1 step forward, 2 steps back

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1454
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 12:07 PM

I experienced Logos 6 slow scrolling with Windows 8 on my high end i7 pc, but after the last update I dont have any issues anymore :)

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 74
Michael R. Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 12:54 PM

It's odd that you would characterize the forums this way, Dan. As Jeffrey noted above, the forums are the first place Logos tells people to go for support but why is that the case if Logos staff rarely join in? 

Posts 6
M. G. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 1:22 PM

Preface: Brand new user, purchased 5 and then 31 days later received the 6 update.  (different complaint there in sales.)

From a technical point point I've seen issues with the software.  Mostly hangups when opening layouts or opening new library materials.  It takes 9 to 15 seconds to respond to the command to a new layout.  In some cases the window completely re-sizes, ghosts an image of a duplicate window and then finally pops back to normal.  
I've seen some slow response with media.  

I'm running two systems, one being a lower powered windows 8.1 tablet the other is my ultrabook with an i7 processor with 8 gigs of ram (only used for school no other software on-board).  I expect the bad performance on my tablet but I'm getting the same experience on the ultrabook.  

The problems occur mostly as hiccups.

As a new user I like the product but I do find it wanting.  I'm only posting to confirm the problem with the hopes of an update do the road.  

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 1:47 PM

We have been told in the past not every thread gets attention from Logos personal.

We are told in the Logos.com pages:

Step 4: Make a Report
  1. Visit the Logos 5 Forum.
  2. Click on "Write a New Post".
  3. Put "Bug", "Crash" or "Hang" (Freezing) in the title.
  4. Enter a description of what you were doing when the bug or crash occurred.
  5. Attach your log files from Step 3 using the  media button.
  6. Then "Post" your bug report.
    • The Development and Support teams monitor these forums and will be in touch with you as possible. Including "Crash" in the subject will improve visibility.
    • If a Support Technician requested your logs, skip this step and email your logs to that Technician.

So if they see crash bug or hang in the title.. yes it will get someones attention right away. Other times it is going to take a while and may even get missed if it does not generate a dialogue. In the forums marked suggestion I would certainly hope they all get read. But just because it gets placed on the forum is no guarantee it will be seen by a Logos person and rarely was a poor choice of words but it is true not everyone is read by a Logos employee. The forums are designed not only to get official help but help from other users as well as official announcements.

-Dan

Posts 205
Jeffrey S. Robison | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 2:04 PM

Faithlifers (Logos Employees) Martin Potter helped to fix my most recent  issue and Bradley Grainger  responded and interacted even though he was on vacation. Thanks to both.

Posts 74
Michael R. Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 2:07 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. That makes much more sense. I'm not familiar with the "Logos.com pages" that you mentioned so I guess I'll have to do some digging. 

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 6:52 PM

Look, folks, seems my post has caused the friction and was intended in the best and kindest of ways.

Someone linked to a post of mine from a long time ago, ( a year or two perhaps! )
What I said then, I intended.

FWIW to folks here , constructive criticism helps things get better.
Logos contacted me, i was correct, it wasn't my machine but a logos issue and, one that took time to work through- which they did, to their credit.
Some issue's did take until version 5 to fix, other are fixed in 6 and, there are the normal pains now with rolling out a new version/platform.

All of that said, and I'm glad to have the Library and software to access it.

I also feel I am quite correct in saying Logos 6 for Mac isn't going to run on OS X the same way it would if it was written as a native OS X app.
The owner of the company has explained, very succinctly , why it is this way.
Once he did so, it made sense and, I understand it.
As I stated, feature Parity we have or, very, very close and the software should work for all.

For those with specific issues, those can be fixed, just call tech support- done, fixed, your back to work pretty quickly.

Just do not expect Logos act just as native OS X apps as far as efficiency is concerned. Logos is going to use more resources from your Mac that native written apps, no matter the commonly used native apps.

There is nothing wrong with me saying this, its simply the truth of the matter, Its not a dig, its not a complaint, it was intended to help by reminding us to have realistic expectations instead of false ones.

Have a blessed day.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 9:00 PM

God bless you Fr. Charles I agree with most of what you say. I just don't think Logos will ever produce kittens or even purr. I have been more than a little gruff over past few days after reading vitriolic attacks on Logos for an unfortunate situation. I attempt to remain calm and offer a calming logical response but it does not always happen.

-Dan

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 11:09 PM

Michael R. Jones:

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. That makes much more sense. I'm not familiar with the "Logos.com pages" that you mentioned so I guess I'll have to do some digging. 

Support pages => https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/report-problem and => https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/problem also include links to Logos Logging Utility.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2542
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 11:57 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

AFAIK, Logos contains no code to change permissions. (Which is why it crashes when they're wrong, instead of fixing them. We could consider adding this as a future enhancement.) ...

We have had (and will continue to have) a number of Mac-only crashes and a number of Windows-only crashes. This is just the nature of cross-platform development; the operating systems function differently and sometimes a problem only manifests on one OS. We don't consider this a parity issue, just a regular old "bug".

OT: It's difficult, but ideally all the crash vectors should be eradicated, or logged and beamed back to Seattle.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 3:05 AM

Chiming in here:

My desktop is a PC.  My laptop is a Mac

Yesterday I finally installed all the updates for my Mac.  It took over an hour to download (Remember, (I'm using the same internet server as my PC) and practically over night to index.  I cannot believe how slow it is, and my Mac's hardware is running high performance (I even had 16 gigs of extra RAM installed just for Logos)

So, I have to agree that something is definitely wrong there, because while my PC is having plenty of its own problems with L6, my Mac makes me not want to use it for Logos!

(Not directed at anyone in particular here but...)  I just think it is high time for people to stop tongue lashing individuals for reporting problems.  The original poster was respectful and looking for a solution. I agree that there are some who Logos bash, but come on now, give people with a legitimate problem and a respectful post a break already!  Nothing is more frustrating than not being able to work because of computer problems.  Those of you who are not experiencing problems...AWESOME!   But don't try to make others feel like they are a horrible person for posting their frustration.  I feel more time is spent arguing on this board about an individual reporting a problem than there is in actually solving the problem. My .02...for what it's worth!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 3:52 AM

Cynthia in Florida:

Yesterday I finally installed all the updates for my Mac.  It took over an hour to download (Remember, (I'm using the same internet server as my PC) and practically over night to index.  I cannot believe how slow it is, and my Mac's hardware is running high performance (I even had 16 gigs of extra RAM installed just for Logos)

So, I have to agree that something is definitely wrong there, because while my PC is having plenty of its own problems with L6, my Mac makes me not want to use it for Logos!

What specific problems did you have after your Mac completed indexing? 

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 4:19 AM

Jack Caviness:

Cynthia in Florida:

What specific problems did you have after your Mac completed indexing? 

My Mac is VERY slow in performing.  It lags and takes quite some time to follow a command.  I didn't have that problem with Logos 5.

I am not very tech savvy when it comes to my Mac, so fiddling with it is out for me.  I will absolutely have to call for help. 

However, for the most part, I have had to spend COUNTLESS hours working on my PC.  Among other things, I had my indexing working, not working, working, not working, etc...and had some people on the board help (including someone who works for FL who told me to call CS.)  I called and was told someone would get back to me. There were 75 people ahead of me for CS).  I sent logs, never heard back.  I stated something on here and had someone contact me, so I sent a punch list of problems over to Logos to a guy names Steve (or Stephen, can't remember) and no one has gotten back to me.  My index is currently working, but it is hit or miss. 

Honestly, I need to get my PC working properly before I can even THINK of messing around with my Mac.

Cynthia

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 4:24 AM

PS: As I speak...my indexing on my PC has been stuck at 89% for about 20 minutes.  THAT is what I am dealing with constantly.

It is frustrating, and I guess I wrote my post above because unless someone is dealing with that while trying to get work done, one really can't understand the level of angst experienced by a frustrated user.  I swear sometimes it makes me just want to go back to my paper books!

Cynthia

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 5:12 AM

Cynthia in Florida:
It is frustrating, and I guess I wrote my post above because unless someone is dealing with that while trying to get work done, one really can't understand the level of angst experienced by a frustrated user.  I swear sometimes it makes me just want to go back to my paper books!

Cynthia, I do understand your frustration. I am just seeking someway to assist you. Perhaps, you can start a new thread with logs. Just be sure to prefix the thread title with "BUG:". Some of the more technically competent members of this forum should be able to provide some insight into your problems.

My Mac does not break any speed records with L6, but for me the speed is acceptable. I do realize that perceptions of speed vary with each individual. What is acceptable to me may be excruciating to someone else Geeked

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 5:20 AM

Jack Caviness:

Cynthia in Florida:

Cynthia, I do understand your frustration. I am just seeking someway to assist you. Perhaps, you can start a new thread with logs. Just be sure to prefix the thread title with "BUG:". Some of the more technically competent members of this forum should be able to provide some insight into your problems.

My Mac does not break any speed records with L6, but for me the speed is acceptable. I do realize that perceptions of speed vary with each individual. What is acceptable to me may be excruciating to someone else Geeked

I know you are, and I am sorry...if I came off as unappreciative, that wasn't my intent.  I was speaking in generalities.  The thing is, I HAVE already uploaded logs.  I HAVE already created new threads.  I was told I needed help beyond what I am getting here..and I can't seem to get help at CS.  THAT'S where I am frustrated.  I have sent logs to FL twice now...I waited because the second set was sent the Thursday before the crash.  I am tired of waiting, so now I have to get back on the phone for a THIRD time now...and my hopes of getting these issues fixed is waning.  I have spent so much of my own personal time trying to fix it, and I just don't know enough, nor do I have the time, to go any further without help!

Again, thank you for your kind offer to help.

Cynthia

Posts 2305
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 5:35 AM

using 2 MBPs one a 2012 and the other a 2008. I have been monitoring memory usage and determined that after indexing L6 does not give the memory back. So if L6 indexes I usually restart the MBPs to restore RAM. This has improved L6 performance on my Macs. Perhaps they should review memory leaks with the indexing process and the new 64 bit programming.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 5:52 AM

John Fidel:

using 2 MBPs one a 2012 and the other a 2008. I have been monitoring memory usage and determined that after indexing L6 does not give the memory back. So if L6 indexes I usually restart the MBPs to restore RAM. This has improved L6 performance on my Macs. Perhaps they should review memory leaks with the indexing process and the new 64 bit programming.

Hmmm...very interesting.  I'll check that out!

Cynthia

Posts 2542
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 10:24 AM

John Fidel:

Hi John, did you report the memory leak to Logos/FL?

Posts 74
Michael R. Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 11:25 AM

John, I had that same problem but simply quitting and restarting Logos solved the RAM problem. The problem still needs to be addressed, especially given how slow L6 has been, but if that works for you, too, then maybe you won't have to reboot every time.

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS