Please share with us what the hang up is on PPB to Mobile

Page 6 of 6 (115 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
This post has 114 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 597
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 20 2017 11:41 AM

Don Awalt:
Add the need to create new functionality in every point release of Logos/Verbum in order to make the subscription model attractive to new subscribers

More like new shovelware resources that are only appealing to a fraction of a fraction of the theological community. If they want to attract a solid broad base maybe they could focus more on getting the best classic and contemporary resources and stop trying to cram us with 1,000 resources forgotten in the in the dustbin of history plus FaithlifeTV.

Take Noet as an example. Suppose I'm teaching a course on Plato next semester and I'm trying to decide on the resources and materials to use. What immediately comes to mind as I plan the course would be Allan Bloom's The Republic of Plato, 2nd ed. and Plato: Complete Works eds. Cooper and Hutchinson. I could do that for $70. What definitely wouldn't come to mind is to spend $100 on the 1892 Benjamin Jowett translations that I can find for *free*. "But the search functionality!" has been the typical defense of paying more for a product that isn't up to date with the most recent scholarship... Sorry, but that fails because if I bought the digital versions of Bloom & Cooper/Hutchingson from a certain other major online retailer I would have search functionality and now be spending even less money: $51.

While my example deals with Noet, in my opinion, this is the same problem plaguing Logos and why people like me are spending our money elsewhere. ...Though I won't be dogmatic about it.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 7
David Ahlgren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 19 2018 4:16 PM

This is why I use OliveTree Bible App on mobile (iPad and iPhone).  Much more mature and flexible app, but no PBB equivalents...

Posts 234
Fabian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2020 5:42 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Due to recent staff cuts, we had to stop development on some features; PBB sync was one of those features.

Too bad. Hopefully the development starts soon again.

Posts 8499
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2020 7:57 AM

Fabian:

Due to recent staff cuts, we had to stop development on some features; PBB sync was one of those features.

I doubt it, Bradley stated that 4 years ago and nothing else has been said about it.  We can only hope that will change maybe some day.

DAL

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2020 10:00 AM

Usually customer-desired features must 'gather interest' for at least five years (so FL can tag them as 'done' or died).

I doubt PBB's will hit mobile this side of heaven. FL's a legasy-desktop company. And the L4-9 has way too much invested. It's a Sears equation.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5627
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2020 5:16 PM

Faithlife pays attention to UserVoice. How many votes are there for PBBs on mobile on UserVoice...?

“The wisdom of the Scriptures is learned rather by prayer than by study.” — St. Philip Neri

Posts 19430
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2020 8:29 PM

Fabian:

Faithlife Corporation has business motivation not to develop as expressed by Bob Pritchett, Faithlife CEO, on 8 Sep 2016 => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/126859/848584.aspx#848584

SineNomine:

Faithlife pays attention to UserVoice. How many votes are there for PBBs on mobile on UserVoice...?

Thankful for Faithlife paying attention to UserVoice Big Smile

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

SineNomine:

543, but the suggestion is Declined: https://logosmobile.uservoice.com/forums/190765-logos-mobile-apps/suggestions/3625331-pbb-sync-to-mobile 

Posts 5627
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 3:30 PM

SineNomine:

543, but the suggestion is Declined: https://logosmobile.uservoice.com/forums/190765-logos-mobile-apps/suggestions/3625331-pbb-sync-to-mobile

And now we know how much attention forum users pay to UserVoice. Wink

(Incidentally, this isn't a feature I would use if it existed.)

“The wisdom of the Scriptures is learned rather by prayer than by study.” — St. Philip Neri

Posts 33859
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 3:50 PM

SineNomine:
And now we know how much attention forum users pay to UserVoice. Wink

Shared PBB and a store was something I had built into my plans ... but I understand the legal jeopardy that got it dropped. So no, I don't expect Logos to blindly follow user votes ... some of them are outrageous in terms of effort required, some have legal ramifications, some are simply "I don't want to have to learn how Logos does the same function".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 68
Vadim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 4:43 PM

I doubt that the real issue is "legal." Personal books already sync through the desktop versions of Logos. Enabling mobile syncing would take little effort to implement. 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 4:45 PM

MJ. Smith:
Shared PBB and a store was something I had built into my plans

I'm ignorant relative to the Logos issue, beyond Bob's explanation. But I used PBs in another commercial Bible software, for many years ... so much so, I wrote automation into my software to feed it, as also Logos PBBs.

My impression of how the other company overcame the legal beagles, was the PBs never left the user's platforms (desktop and mobile). PBs were copyable back and forth, no differently than their source files; just a different format, similar to MP3s. The Logos design, in contrast, demands Logos fingerprints all over the place.

But mobile PBs are VERY useful, especially in group settings.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 930
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 5:57 PM

Vadim:

I doubt that the real issue is "legal."

Legality was, if IRC, a reason for it. Users who created PBBs of their copyrighted works would get housed on Faithlife's servers.

Posts 97
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2020 7:28 AM

Vadim:

I doubt that the real issue is "legal." Personal books already sync through the desktop versions of Logos. Enabling mobile syncing would take little effort to implement. 

Are you sure about personal books already syncing in the desktop version?  I tried adding a personal book to one desktop installation, clicked the upload button, and then synced my laptop where the program is installed, but it didn’t show up?

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2020 7:30 AM

Jon:

Vadim:

Are you sure about personal books already syncing in the desktop version?  I tried adding a personal book to one desktop installation, clicked the upload button, and then synced my laptop where the program is installed, but it didn’t show up?

Yes - I have used it and it worked fine.

As this thread is primarily about mobile I would recommend starting a new thread in the desktop forum and we'll try to help work out what is going on

Page 6 of 6 (115 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS