1 step forward, 2 steps back

Page 4 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 78 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 11:38 AM

I knew the memory leak problem had existed in 5 earlier but I thought it had been stopped. I am very sorry to hear of these issues For myself Verbum 6 radically increased the speed of indexing. I had a lot of downloading issues, but downloads seem quicker and have had no problems since 6.0a and the terminal command. That said I have had only smaller downloads/updates in the past while, the real download test will be when a major update happens... One thing i must stress to all mac users Apple's Disk Utility should be run regularly in some cases permission errors have caused all sort of problems with Logos. 

-Dan

Posts 74
Michael R. Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 12:01 PM

Dan, purring like a kitten would be nice, but I'd just be satisfied with it working. I'd like to be able to open it and it work the first time, not have to try a half-dozen times before it opens. I'd just like to be able to click the library icon and my library actually appear without it crashing, or without having to wait 1-4 minutes. I'd be satisfied with that and I don't think that's too much to ask. you say you've grown gruff, imagine how gruff those of us with similar problems have grown, only to be accused of being haters and complainers, etc. simply for pointing out our problems.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 12:21 PM

Michael R. Jones:
I don't think that's too much to ask. you say you've grown gruff, imagine how gruff those of us with similar problems have grown, only to be accused of being haters and complainers, etc. simply for pointing out our problems.

You rightly are upset. It baffles me that you and others are experiencing such problems when myself with a slightly older machine with only 8GB of memory, am never having issues like you and others are. It is not because I am blest or even a computer genius. I hope every user can have a good experience. I do not think most people commenting here are haters (there is the occasional user coming along that might be called that but I usually try to ignore those posts). Nebulous complaints are not nearly as helpful as detailed information on problems. Indeed I know some users who will not even attempt to offer help unless a log file is included. You have genuine and serious problems. My Verbum starts up and the home page is loaded in under a minute and a half. Crashing on start up has not happened recently in my memory. I just clicked my Library but and it opened in under 4 seconds (it should be immediate but it is not unacceptable to me). Have you run Apple's Disk Utility? Sometimes errors on the drive or permission issues can cause serious problems.

-Dan

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 6:57 PM

Lankford Oxendine:
Thanks KS4J for you helpful comments concerning performance issues.  As this thread has been somewhat hijacked with talks about stability, crashes, parity, complainers, etc.,  my purpose in starting this thread was to provide feedback and hopefully encourage Logos to keeping making strides in the performance department (especially for Macs).  Once again, on my Mac, Logos 6 is generally slower in just about all interface/UI tasks than Logos 5 and reminds me of how Logos 4 performed.  I wonder if a clean install would help.  I installed Logos 6 over 5 but wonder if anyone thinks that a wipe and fresh Logos 6 install would help with the sluggishness?

One scenario for fresh install is part of revitalizing SSD => Solid State Disk Reconditioning

Earlier performance comments using OS X 10.10.1 were  done using a recent fresh Logos 6.0a installation on a new SSD.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 8:20 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
One scenario for fresh install is part of revitalizing SSD => Solid State Disk Reconditioning

KS4J,

This is a link to a 4 year old post. Windows XP was still supported then! Methuselah was still alive! SSD's were in their 1st generation. I don't believe this info is relevant any longer.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 9:25 PM

toughski:
I don't believe this info is relevant any longer.

June 2014 Blog => http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20140621_0907-SSD-recondition.html

Windows 8 SSD (turn off defrag) => http://www.outsidethebox.ms/why-windows-8-defragments-your-ssd-and-how-you-can-avoid-this/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 5:50 AM

I'm not having much trouble these days. Logos does use about 140% of processor to load logos but settles in after that. Still don't like that Logos loads something at boot sequence when starting computer but, thats not going to change if memory serves me well. Like Dan, my older machine runs Logos "ok". Not fast, but ok.

I did have a recent issue and had to call tech support and got it fixed quickly.
On follow up, I got the piece below from Tach support which, O hope is helpful to others with older machines or, machines with two cores instead of four or more.

Grace and Peace.

As I mentioned, there are some minor tweaks we can make which might be helpful, explained in this article: www.logos.com/optimize.

Hopefully that will have some impact, but reducing the number of tasks Logos is running in the background. Ultimately though, as Logos 6 has gone to 64 bit, it’s enabled us to take greater advantage of memory, but also greater advantage of current generation processing and that translates to more individual background tasks, which is where your 2 core CPU is going to bottleneck.

It’s a difficult thing to balance, as we want to be more efficient for as many users as possible. More tasks at a time is more efficient if you have enough cores to process those tasks. But, in your case, with fewer cores, they will need t work harder to process the same tasks that a new CPU with 4 or 8 cores, and this will be evidenced pretty clearly as high cpu usage, more heat/fan speed, and at a certain limit, the tasks will be slower.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 5:57 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
It’s a difficult thing to balance, as we want to be more efficient for as many users as possible. More tasks at a time is more efficient if you have enough cores to process those tasks. But, in your case, with fewer cores, they will need t work harder to process the same tasks that a new CPU with 4 or 8 cores, and this will be evidenced pretty clearly as high cpu usage, more heat/fan speed, and at a certain limit, the tasks will be slower.

can't this be automated? L6 checking what processor/how many cores are available and choosing the workflow accordingly?

Posts 797
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 9:37 AM

Lankford Oxendine:

Here are some examples of where I'm seeing the sluggishness in Logos 6 as compared to Logos 5.

1.  Scrolling

2.  Opening books

3.  Right click menus

4.  Highlighting text w/ Sympathetic highlighting turned on

All of the above were faster in Logos 5.

I experience these same things using WIN 6.0a; 6.0.1.0032 (HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC; Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) SP1; I7-2670QM; 8GB of memory).  

I have a 24 meg zip file that contains two videos that illustrate the scrolling problem and also my Logos.log and cef.log files.  It would not attached to this post - Please provide an email address that I can send it to. File "Logos.zip" shared on Dropbox at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mde1hqheku0ab0a/Logos.zip?dl=0.

I have the same delay experiences illustrated in the videos using the wheel on my mouse and also clicking on the scroll bar on the right side of the resource panels.

My Procedure:

• booted computer
  • waited for activity to settle down
  • Launched Jing
  • launched Logos (it seems to take a lot longer to display the open resources after the Logos window frame is displayed than it used to with Logos 5 - not recorded in these videos)
  • Waited for activity to settle down
  • Started recording with Jing
  • Demo'd problem
  • Saved file "Slow_Response-A.swf" when time ran out (using free Jing - limit of 5 minutes)
  • Restarted Jing and continued demo
  • Saved file "Slow_Response-B.swf" when I thought enough was demo'd.
  • Exited Logos
  • Saved videos and logs to ZIP files

Each time I move the pointer up to the next/previous verse arrows I clicked the mouse and then move the pointer down from the arrow.

The first video illustrates the more common delay problems, mostly with the NIrV in the video (but many different resources in real life usage).

The second video (started right after saving the first video) illustrates the more severe problems of "Not Responding" and black boxes displayed during delay.

The symptoms act like the computer or Logos application are busy with lots of activity.

Sometimes (I'm not sure) it seems like the problems get worse over time (as hinted by the second video being more severe compared to the first), as if a stack or history table/file was filling up or stray processes were not closing when finished.

Closing and relaunching Logos rarely seems to help reduce the problem.  Same with rebooting the computer.

The only time I remember having similar problems in Logos 5 were when the computer was busy with a download or a resource intensive process was running.

Posts 1932
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 10:06 AM

Tim Hensler:
I have a 24 meg zip file that contains two videos that illustrate the scrolling problem and also my Logos.log and cef.log files.  It would not attached to this post - Please provide an email address that I can send it to.

Do you have someplace where you can upload your videos and then provide links in this thread? E.g. a public dropbox location or similar? Emailing 24MB might be problematic, too.

Donnie

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 10:33 AM

He could drop box them and then share the link to send it to Logos tech.

-Dan

Posts 797
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 10:44 AM

Thank you Donnie and Dan for the simple solution - File "Logos.zip" shared on Dropbox at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mde1hqheku0ab0a/Logos.zip?dl=0.  Let me know if that doesn't work.

Posts 797
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 9:01 PM

See https://community.logos.com/forums/t/97138.aspx for more information on symptoms I described above.  Culprit seems to be having RI Bible open (even if it is not linked to other resources, whether Logos is operating online or offline).

Posts 14
Richard Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 5:52 PM

I just loaded up a Factbook page, and the skips and lags in scrolling are the worst yet. I thought to see how Logos might be impacting resources, so I opened my Mac's Activity Monitor over the top of L6, and my scrolling of L6 under the Activity Monitor was perfect! I moved Activity Monitor to a different Desktop, and my scrolling became terrible again. But, when moved back into the Desktop that has my L6 running, L6 scrolls like a champ. What might this be?

Posts 275
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 7:34 AM

Note: The Windows SSD article has been updated since another article from an MS employee came out explaining what is really going on with fragmentation and SSDs on Windows. It's worth reading this before following any of these steps.

Posts 1932
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 11:33 AM

The latest on Windows and SSDs:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

from an MS employee who spoke with the folks who write that part of Windows...

Donnie

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 10:15 AM

See the Screencast link below. Takes 10 seconds to open a Bible and almost 8 seconds to populate the right click menu.  

http://www.screencast.com/t/BmCIDjQo

My specs:

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 11:20 AM

JH:

See the Screencast link below. Takes 10 seconds to open a Bible and almost 8 seconds to populate the right click menu.  

http://www.screencast.com/t/BmCIDjQo

My specs:

Are you running a HDD or SSD? I am on a SSD opening the Bible takes me 2.5 seconds but right click time is comparable to yours, which i fully admit is too slow. It seemed to me that a windows user also stated the right click population was slower than 5 as well though.

-Dan

Posts 275
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 10:48 PM

I'm on Windows with a standard HD (7200rpm) and right click is instantaneous. Opening the ESV from the shortcut bar takes about 1 second for me. Computer has an i7, 8GB, and 64bit Logos 6. I wonder if the hard drive indicator is pegged solid when this happens to people?

Page 4 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS