Is there a Bible with no verses, chapters or headings?

Page 2 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2011 10:05 AM

Ted Weis:

The other interesting thing I'm noticing among the comments is that many of you still do your Bible study with some sort of pen and paper. I'd be interested to know, for what reason do you not complete your study entirely electronic?

I like to underline and circle words that I want to do word studies on, I like to add questions and notes quickly on the paper. I sometimes draw lines between things that connect, ect. I find trying to do these things on the computer are either difficult or impossible for me. Also I find I retain things better when I read and write them out. I sometimes will even write out the biblical text by hand (If it’s not too long of a passage) just to get as many senses as possible involved.

See my screen captures and scans above.

Posts 1885
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 5:11 PM

If one were to purchase a print Bible that didn't have chapters and verses, should that edition have page numbering?

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 5:21 PM

Robert M. Warren:

If one were to purchase a print Bible that didn't have chapters and verses, should that edition have page numbering?

Not if it were printed on a scroll. Smile

Posts 1885
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 5:31 PM

Rosie Perera:
Not if it were printed on a scroll. Smile

Totally retro...I like that!

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 6:32 PM

Ronald Quick:

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a Bible, preferably in Logos, that did not display the verses, chapters and section headings?

Thanks

Ron

Easy,  if you have smart tags, but not in Logos. Install smart tags http://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags  then just type the reference you want to read in your word processor and select 'replace with passage'.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 75
Robert Kostenbauder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 8:14 PM

Hi,

Just came across this Bible in my library and thought it might be of interest to you The Cambridge Paragraph Bible of the Authorized English Version.

Posts 1
Anu Alphone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:45 PM

There is a way to remove verse numbers and chapters: Tools -> Copy Bible Verses -> Enter Bible Verse (or the name of the Book ex. Nahum) -> Choose from Options in the Blue Font (Copy from “Bible Text Only” from “ESV” to “Microsoft Word”) -> Open up a blank Microsoft Word document (or a blank document of your choice) -> Click “Copy and Paste” ->View your blank document which should now have your preferred verses or book pasted to it.  Stay blessed.

Posts 3
Shaun | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 8:15 PM

You can also create your own styles (see the Help). If it's of any use to anyone, I like the following customized style which pastes into Word even better than it appears in the viewer for the copy style editor (it uses the Normal style when it pastes and paragraphs show up great):

%UseBibleParagraphs
%NoParFormatting
%NoCharFormatting
%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
<b>[FullBookName]</b>
<i>[Version]</i>

=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]

UPDATE:  Sorry, when I mentioned it pasted well in Word, that was on Word 2010 for Windows 7.  I just tried my MacBook Pro and it basically shows up just like the edit style viewer.  Word 2011 under OS X Lion definitely functions differently with this tool.

Posts 508
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 9:04 PM

I've got the entire New Testament of the ESV version in a Word document formatted without verses and chapters in the text. I hope to do the same to the Old Testament one of these days. I sent the text file off to an on-demand publisher and they sent me back a hardcover New Testament that reads like a regular book.

It was a fun project to do, and reading the Bible that way was a lot easier, I think. I searched long and hard for a print Bible that did the same thing, but couldn't find any I was happy with. So I made my own.

I'm not sure whether this is legal or anything, but if it is I can post the Word file here and others can make a PPB of it. I put chapter numbers in the side margins for navigation purposes, and these show up within the text when converted to a PBB, so they may need to be deleted first before compiling.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 9:37 PM

Greg Masone:
I've got the entire New Testament of the ESV version in a Word document formatted without verses and chapters in the text

I did the same thing with the NASB, however I left the chapter markers in the text.  With a table of contents and the search window(added chapter milestones) I find it easier to navigate in.  I used a base text with paragraphs.  I agree it is much nicer to read without the clutter.  I would like to have a NT in ESV and NIV, but it took me about an entire day to do it.  I also converted the Word document to a pdf so I could read it on iPad.  About how long do you think your project took?

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 508
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:02 PM

Jerry M:
I did the same thing with the NASB, however I left the chapter markers in the text.  With a table of contents and the search window(added chapter milestones) I find it easier to navigate in.  I used a base text with paragraphs.  I agree it is much nicer to read without the clutter.  I would like to have a NT in ESV and NIV, but it took me about an entire day to do it.  I also converted the Word document to a pdf so I could read it on iPad.  About how long do you think your project took?

I'm a stickler for details, so the formatting had to be just right. Putting the chapter numbers in the margins (as opposed to in the text) took extra time too, as did getting it ready for "publication". All in all it took me about a month to do everything, from copying the text off the ESV website (you can change your setting there to take out the chapter and verse numbers) to formatting it and putting in the chapter numbers.

Here's Philippians in PDF form if you want to take a look at it: 8867.50 - Philippians.pdf

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:22 PM

Greg Masone:
Here's Philippians in PDF form if you want to take a look at it

Your PDF looked really good.  I worked on mine over a period two days off and on, so I don't know for sure how many hours it took.  I have made about 200 personal books so I have streamlined the process where I could (I got the macro tool from here in the forums, thanks).  I copied about 8 chapters at a time.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 508
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:53 PM

Jerry M:
Your PDF looked really good.  I worked on mine over a period two days off and on, so I don't know for sure how many hours it took.  I have made about 200 personal books so I have streamlined the process where I could (I got the macro tool from here in the forums, thanks).  I copied about 8 chapters at a time.

Thanks!

What's the macro tool?

In the next few years I'd like to start making PBBs. Don't really have the time for it now. Would love to create my own library of classics in PBB form!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:04 PM

Greg Masone:
What's the macro tool?

Found several macro tools by using a google search => site:community.logos.com personal book macro

Page Number macro for Word 2010 and Personal Book Files

Another PB Macro for Word 2010

PB macros for Word 2010 & 2007

PB Tag Generator

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1
Josh Lundgaard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:23 AM

Greg,

Any chance of you posting the entire NT file? I've been looking for exactly that...that ESV is my prefered version.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 11:47 AM

Ronald Quick:

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a Bible, preferably in Logos, that did not display the verses, chapters and section headings?

Thanks

Ron

You mean like Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus … Matthew, Mark Luke … Revelation?  Devil

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 29474
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 12:07 PM

Josh Lundgaard:
Any chance of you posting the entire NT file? I've been looking for exactly that...that ESV is my prefered version.

Josh - Welcome to the forums! Which NT file were you looking for?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11841
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 12:11 PM

alabama24:

Josh Lundgaard:

Josh - Welcome to the forums! Which NT file were you looking for?

I think he meant Greg Masone's, where Philippians was posted above.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 29474
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 12:59 PM

NewbieMick:
I think he meant Greg Masone's, where Philippians was posted above.

Did Greg say he had the entire NT? In any case, I would not advise Greg to share that file, as it may violate copyright laws.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 8:14 PM

Ronald Quick:

Working on a Personal Book using public domain text, wondering if format appears useful:

Chapter and verse numbers are not displayed; does have a paragraph break between chapters (plus several more).  However, each verse is tagged so right click has selection, which can be used to open another Bible (or Commentary, depending on Logos library prioritization).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS