8.9 (8.9.0.0023) is now available

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3060
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 12 2019 12:05 PM

The Logos Bible Software desktop application version 8.9 is now available to all users.

To immediately update to the current stable version, enter the Update Now command. Otherwise, the app will automatically update the next time it's scheduled to check for updates.

Release Notes

Download Link

Posts 187
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 12 2019 2:40 PM

I notice that now when I copy text, whether into BibleWorks or Word, it converts to Calibri font, whereas before it copied to the target source's font, Times New Roman.

Is this a bug, or is there something I need to change?

Posts 187
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 12 2019 2:44 PM

On the other hand, let me say that so far I'm delighted with the change as to selecting single words! Logos used to do that, then stopped. I complained, and was told, "Sorry, that's just the way it is now." I'm so glad it's been rectified!

Posts 199
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 12 2019 7:49 PM

Am I correct, Miss Philana, that this is the final update that will work on Windows 7 OS machines?

Thank you so much!

Paul L. White

Satisfied Logos User since 1.6

Posts 8692
LogosEmployee

Paul L. White:
that this is the final update that will work on Windows 7 OS machines?

No; we've committed to supporting Windows 7 through Logos 8.11 (past when Windows 7 is end-of-life): https://community.logos.com/forums/t/182626.aspx.

Posts 199
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 12:22 AM

Ah!  Thank you so much, Mr. Grainger. I have copied your note here down, and saved it, so I won't need to ask again.

This is very kind of you to take the time and explain.

Salute!

Posts 187
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 7:17 AM

To add to my previous question: I notice that just now the Copy Bible Verses changes the font as well, as it had not done. Same questions.

Is this the place to get these questions answered, as Paul L. White already has had his answered by Bradley Grainger, or should I ask somewhere else?

Posts 4819
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 9:47 AM

Hi Daniel

Just to confirm that this is definitely the place to ask these questions and you are right to kick back in when your thread is hi-jacked. Unfortunately this is one of the weaknesses of the system.

On my Mac I can paste in two ways Cmd V will paste the font and style that is in the clip-board. Cmd + Option +Shift + V will paste to the style set in the document that I am pasting too.

I guess that there will be a similar way of working in Windows?

Posts 2933
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 10:16 AM

Can someone 'splain the 'why' for this change? Does this mean VC won't be available for monographs, etc.?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 199
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 10:34 AM

Just for the record, there was no attempt on my part to "hijack" anyone's thread.

The Original Post was about the update of Logos.  I deduced, from that, that any question about the release was valid in this thread.

Paul L. White

Posts 2251
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 11:03 AM

Doc B:

Can someone 'splain the 'why' for this change? Does this mean VC won't be available for monographs, etc.?

This has nothing to do which what kind of resource you are using. This means that when you right click and select various types of data on the left side of the context menu, the VC option won't be displayed on the right. That was removed, because VC doesn't support those other types of data reference.

Posts 23214
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 11:09 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
That was removed, because VC doesn't support those other types of data

But it still appears if I simply select a phrase (so not a reference or lemma) so I am confused about this.

Posts 2251
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 11:14 AM

Graham Criddle:

That was removed, because VC doesn't support those other types of data

But it still appears if I simply select a phrase (so not a reference or lemma) so I am confused about this.

Correct, because it actually does something useful in that scenario. The option was removed from selections where it didn't actually do anything useful.

The release note indicates that it affects "datatype other than Bible references and lemmas". The phrase text is not a datatype.

Posts 187
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 11:49 AM

Thanks, Mike. I didn't feel Paul had hijacked the thread; I did wonder why he got a quick response, and so far Logos has given me none.

To be clear:

BEFORE: I select text and copy in any way (drag and drop, Ctrl + C, right-click and Copy), and when I paste it is in the target doc's font -- 12 pt Times New Roman in Word, 10 pt in BibleWorks.

Now, no matter how I copy, the font changes for either, to Calibri 12 or 10. I changed nothing; it happened after this update.

I want to go back to how it was. 

How-to?

I'm on Windows 10.

Thanks again for responding.

Posts 23214
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 2:10 PM

The release note indicates that it affects "datatype other than Bible references and lemmas". The phrase text is not a datatype.

Got it!

Thanks Andrew

Posts 23214
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 2:15 PM

Daniel J. Phillips:
Now, no matter how I copy, the font changes for either, to Calibri 12 or 10. I changed nothing; it happened after this update.

I also get the font changing - but I don't do this very often so can't compare with how it used to work.

I also had an Office upgrade at around the same time. If you did, is that a factor? (I know that wouldn't affect Bibleworks though)

On Word, what default settings do you have for copy / paste operations?

Posts 4819
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 1:48 AM

Paul L. White:
Just for the record, there was no attempt on my part to "hijack" anyone's thread.

Paul, I do apologise. This was down to my incompetence.

I should have suggested that a new thread be started.

Please accept my unreserved apology for that remark.

Posts 187
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 6:00 AM

I have keep source formatting.

Posts 406
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 9:20 AM

Daniel J. Phillips:

I have keep source formatting.

Hi, Daniel. I apologize for the trouble. This was an intentional change as part of the fix for the problem reported here. We had our "default" font set as Times New Roman (which, happily for you, coincided with your target font). Most Word users, however, use Word's default font, Calibri, and we intentionally changed our default font to match the default for the majority of users.

Ultimately, whether to respect the font of the copied text is up to the receiving application. Fortunately, as Graham points out, you can set your paste formatting options in Word. I would recommend you set Word to "Merge Formatting" which retains bold and italic of the source text, and discards font face and other formatting.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 10744
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 2:16 PM

Graham, do not believe the options in your screenshot exist in MS Word for Mac.

Also, according to Adam's post, those settings will not correct the problem. Text from Logos would still paste in Calibri.

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS