Retiring the Send-to-Kindle Feature on 3/31

Page 6 of 9 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
This post has 162 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 41
Craig Ostrander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2016 8:35 PM

I too was not notified of this until today and feature appears switched off. I am going to Israel and wanted to get a few of my commentaries on my Kindle since I won't be able to take my laptop with me on the trip. reading on the Kindle is so much more convenient then the laptop or iPad at times. You can read outside in the daylight where that is impossible on a laptop or iPad

Posts 41
Craig Ostrander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2016 8:42 PM

I attempted to "send to my Kindle" a couple hours ago as the option was still there. But it seem the upload is stuck in an endless loop as the upload progress bar is still moving but it has been like that for about 4 hours now and I see no way to end it.

Posts 24625
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2016 8:44 PM

Craig Ostrander:
But it seem the upload is stuck in an endless loop as the upload progress bar is still moving but it has been like that for about 4 hours now and I see no way to end it.

Restart the app and/or computer. The app doesn't actually "upload" anything... it simply sends a request to Logos. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 41
Craig Ostrander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2016 9:22 PM

I restarted both the app and the computer. Maybe by tomorrow it will quit sending the request. It does not appear to be slowing anything down so hopefully it will rectify itself shortly. Thanks

Posts 11735
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 1:03 AM

Craig Ostrander:

I attempted to "send to my Kindle" a couple hours ago as the option was still there. But it seem the upload is stuck in an endless loop as the upload progress bar is still moving but it has been like that for about 4 hours now and I see no way to end it.

I suspect it will stay there until you upgrade to the next version of Logos (which is currently in beta testing).  When you Send to Kindle, all your PC does is send a very simple request to the Logos servers. The "upload" happens from the Logos servers, not your PC. When you request a status update (by having the info panel open on that book), Logos asks the server "have you done it yet?". Until it gets an answer in the affirmative (which it now won't), it will keep saying "Uploading".

It's not doing any harm, and if you're not actually requesting a status update, then nothing will actually be happening for you to worry about. 

Posts 69
Nick Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 1:52 AM

Hi - I'm another who just received the email (arrived late last night UK time) and hadn't heard of this before then. If there's no legal way to keep the feature then I understand - but it is very frustrating, and all the more so with the complete lack of notice. It's a feature I've used a lot (and yes, one which did help persuade me to upgrade though I'm sure I would have done so anyway). If it's possible to extend the deadline for a couple of weeks that would be great - I can then think about what I'm going to want to read on Kindle in the next few months.

Posts 3
Josh "Hawaii" Nelson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 2:48 AM

Thanks for trying. I didn't think it was intentional. Please let us know the result!

Posts 2
Jordan Michael Roe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 5:20 AM

Fully agree...I too just received the email yesterday. It would be nice, if at all possible, to extend the deadline a few days before the feature is disabled. 

Posts 17
Kernel Sanders | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 5:45 AM

Same here! Received the email just a few hours before the feature was disabled...

Posts 76
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 8:17 AM

Well, shoot.  I just spent the morning uploading books...but none of them came through. What a waste of my time. 

What a mess, Faithlife.

I really hope it is in the plans to provide a localized version of send-to-kindle (call it "send to mobi") so we can at least send our books to our kindles as docs.  Amazon shouldn't be able to bully you for that, anyway. 

Posts 8482
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 9:58 AM

Aaron W:
Well, shoot.  I just spent the morning uploading books...but none of them came through. What a waste of my time.

Here's what was said in the other Kindle thread:

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

I've also been informed that due to the substantial increase in demand for our Send To Kindle service (about 100× more requests than normal), books may take many hours to be delivered. 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1346
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 9:59 AM

Because the email didn't make it to everyone in advance, we're going to keep the feature and the service live for two more weeks. When 6.11 ships on Monday, April 18, the feature and service will be disabled. You may continue to use it for the next two weeks, and books you send to Kindle will continue to work even after April 18.

Due to the high volume of requests, it may take longer than normal for your books to process.

I'm sorry again for the late notice—and that we have to retire a feature many of you really enjoy.

Posts 41
Craig Ostrander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2016 2:20 PM

The two books I tried to send late yesterday afternoon have found their way to my Kindle so it must have been the back log. There was one more I really wanted on my Kindle and I see the option is still on the menu so I figured I'd give it a shot and try for one more.

Posts 4
Michael High | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 9:40 AM

The first I heard of the death of Send-To-Kindle was an email sent by Logos at 22:12 on 31st March. So I had no opportunity to download any more books. As I use a 27" iMac for study and sermon prep, I bought a Kindle for reading for pleasure, purely on the strength of the Send-to-Kindle feature. On 1st April I received a follow up email that promised an 18 day stay of execution, but this turned out to be an April Fool message as the Send-to-Kindle is already dead (I've had a 'Kindle upload in progress' message for eight hours now).

Sorry Logos, but after 14 years of good service, you've really screwed up this time. I'm going to have to cancel all my books on pre-pub as I can't read them in comfort or on my travels. Don't expect me to buy a fancy phone or iPad. I'm back to paper, where support does not evaporate at short notice.

Posts 1043
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 9:55 AM

Michael High:
as the Send-to-Kindle is already dead (I've had a 'Kindle upload in progress' message for eight hours now).

It's not dead yet, see the above posts and also here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/124672/813819.aspx#813819 

15" Macbook Pro (2016), OS 10.13 — Is Faithlife Down? — Post Logs: Mac | Windows

Posts 114
Robert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 12:23 PM

Phil, thanks for the StK extension.  However as FYI, currently about three seconds after each Send to Kindle request comes a "Failed..." notification. 'Retry' results are same. Perhaps FL servers are presently overwhelmed.  I'll try again during a lower-traffic period.

Grace and peace. <><

Posts 1346
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 12:39 PM

Robert:

Phil, thanks for the StK extension.  However as FYI, currently about three seconds after each Send to Kindle request comes a "Failed..." notification. 'Retry' results are same. Perhaps FL servers are presently overwhelmed.  I'll try again during a lower-traffic period.

Grace and peace. <><

Thanks for letting us know, Robert. We'll investigate and report back. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Posts 114
Robert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 12:49 PM

Phil, thanks! Undoubtedly a taxing time (sorry, couldn't resist - easy way to remember the date) for the systems involved.

Grace and peace. <><

Posts 41
Craig Ostrander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 4:33 PM

I'm also getting the "failed to send" message a few seconds after clicking.

Posts 1346
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2016 6:03 PM

Craig Ostrander:

I'm also getting the "failed to send" message a few seconds after clicking.

The team tried to make some quick optimizations to improve the processing speed, but they weren't successful. So the service was down for a while. It's back up and running, and everything that's been submitted should still be in the queue and get processed.

Page 6 of 9 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.