Problems Transferring to New PC

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 16 2010 9:00 AM

Hi All

I have just finished installing Logos 4 on a new Notebook so that I have the power to use the new functions and handle indexing etc. Having installed the latest Beta and running a scan on an external hard drive that has a copy of all my resources I seem to have three files missing. The totals are:

Old System - 2,648

New System - 2,645

As far as I can tell all of the downloading and re-indexing has completed, all of my LLS 2 files seem to be there as do my most recent pre pubs. If this was Logos 3 I would run a Bibliography on both systems and compare the outputs but I have no idea how I can do this in Logos 4.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 10:16 AM

Graham,

Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this in Logos 4. It might be that the Beta has conflicts with some of the resources and they have not been scanned in. If so, that would be corrected eventually.

Have you tried to 'Update Resources' through the command bar? If you type that in and hit enter you should see a notation in the upper right corner near the sync icon that Logos is looking for updated resources. This would force Logos to find and download your missing resources, unless what I said about the beta is the case. (This takes soem tiem to accomplish, so be patient).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1365
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 10:19 AM

Hi Graham,

I ran into a similar situation several weeks ago.  It turned out that (for me at least, Scholars library) some of the Lexham resources have been renamed/consolidated, resulting in a reduced resource count.

So if you have some of the Lexham resources, compare them on your old and new computers to see if that leads you to what's missing or causing the change in resource count.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 10:42 AM

Mark A. Smith:
Have you tried to 'Update Resources' through the command bar?

Hi Mark

Was not aware of that command, just tried it and nothing seems to have changed...

God Bless

Graham

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 10:52 AM

Peter may have pointed out the issue or it may be beta related. The fact that Logos seems to think you have all your resources suggests that you do, but you just don't understand why the count is different than it was.

Check the wiki for more information on available commands: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Commands

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 10:55 AM

Graham,

I encountered the same thing and, like you, my laptop is faster than my desktop. My count varied from my L4 beta laptop (minus 8) to my L4 desktop (up 8) resources. When I discovered the discrepancy, I was about to backup my Logos 4 resources and other particulars on my desktop anyway.

Since I couldn't figure out which 8 resources were missing, I just copied my desktop's L4 resource directory over to the same on my laptop. Since I use a freebie Explorer plugin for file management which gives me the option when it finds duplicates to either skip, overwrite all or overwrite only older files, it solved my missing resources dilemma speedily - it only copied the 8 missing files. Never did figure out which 8 resources I missing beyond the 1 I happened to be reading and couldn't access on my laptop after one of the beta installs.

I've never had a count discrepancy betwixt the twain of 'em since.

Debra

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:02 AM

DWBouey:
I just copied my desktop's L4 resource directory over to the same on my laptop.

Please do NOT do this with a beta installation.

Here are Bradley Grainger's warnings:

Do not share resources or Data folders between the stable Logos 4 and the Logos 4 Beta release; the format of data files and (some) resources in Logos 4 Beta may have changed, making them unreadable by Logos 4.

Some documents in Logos 4 Beta have changed their internal formats since the release of Logos 4; these documents will not be synced to your Logos 4 installation. The new types of documents that will be added to Logos 4 Beta will also not be synced. However, existing document types that haven’t changed their internal formats will continue to sync between Logos 4 and Logos 4 Beta.

You can find the rest here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8883.aspx

Besides the warning, this indicates your resource counts may differ between a normal 4.0 and a beta 4.0 installation.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:06 AM

Mark A. Smith:

Peter may have pointed out the issue or it may be beta related. The fact that Logos seems to think you have all your resources suggests that you do, but you just don't understand why the count is different than it was.

Mark,

I actually was missing 8 resources on my laptop with L4 beta installed. None were attributed to the interlinear setup since I had those, both integrated and the ones which I have to open). I wasn't really paying attention to the resource count between my desktop and laptop ... 'til a book I was in the midst of reading was inaccessible post-beta install. It was still available in my desktop L4, however. That's when I started comparing resource counts and investigating further.

I've never figured out which other 7 resources were missing between my desktop L4 install and my laptop with the L4B install, except I'd already figured out it wasn't any of the interlinears.

Debra

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:10 AM

Mark A. Smith:
Do not share resources or Data folders between the stable Logos 4 and the Logos 4 Beta release; the format of data files and (some) resources in Logos 4 Beta may have changed, making them unreadable by Logos 4.

Mark,

I only copied resources over to the L4B resource folder on my laptop, not all of the folders, just the resources which are contained therein. Only the 8 missing copied over.

That notwithstanding, my bad, need to change my tag, I run the beta on both my desktop and my laptop. I installed the beta on my desktop before backup. Something I generally do after a new beta drop runs fairly stably on my laptop, taking into account known issues and those reported here on the forum. Smile

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:14 AM

FWIW: I have 2987 resources unhidden in Logos 4.0a SR-3 and 2985 in Logos 4.0b Beta 3.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1365
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:17 AM

FYI - I figured out the discrepancies between my two machines the old fashioned way -- I opened up the Library display on both machines, made sure they both displayed the same number of lines, and then started doing Page-Downs on both machines and making note of the differences between the two.

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:23 AM

Mark A. Smith:

FWIW: I have 2987 resources unhidden in Logos 4.0a SR-3 and 2985 in Logos 4.0b Beta 3.

A footnote: my 8 missing resources were *.lbxlls files -  *.lbxlls and *.logos4 file counts indicated I had 8 more *.lbxlls files on my desktop backup than I did in my laptop's resource directory ... beyond the one I knew about, I just couldn't figure out which other 7 I was missing, but none were *.logos4 resources, go figure?

To be clear, my backup/8 file copy over to laptop was from beta to beta (the second beta drop, if memory serves).

Debra

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:25 AM

DWBouey:
my backup/8 file copy over to laptop was from beta to beta

That would be fine, or non-beta to non-beta. Graham appears to be going from non-beta to beta, therefore the warning.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:25 AM

PeterLi:

FYI - I figured out the discrepancies between my two machines the old fashioned way -- I opened up the Library display on both machines, made sure they both displayed the same number of lines, and then started doing Page-Downs on both machines and making note of the differences between the two.

To me, this says we either need more / more accurate help from L4 to ensure all  our resources (& no more) are present (i.e., manage our library), or we need better tools to do so.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:28 AM

PeterLi:

Wow! I "cheated" and ran counts between the *.lbxlls and *.logos4 resource files on both machine installs. There was the irony, even with the beta finally installed on my desktop, too, I still came up 8 resources short on my laptop.

P.S. Thanks, Mark!

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:30 AM

PeterLi:
some of the Lexham resources have been renamed/consolidated, resulting in a reduced resource count.

Hi Peter

Thanks, that was the correct explanation creating a collection for Lexham gives:

19 Resources on my Old System

16 Resources on my New System

Which means that I am pretty much up and running from a Logos perspective, just a few more products to sort out...

God Bless

Graham

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:37 AM

Mark A. Smith:

DWBouey:
my backup/8 file copy over to laptop was from beta to beta

That would be fine, or non-beta to non-beta. Graham appears to be going from non-beta to beta, therefore the warning.

Thanks, Mark. I was far from clear about what I was copying from/to. When the first beta dropped, I installed it only on my laptop since it's the speedier of the two by a reasonable margin and I could more easily do a complete clean L4 install/index if the worst happened. Once the beta drops run stably on my laptop, I install on my desktop, too, since by then I'm spoiled to some of the beta features. Smile

Debra

Posts 1365
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 12:08 PM

I think several of the Lexham resources became obsolete; I don't use them much so I didn't pay much attention as to the reason.  You can do a search on these forums for "Lexham".

Posts 25672
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 3:03 AM

For obsolete resources to delete see http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9797/78251.aspx

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25672
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 3:13 AM

DWBouey:
Since I couldn't figure out which 8 resources were missing, I just copied my desktop's L4 resource directory over to the same on my laptop.

Copying is likely to promulgate obsolete/unwanted resources between your systems because Explorer/plugins don't know anything about Logos files. It is better to use the scan command in the system that is missing resources eg.

• type scan <other resource folder> in the Command bar
  • restart L4

It will ignore obsolete files and initiate an index.

Note: you can use a network path or put them onto a removable drive.

Did your system index after the copy?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS