  Too expensive.  I'll have to pass until and unless they just offer the software at a reasonable/fair price.

Lonnie Ritchie

Posts 3808
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:47 AM

Lonnie:
but the over $600 their asking for my particular upgrade is out of the question.  In that case, I'll have to stay with Version 4. 

Keep in mind that their thinking with upgrades is different this time around. with L4 the logical thing to do was upgrade from say L3 Gold to L4 Gold. With L5 it is perfectly rational to "upgrade" from L4 Platinum to say L5 Gold or even L5 Silver.

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:02 AM

And Lonnie, know what else? You don't have to stay with L4. In a couple of weeks, the minimal crossgrade options should be available... that's more what you seem to be wanting/needing (like many of us). It looks like there will be more than one level to the minimal crossgrade at different price points, so you don't have to buy anything that you don't want or need. The cost looks like it will be between $75 and $300... the lower end of that scale if you already have an L4 package, according to Phil. Or you could go L5 starter or Bronze or even Silver, and add a cross grade to pick up the datasets/features that you are still missing, and what you paid for any of those L5 packages will be taken into consideration, so your cross grade price could be minimal. And if all else fails... you STILL don't have to stay with L4, unless you really want to. You can get the L5 engine for FREE... faster, better in a lot of ways. SO you lose absolutely nothing, and gain... well, as much as you wish and chose to purchase. (You can always get the crossgrade a bit later, too if free is your best route for now).

Posts 25
Jeff Hendershot | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:18 AM

Is the Logos 5 engine available now? I'm like everyone else... have been "feeding" Logos with upgrades throughout the years.... but I'm disappointed with the resource-hogging nature of Logos 4 and hope L5 works faster on my 3 year old laptop (but my budget is much tighter these days so an upgrade is going to have to wait)...

Posts 8596
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:28 AM

Jeff Hendershot:
Is the Logos 5 engine available now?
Phil posted this morning that it should be perhaps a couple of weeks before that happens. The "package" is still being assembled I believe. Soon.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2820
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:54 AM

Come on guys- I was miffed as well whe L5 came out- 1600 to updated my L4 portfolio to L5 portfolio - Bob came through for us- will be offering minimal crossroads with the new data sets soon- buy it.

Then use the $$$$$$ you save to buy the resources you really need to make L5 sing to you.

It just seems like we are rehashing the same issues on 10 different threads.

Posts 12
Hanson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:20 AM

You have misunderstood what I was trying to express. I stand by my statements and yes I have a right to be upset. 

Hanson 

Posts 3808
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:15 AM

Hanson:

You have misunderstood what I was trying to express. I stand by my statements and yes I have a right to be upset. 

Hanson 

I would only ask you to consider one thing (those others might add to the list). Has Logos taken away from or limited the future usability of any of your past purchases with the release of Logos 5? Consider that within a short period you will be able to use all your current resources in the Logos 5 engine for free and that you can return your starter package for free. Will you have the features that are Dependent on data sets without the future cross grade?  no. But you will continue to maintain all functionality you have come to appreciate in L4 with an improved engine.

Posts 12
Hanson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 3:46 PM

To Logos and the forum users I woul like to offer my apologies for my attitude. It was unwarranted, misdirect and inappropriate.

Hanson M.

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 3:51 PM

Hanson...

No problem! We ALL have our moments (I know I have here, too). Very gracious of you to apologize. I sincerely hope that I caused you no offense... that was the farthest desire from my heart.

Praying that your frustrations will soon be resolved, and that you will be very blessed by your software!

Very best wishes in Christ

Emile

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 3:54 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Come on guys- I was miffed as well whe L5 came out- 1600 to updated my L4 portfolio to L5 portfolio - Bob came through for us- will be offering minimal crossroads with the new data sets soon- buy it.

Then use the $$$ you save to buy the resources you really need to make L5 sing to you.

It just seems like we are rehashing the same issues on 10 different threads.

Agreed.... I too was a bit dismayed at the initial sudden release and upgrade pricing.  I ended up deciding to upgrade my L4 Platinum to L5 Platinum for $605.  While I really didn't need the resources I will use them and wanted to support Logos.  Many may not want to do this but it worked for me after much thought.  At the end of the day after Bob confirmed cross grades with data sets  it seems like the ire would settle a bit here on the forums.

I DO however wish Logos would announce launch dates in the future to avoid confusion with customers.  They have always treated me right though and I am very happy with L5.

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 100
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:54 AM

Actually I thought the Upgrade engine worked quite well. Angry

After being released from intensive care due to a cardiac arrest when I saw a figure of $1,506.93USD displayed in the total box as my upgrade path I managed to get past the "hype" by spending considerable time, again, on the Forums and there discovered I can wait for the Free cross grade which will be released at some indeterminate date in the future and not pay a cent for the L5 engine.

I might even be able to optionally add L5 datasets in the future but I would need to spend more time, most likely on the Forums again (haven't yet found anything in the FAQ's that answers this question), to see if the current upgrade discounts will be pulled BEFORE or AFTER I have a chance to review the available, if any, dataset cross grade options Logos is making available sometime in the future.

As for the cardiac arrest, I wised up (I'm really quick sometimes), with the Gold option selected the figure in the total box dropped down to a mere $508.65USD. Not bad I guess for a 100 or so books Logos deems I must have to make all the L5 features work but for which I have little or no interest in.

But seriously L5 does look much cleaner and more responsive on a Mac which is most encouraging.

See Joe Millers post for a review, direct link below:-

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/57993.aspx?PageIndex=3

Joe Miller:

So the site is up and now I am able to share with you my own video review of Logos 5 http://www.morethancake.org/archives/5580

Posts 10262
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 3:21 AM

S Mack:
But seriously L5 does look much cleaner and more responsive on a Mac which is most encouraging.

Yes, it does.

Mac Logs | PC Logs | Install 

Page 6 of 9 (162 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS