MArchmadness Suprises

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 676
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 10 2017 4:51 AM

Is anyone else shocked at the outcome of this years marchmadness? 

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 5:09 AM
Yep, people keep making the same mistake...voting for older works instead of the more recent scholarship. 🤔🙄 And yes, that includes voting for freaking Spurgeon! DAL
Posts 72
John Crupper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 5:35 AM

Shocked? No. Frustrated? Yes.

Please allow me to vote in such a manner as to ensure that at the end of the day I can get 70% off to $10 resource while also ensuring that the $70 resource only goes at 30%.Angry

Posts 250
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 5:55 AM

DAL:
Yep, people keep making the same mistake...voting for older works instead of the more recent scholarship. 🤔🙄 And yes, that includes voting for freaking Spurgeon! DAL

I suspect people are going to vote for what they find appealing or useful. I wouldn't be surprised if denominational preference also played a part

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Verbum 8 Platinum. Orthodox Silver. Lutheran Bronze. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 62
Ken Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 6:05 AM

I may be misremembering... but didn't they used to group the older authors (15th century - 19th century) together into head-to-head competitions? I am similarly frustrated (especially with the Spurgeon & Augustine wins).

Posts 120
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 6:06 AM

It must be a name recognition thing. I can't believe how big Chesterton is winning by. If you think a bracket challenge for college basketball is hard to predict. I can't imagine trying to pick this one. The only thing we know is that Carson and Wright won't win, but who will win is anyone's guess. The more my guys loose early, the more my wallet breathes a sigh of relief.

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 6:11 AM

Maybe the losers so far this year were winners last and people bought what they have offered. Needed new winners this year.

Posts 4570
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 6:11 AM

David Ruley:
The only thing we know is that Carson and Wright won't win,

And the only problem is that, unless you are fairly new to bible scholarship you probably have most of Carson and Wrights work.

What is lacking in this exercise is any real imagination.

I simply haven't bothered looking this year.

Posts 9964
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 6:27 AM

Mike Binks:

And the only problem is that, unless you are fairly new to bible scholarship you probably have most of Carson and Wrights work.

I checked and after 12 years of Logosian investing, I have one resource Wright slipped in on, and the NT/OT one from Carson.  That took hard work. I regard these guys as 'play it again, Sam!'

Judging from the comments, and if you were a coder, there's an error in the array variable.

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 6:36 AM

I will agree about saving money. If John MacArthur had made it to about 50 or 60% off I would be buying those commentaries. Maybe next year.

Posts 2301
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 6:39 AM

As much as users have been begging for Logos and Moody to get together and bring back MacArthur's commentaries, I'm surprised that he was eliminated in the first round.

Posts 1572
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 7:11 AM

I agree with you you SteveHD on the MacArthur Commentaries. If John MacArthur had made it to about 50 or 60% I would have bought every one of those commentaries.

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 7:17 AM

Robert Peters:

Is anyone else shocked at the outcome of this years marchmadness? 

May I ask what shocked you?

Posts 120
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 7:45 AM

Mike Binks:

I am fairly new to biblical scholarship as I am sure many Logos users are as well. I have the works of Wright that I want, but I am lacking some resources from Carson that I would like, but I can't pull the trigger at only 45% when I know he could go 75% if given a chance. I am sure on the forums I am the minority, but I am sure I am the majority when it comes to Logos users. I think March Madness is more for newer users than for older and some users will outgrow it if they regularly add resources to their library. 

Mike Binks:

What is lacking in this exercise is any real imagination.

March Madness does seem to repeat the same authors every year though. The new ones for this year are Keller (just added to Logos last year), Futato (already out), and  Stott (available in Reformed and Anglican Starter). I only have data for the last two years, but it looks like most authors perform about the same each year. The only ones who look to be over performing is Wiersbe if he beats Lightfoot (both 30% authors, one of which will go 40% or better) and Warfield. By over performing, I mean going at least two rounds what they have done the last two years. Bonhoeffer, Chapell, Evans, and Marshall all look to have under performed. I am sure with more data I could see better trends, but all I have is what I have collected. I am sure over the next several years I will see more clarity.

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 8:25 AM

David Ruley:
I think March Madness is more for newer users than for older

That's an interesting observation which I think may be correct. Certainly the longer one has Logos and hangs out on the forums the more likely they have already taken advantage of previous sales.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1595
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 8:40 AM

Ken Hicks:

I may be misremembering... but didn't they used to group the older authors (15th century - 19th century) together into head-to-head competitions? I am similarly frustrated (especially with the Spurgeon & Augustine wins).

I for one would love to get some of the newer translations of Augustine at a good discount - translations that are finally in Logos and filtering down into a few collections...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 1336
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 9:20 AM

Yes, it would nice if e.g. Anchor Bible Commentary authors (Brown, Fitzmeyer) could go beyond 30%, since those are all $60 a pop.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1070
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 10:35 AM

I would just like to through this in.

If an Author is very important to you Please talk up tell us Why we need to vote for him or her.

For example I do not count the number of works someone has that Logos might discount because of the sale.

My view is to vote on who I might want to add to my Library.

Edited like Ben did above, for me this would be helpful.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 999
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 10:39 AM

Lee:

If an Author is very important to you Please talk up tell us Why we need to vote for him or her.

Yes

Posts 2301
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 10 2017 10:40 AM

I vote for the author that has the resources I am looking to add to my library - not just because I like the author over another.

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS