We need more books on the Doctrine of Hell

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 64 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 9:42 AM

I mean this sincerely and not offhandedly....God bless you Mitchell. 

I appreciated everyone's thoughtful suggestions in here and the interaction helped me utilize Logos 5.0 to inform my sermon (it was a cinch to find the passages in the Gospels with it - logos4:Search;kind=Bible;q=Hell;match=stem) which went reasonably well.  Its only my second sermon and was "topical" but I hope to revisit this subject and do an expositional sermon focused upon one passage in the future instead. 

I enjoyed using Logos to locate what Jesus said and intended.  Logos use shows us quickly Our Lord did speak on this important topic. I am glad this thread will exist for me/others to return to listing Logos resources for future study and sermons. 

Glory to God.  Jesus Lead On.Smile

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 10:39 AM

Joshua Lieder:

We need more books on the Doctrine of Hell and What Jesus specifically said about it?

Let me preface the following statement with the fact that I strongly believe in a literal hell. I also believe that some emphasize it more than the apostles did.

If you do a Bible search for "hell" in the book of Acts and Paul's Epistles, you will not find the word used at all.

Ask yourself, if we do not find "hell" used in Paul's writing and the recorded messages in Acts, how much was it emphasized in the NT church? 

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 11:24 AM

The people back then believed in hell, there was no need to teach the doctrine. But how to escape it did need teaching.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 1:01 PM

Edwin Bowden:

Joshua Lieder:

We need more books on the Doctrine of Hell and What Jesus specifically said about it?

Let me preface the following statement with the fact that I strongly believe in a literal hell. I also believe that some emphasize it more than the apostles did.

If you do a Bible search for "hell" in the book of Acts and Paul's Epistles, you will not find the word used at all.

Ask yourself, if we do not find "hell" used in Paul's writing and the recorded messages in Acts, how much was it emphasized in the NT church? 

Interesting subject and comment.  I'll take your word for it that Paul never ever talk about "hell".  Does he talk about life after death?  Or what happens after death?  Or Sheol?  Or anything related?  How do I use Logos to do the research?

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 1:01 PM

Joshua Lieder:
I mean this sincerely and not offhandedly....God bless you Mitchell. 

Thank you Joshua. You as well.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 2:12 PM

Steve:

Edwin Bowden:

Joshua Lieder:

Interesting subject and comment.  I'll take your word for it that Paul never ever talk about "hell".  Does he talk about life after death?  Or what happens after death?  Or Sheol?  Or anything related?  How do I use Logos to do the research?

Peace, Steve!        *smile*

I for one appreciate the wonderful and unique way that St. Paul talks about life and death in his writings!         A lot!     Very special.

I'm going to have to think about how to use Logos to do the research ...         *smile*                  Most of my knowledge and understanding of Paul's preaching comes from my mind and heart after years and years of reading The Holy Word!             

For example:

To Live Is Christ

Yes, and I will rejoice, 19 for I know that fthrough your prayers and gthe help of hthe Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, 20 as it is my eager expectation and hope ithat I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full jcourage now as always Christ kwill be honored in my body, lwhether by life or by death. 21 For to me mto live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 nI am hard pressed between the two. My desire is oto depart and pbe with Christ, for that is far better

....   and here's another lovely one (There are many, many passages from Paul about life and death!)

37 No, in all these things we are more than yconquerors through zhim who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 2:35 PM

Thanks Milford.  Smile

I guess I'm lost on Edwin's comment.

Edwin Bowden:

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 5:48 PM

Why are you so interested in Hell?  Are you planning a trip?  Smile

I understand that it operates on the Raid Roach Motel principle (the bug killer)—you can check in, but you can't check out. Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 4:50 AM

George Somsel:
I understand that it operates on the Raid Roach Motel principle (the bug killer)—you can check in, but you can't check out. Wink

hmmm, I understood that it operated like "Hotel California" where "You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave!" Wink

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 5:45 AM

tom:

George Somsel:

hmmm, I understood that it operated like "Hotel California" where "You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave!" Wink

Same principle.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 11:00 AM

George Somsel:

tom:

George Somsel:

Same principle.

Not quite. Your version is missing the pun: "check out" is a euphemism for "die."

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 29 2013 4:18 AM

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

tom:

George Somsel:

Same principle.

Not quite. Your version is missing the pun: "check out" is a euphemism for "die."

Strange how our minds work based on expectation. Read the OP as "check-in" until you call attention to the pun 

Posts 1597
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 29 2013 5:36 AM

I just ran into a wonderful little book.  Over 50 years ago Jaroslav Pelikan gave a set of lectures on early Christian views of Death, highlighting five different early christian figures. For better or worse, these are print versions of lectures, so there are no footnotes, but while that limits its research usefulness, it is still a nice introduction to the variety of early christian thought by a top notch historian...

Jaroslav Pelikan - The Shape of Death, 1961, Abingdon Press (from lectures at Knox in Toronto in Sept of 1959)

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 29 2013 6:08 AM

Thanks, Ken, for the pleasant "reminder" of Pelikan's book!              I used to own it and really appreciated it!            A few years ago I gave that and most of my "print" books to one of our Canadian Seminaries .........            Got a nice receipt for income tax credit!            *smile*

Psalm 29:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 29 2013 6:24 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thank you for this suggestion--have just ordered it.

Posts 1
Martha J. Richert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2019 8:33 AM

Why don't Christians simply agree to disagree on the subject of eternal torture?  Martha Richert

Posts 11
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2019 8:59 AM

Thanks Mark! I'm always amazed at how helpful your comments are (I discovered Fudge's book in my L library as a result). 

Posts 10039
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2019 9:43 AM

This is an older thread, by in the unlikely event you're interested, one of the mentioned Bernstein volumes appears to have been expanded:

https://www.amazon.com/Hell-Its-Rivals-Retribution-Christians-ebook/dp/B07176Q7X2 

Posts 17877
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2019 4:22 PM

Martha J. Richert:

Why don't Christians simply agree to disagree on the subject of eternal torture?  Martha Richert

Welcome Big Smile to the Logos Forums that primarily focuses discussion on Faithlife Corporation stuff: Forum Guidelines

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

Since the Forum Guidelines were posted in Jan 2010, Faithlife Corporation created Faithlife web site => https://faithlife.com/ and Christian Discourse (quit working so time ago) so Christian Debate was created => https://www.christiandiscourse.net/ where question "Why don't Christians simply agree to disagree on the subject of eternal torture?" could be discussed. Recommend reading => 23 Minutes in Hell: One Man's Story About What He Saw, Heard, and Felt in That Place of Torment

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions; have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn.

Faithlife ebooks (Vyrso replacement) currently has 264 results for Hell => https://ebooks.faithlife.com/search?query=hell&sortBy=Savings&limit=60&page=1&filters=status-live_Status&ownership=unowned (URL includes ownership filter to exclude ebooks already owned)

Logos.com offers 331 resources about Hell => https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=hell&Status=Live&unlocked=no (URL includes older way to exclude resources already owned)

One way to filter Logos/Verbum library for resources (includes ebooks) about Hell is:

(subj:hell OR title:hell) -subj:(hella,helle,helli) -title:(hella,helle,helli)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6228
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2019 6:06 PM

Martha J. Richert:

Because then Christians would be cowards in the eyes of God. Heaven and Hell is a salvation issue. You can’t simply dismiss either one with a “let’s agree to disagree.”

Anyway, in either case, the forums are to discuss software and Faithlife products not “Theology.” 👍😁👌 Wow it’s been 6 years since this was posted! Time sure flies!!!

DAL

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS