Page 9 of 15 (298 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last »
This post has 297 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 1768
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 9:52 PM

Randy W. Sims:

I think it would have been a nicer spin if they had called it a membership instead of rental...

Become a member of the exclusive Logos Now family today and get advance access to new features as they are being developed. Get exclusive use of new tools and datasets that others won't see for months or year to come, until the next official release of Logos Bible Software. Join us today, add your feedback, and become a member of the exclusive team that shapes the next version of Logos. And for an extra $1.99 a month get on the cutting edge with access to nightly builds! It's all yours if you act right now! Hurry before this limited time membership expires! Live the future of Logos NOW!!!

We are describing it as a membership; we've just not made that the central message. But it'll become more important over time.

Posts 1768
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 10:04 PM

mike:

For $8.99/month that's a lot of money for small contents I'm getting.

Too expensive for offers that's so small that we have already. Not very entertaining I would say.

For Logos' MVPs and believers.. yes, they'll buy everything blindly, because they hang out here everyday. But for NORMAL people.. NO.

We already have regular Logos program, when the heck do we use Logos Now? I guess when we don't have our normal computer. But to justify $8.99 isn't enough for the content they're offering.

$3.99 .. maybe. But not $8.99.

Lucky Logos don't have a competition, soon, just like streaming music industry, everyone will price their product accordingly.

Right now, Logos is gouging the price because there no competition.. (with less contents).

(I smell so many Logos' cheerleaders), just be careful with what you read here as a regular joe person.

If you're not compelled yet, that's fine. Give us time. We have a lot more planned. (See Bob's comments earlier.)

There's room for different opinions on this. Others like the value, even seemingly "normal" people. :)

James Taylor:
For $8.99 a month? Count me in! Thank you Faithlife, this looks very good. Can't wait to take my first test ride on these new features. (indexing now... #Can'tWaitToGetAnSSD) and with the free trial month, this is a NO BRAINER!

Sean:
$9 a month for new cool features in Logos doesn't seem much at all, and I'm speaking as a poor missionary.

Nathan Parker:
Actually Logos Now is quite low cost compared to what I was going to tell him I was interested in paying. :-)

Posts 1809
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 10:59 PM

Also a launch day without any video explanation/video promo?

What's up with that?

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 11:02 PM

mike:

Also a launch day without any video explanation/video promo?

What's up with that?

Hi Mike,

There is a brief video promo here.

Blessings,

Smile

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 11:03 PM

mike:

For Logos' MVPs and believers.. yes, they'll buy everything blindly, because they hang out here everyday. But for NORMAL people.. NO.

There is no justification for being insulting. A number of MVP's are retirees on limited income who watch carefully what they purchase. There is no causal relationship between their personal purchases and their assisting in the forums ... although occasionally a question brings up an interesting resource.  If you prefer not to receive help from those willing and able to learn the system, just note it in the first line of your posts. I'm sure we'll be cooperative. Stick out tongue

PS. Besides being on the forum today I have  run some errands, helped a grandchild with college plans, read from Uncle Dave's Cow And Other Whole Animals My Freezer has Known (required reading if your grew up on a cattle ranch ... and have not lived on one for 50 years so your information may be a bit dated),  read from Jewish Rhetorics: History, Theory, Practice to clarify some questions of exegetical methods, contacted a friend in Virginia regarding a hike to see wild flowers in August, and communicated with my son regarding my surprise a particular nephew doesn't enjoy recreational math. Sounds like NORMAL people to me.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 11:20 PM

Phil Gons:

Right now, there's nothing to gain by subscribing to both.

There is when you are answering questions for people who may be on either of the products and you want to have screenshots that match the OP's.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3636
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 11:24 PM

MJ. Smith:

mike:

There is no justification for being insulting.

What should we call those who support LOGOS through thick or thin? You may be NORMAL, but the rest of the description fits. Perhaps it would have been better to say the AVERAGE LOGOS USER  or TYPICAL LOGOS USER rather than NORMAL. But it has been clear over the years that are some who are strong supporters of everything FAITHLIFE (nee LOGOS).  The real problem is not what do we call you - but that your interest in LOGOS is different (some would say "way different") than many of us that use LOGOS' tools.  

I still have not made up my mind to jump on the LOGOS NOW bandwagon.  Why do I need propositional outlines (OT or NT)?  That is what good exegesis is for.  Why do I need a concordance for Calvin's or Luther's work? Maybe Wesley (if there was much to be found), but even then none of these men deserve the kind of attention I should be giving to the Word of God. I may decide to jump in, but for now I am still a couple of months away from paying off my previous purchases.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1049
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 11:35 PM

Phil Gons:

Sean:
My question as a systematic theologian is: does it have any features that will benefit me? As it is I don't use 90% of the search & Bible study features I've gotten from L4-6, and I don't particularly feel the need for more. What I do use are the many specific resources related to my field. Does Logos Now have anything to offer in that direction, or will it in the future?

Great question. As a PhD (ABD) in Theology with a love for systematic and historical theology, I'm passionate about seeing Logos become a better tool for theological study, not just for exegetical study. And I'm happy to report that we have some pretty cool things in the works for future releases that'll be right up your alley. In particular, there's a new guide section aimed at drawing out the riches of your systematics library.

In this release, the Concordance tool may prove useful for you. You can do some neat analysis of Calvin's Institutes, for example, to see what words he uses most in particular sections. A future version of Concordance will allow you to see everything Calvin cited, sorted by frequency. I see Concordance have broad use for exegetes, theologians, historians, and others.

If you have particular feature ideas, I'd love to hear them. Feel free to reach out to me at phil@faithlife.com.

Thanks for posting this! I look forward to seeing what you roll out in the next few months/years.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 1768
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 11:36 PM

MJ. Smith:

Phil Gons:

Right now, there's nothing to gain by subscribing to both.

There is when you are answering questions for people who may be on either of the products and you want to have screenshots that match the OP's.

Fair enough. We can probably arrange something for those who regularly assist others here on the forums.

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 11:58 PM

Floyd Johnson:

What should we call those who support LOGOS through thick or thin? ...

I still have not made up my mind to jump on the LOGOS NOW bandwagon.  Why do I need propositional outlines (OT or NT)?  That is what good exegesis is for.  Why do I need a concordance for Calvin's or Luther's work? Maybe Wesley (if there was much to be found), but even then none of these men deserve the kind of attention I should be giving to the Word of God. I may decide to jump in, but for now I am still a couple of months away from paying off my previous purchases.  

If you've read my posts, I've not encouraged or discouraged anyone from Logos Now - I've taken the position that one can safely do nothing and that I understand why some would welcome it. My personal opinion is if you have to ask "why do I need ..." the chances are that you don't need it.

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 12:28 AM

I think I read somewhere there were coupon codes with the subscription: where are they?

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 12:41 AM

Francis:

I think I read somewhere there were coupon codes with the subscription: where are they?

The only thing I have seen which might relate to this is the fourth point below

Phil Gons:

What do you get with Logos Now?

1. A growing library of data, media, and interactive content.
  2. Early access to new features and tools.
  3. Access to the beta of the new Logos web app.
  4. Special membership benefits such as exclusive offers, special discounts, and more.

I don't believe I have seen any codes as yet

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 2:30 AM

Two ideas Logos might want to consider:

1. Discounted year subscription: $89.90 for a year when you pay directly, in stead of the $8.99 a month.
  2. The promise that the money you've paid in subscription fees can be used as a discount when buying a Logos 7 base package. That would be an incentive to people like me, who at this moment don't see anything worth the $8.99 a month in Logos Now, to subscribe anyway.
Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 2:44 AM

Faithlife did mention plans for a discount for paying annually - but I can't find it at the moment.

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 2:53 AM

MJ. Smith:

Faithlife did mention plans for a discount for paying annually - but I can't find it at the moment.

Phil speaks about it at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/103245/713750.aspx#713750 at $89.99 per year

But also note his comments at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/103245/713884.aspx#713884 

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 4:00 AM

Phil Gons:
We are describing it as a membership; we've just not made that the central message. But it'll become more important over time.

You know when I think of this as a membership it makes a lot more sense. In the Logos/Faithlife world, "rental" in large part implies resources, which we own a lot of, and are worried about various ramifications of a perceived (true or untrue) move toward rental as the favorite model.

To think of Logos/Verbum as software (currently free) + datasets (some free some not) + resources (not free other than some minor promotions), moving to a membership enhancement for $8.99 that adds

-some extra features

-some extra datasets

-no resources (I think?)

- and that some of the membership "perqs" eventually fold into the traditional non-membership model of software + datasets + resources really makes more sense to me, at least. Membership will have more perqs added over time. One of those perqs may or may not be discounts on Logos 7. Maybe a perq is a version of Logos 7 optimized for 4 and 6 core computers since more users might have those by then, for a wild example. Maybe it adds some enhanced feature that indexing "borrows" data or processing cycles from a server to make your local complete indexing of 10,000 resources happen in 5 minutes. Possibilities are pretty intriguing actually, because these would be features not necessary to properly run Logos/Verbum, but would be nice perqs worth paying for in a membership. 

And, in the case of datasets and features you "lose" if you drop your membership, if they are at that point available to everyone else through a free engine (say 3 months after Logos 7), then you don't lose them - you just lose other perqs.

I can see now why, thinking of it as a rental, some of us are wondering why Faithlife won't commit to a "rent to buy" consideration for Logos 7, yet they are saying "don't worry". Thinking of it as a membership, I can now see that there in fact could be BETTER perqs offered through membership once Logos 7 comes out, for the membership club, even though a price discount could also be offered but is not a given. I think of it this way - when 6.3 comes out, I get what I normally would have gotten in 6.3, plus my membership perqs. When 7.0 comes out I get what I normally would get (which implies for me buying a base package upgrade, an optional purchase decision by me), plus my membership perqs, also optional to continue. Faithlife wants to make both purchase decisions compelling ones to say yes to. But they are unique. And the intro of Logos 7 could include brand new perqs of membership to not only sign more people up as Logos 7 begins, but ensure existing membership owners continue.

This makes a lot more sense to me thinking of it as membership not rental. Thanks for that revelation, it did not occur to me.

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 4:30 AM

Phil Gons:

Rayner:
It would be very handy to have some kind of preview of the new (beta) app, or for somebody who has started paying for Logos Now to let us all know what features it contains.

Several people have mentioned this. We'll consider posting screenshots and maybe a demo video. We envisioned the free trial serving this purpose, though.

A demo video would be very helpful, thanks.  I probably won't sign up the free trial as I'm not very good at remembering to cancel such subscriptions!

Phil Gons:

Right now it's basically Biblia.com with a new user interface that looks pretty similar to the desktop app with a few small tweaks. We've not added much new functionality to it yet. There's another thread about the web app that talks about our tentative plans for adding features.

Ok, my current view is that I shall wait until the new functionality is to the app added prior to further pondering subscription to Logos Now.  It doesn't yet offer me enough to make the leap (so I shall just spend an extra $10 or so a month on additional resources for my existing collection  :) :) ).

I'm going to go and read the thread about the web app.

Posts 27108
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 5:17 AM

Floyd Johnson:

What should we call those who support LOGOS through thick or thin? You may be NORMAL, but the rest of the description fits. Perhaps it would have been better to say the AVERAGE LOGOS USER  or TYPICAL LOGOS USER rather than NORMAL. But it has been clear over the years that are some who are strong supporters of everything FAITHLIFE (nee LOGOS).  The real problem is not what do we call you - but that your interest in LOGOS is different (some would say "way different") than many of us that use LOGOS' tools.  

There is a tendency for everyone to think of themselves as "normal" or "typical." Since I AM experiencing this issue or problem and feel this way, EVERYONE must be experiencing it and feeling the same way too. I think this problem goes back to the Garden of Eden: "you shall be like god." We have a high view of ourselves. It isn't easy to place one's self in another's shoes. How do you think I feel to be bashed for being an MVP? 

I know that the MVP's are not a block of lemmings. I do not know a single MVP who has not been critical of Faithlife for at least a decision or two. Or three or four. Or considerably more! I know that many of the concerns expressed in this thread are shared by some of the MVP's, but hopefully (as MJ wrote), we are willing to express our concerns directly to Faithlife (when appropriate) and in a more constructive manner. It is ok to ask questions, and to question decisions at times.

One thing that gets my goat, however, is when people challenge the integrity of the Faithlife staff. I have seen Bob and his team bend over backwards to "do the right thing." They aren't perfect... Duh. They make mistakes. But they work hard to get it right, and I appreciate that. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2972
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 5:26 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Mark:
Language such as "for the foreseeable future" is not comfort language.

When we released Logos Bible Software 1.0 twenty-three years ago, most people had never heard of the Internet or used email, the Euro currency was still a decade away, and few people had cell-phones. The iPad is only five years old; the iPhone less than eight.

Lord willing, we plan to be here, serving you, twenty-three years from now. So I try not to make 'forever' promises, because I have no idea if downloading software will even be possible, let alone desirable, in twenty-three years. You might be doing your Bible study during your commute in your fully-automated flying car, and it might only support cloud-based access. That's why I say 'foreseeable'. :-)

Best answer ever!

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 6473
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 5:41 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Bob Pritchett:

Mark:
Language such as "for the foreseeable future" is not comfort language.

When we released Logos Bible Software 1.0 twenty-three years ago, most people had never heard of the Internet or used email, the Euro currency was still a decade away, and few people had cell-phones. The iPad is only five years old; the iPhone less than eight.

Lord willing, we plan to be here, serving you, twenty-three years from now. So I try not to make 'forever' promises, because I have no idea if downloading software will even be possible, let alone desirable, in twenty-three years. You might be doing your Bible study during your commute in your fully-automated flying car, and it might only support cloud-based access. That's why I say 'foreseeable'. :-)

Best answer ever!

Remember the fight by telephone companies over who gave the best deal for minutes on your home system? .10 weekends vs .15 weekdays etc. All of that is out the window now with Voip. Skype, Google Talk, apps on mobile phones is cutting further into that line of thinking.

All of the money invested in Pots (Plain Old Telephone System) is almost wasted. Think about how much was invested by Internet Service Providers in dial up modems. Again money gone down the drain, if they did not recoup it by subscription or customer loyalty before Dsl and Cable took over. Not to mention ISDN. A 56k modem was fast in the late 1990's. My Isp has increased my speed from 500kb to 3 Mb to 15 to 20. They finally increased the cost by 2.00. (Slightly less, I did not take note of the difference)

Eleven years ago it took 4 weeks for Cd's to reach me from Bellingham (in the Bahamas) to get books when they were shipped. Now I can read the resource the moment it is released via the web or mobile device.

Remember when you had to pay for search engines to list your site? Or your hotmail account was limited to 25 MB.

My point is nothing is certain in the information age. What Logos is offering via the cloud (too much bandwidth/Hard drives too small) we may be able to hold on our mobile phones, and our children may have a hard time remembering what data limits was all about, and have to research 2G, 3G, 4G, Lte to to know what we are talking about. Nothing is static in the information age.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Page 9 of 15 (298 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS