Logos 9 Wishlist

Page 7 of 35 (699 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
This post has 698 Replies | 41 Followers

Posts 3971
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 9:50 AM

Another thought:

Integration w/ Mac's new Touch Bar.  Make one customized for Logos.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/140730.aspx 

Posts 4
James Macleod | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 11:32 AM
  • Sermon Editor
    • Numbered bullets need to work properly.
    • All bullets need to indent properly and be more robust
    • Ability to markup an inserted verse
    • iPad editing (even if it is just simple text editing)
    • Fix export to Word. It leaves you with a document with complex formatting
  • Phrasing Tool
Posts 902
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 9:59 PM

For me, lack of usability is the # 1 issue. Here are two examples:

- Depending on which menu you are on, you might "Add a note" or "Take a note" or "Add note". Sure, this is not a big deal but it shows that nobody so far has gone through Logos to ensure some consistent logic of usage and terminology.

- A more extensive example is described here:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/182213/1057916.aspx#1057916

As I describe in this post, having 20 options to search for a topic is simply confusing. A while back, I switched to using Google to search for things. If I then find a reference, I check if I have this reference in my Logos library. But I wished I could do the searching in Logos.

Whenever I recommend Logos to others, I always add the caveat that it is really difficult to use. This is a pity, because if people just want to read books, Kindle is cheaper. The advantage of Logos is its power with all its datasets. But without spending a significant amount of time and money on training, this advantage cannot be used.

Posts 29339
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 10:25 PM

Armin:
As I describe in this post, having 20 options to search for a topic is simply confusing.

Armin, I'm not disagreeing with you on the complexity of Logos. However, your description of this particular issues may indicate that you are missing some key distinctions that would help you make sense of the Logos structure. If you are interested in getting a bit of targeted assistance, let me know.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 140
Dennis Hilario | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2019 10:51 PM

1) Faster searching

2) Carta resources in Logos 9

3) Hebrew OT audio

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 4:29 AM

Dennis Hilario:
3) Hebrew OT audio

Yes! I should have mentioned this too in my original post.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 110
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 10:14 AM

It was suggested that I repost my "wish" here.

For 2020, could Logos get their Logos Bible Atlas working again? I cannot get it to work in Windows 10 no matter what I do with compatibility settings. I just want it to work again. :) 

For those who do not remember this great program:

https://www.amazon.com/Logos-Bible-Atlas-Research-Systems/dp/1577991737

Posts 902
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2019 5:37 PM

MJ. Smith:

If you are interested in getting a bit of targeted assistance, let me know.

Yes please! Many thanks.

Posts 87
Robert Kelbe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2019 3:01 PM

Desktop Version

1. UI Improvements
  2. Keep Logos the best!
    • I'm interested in connected highlights. However, I hope you would do a better job than the competitor which offended my OCD tendencies! I would want them to be similar to the highlights now where they are drawn by the computer.
    • I'm also interested in resource availability such as Carta and EGGNT

Android

1. Additional Features
    • Prayer list support (Who prays primarily in front of their computer?)
    • Personal Book support (I often prefer to read/highlight on my phone)
    • A better way to select a verse than a drop-down with Verse numbers.
    • A way to choose the base text in the text comparison tool (or, as a next-best option, go in order of priority)
  2. Bug fixes
    1. Fix an inconsistency with linked tabs. The active verse for the active tab seems to be based on the very top of the pane (whether or not is is hidden by the navigation bar). The active verse for the linked tab seems to be right below where the navigation bar would be (whether it is visible or not). This results in strange behavior if you scroll alternately in both tabs. When the linked tab is scrolled, it becomes the active tab, and the active verse goes from the center to the top of the tab and causes the other tab to scroll backwards. The location should be the same, based on the top-most visible verse (the top of the tab if the navigation bar is hidden, or right below the navigation bar if the navigation bar is visible. This would be a much appreciated improvement! 
    2. Clicking a link should sync linked tabs (currently I have to scroll slightly in order to trigger them to sync).
Posts 14
Alberto Deluca | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2019 3:13 PM

Dennis Hilario:

1) Faster searching

2) Carta resources in Logos 9

3) Hebrew OT audio

Unfortunately, based on another post, # 2 (carta) may not happen.  Something about a Bibleware model.

Posts 3726
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2019 3:34 PM

Alberto Deluca:
Unfortunately, based on another post, # 2 (carta) may not happen.  Something about a Bibleware model.

What’s apparently missing from that topical approach is the ability to read a specific book in its entirety. Citations might also be an issue, if you are unable to cite a specific title and page number.

Hoping that FL can convince Carta Jerusalem that there’s still a market for actual books!

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2019 5:18 PM

PetahChristian:
Hoping that FL can convince Carta Jerusalem that there’s still a market for actual books!

That's it in a nutshell! Hoping indeed!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 218
David R. McAllan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2019 11:03 PM

I'd like to see the guides consolidated. It seems that the sections involved with the guides are practically available for all the various types of guides. Sure, there will be some tweaking of the one guide but simplicity would be welcome.

Logos 8 is awesome. Changing to a solid state drive made all the difference with my Logos program in respect to its speed..

David
https://echucacommunitychurch.com

Specs: HP Pavilion dv6-6137tx ; i7 2 GHz; 8 gb RAM; 2 gb Graphics; 1 Tb SSD; Win 10; Windows Defender

Posts 29339
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 3:25 PM

I know what the star element of Logos 9 should be ... even if I'm to lazy to draw the mockup. It should be the "Everything" or "Integrated" view of the data.

• First, think in terms of a full-screen panel.
  • Second, for visualizing it, think of touch screen.
  • Third, think of the screen as divided into 4 sections with the following content:
    • A - the left most column contains facets for all the information embedded in the Guides, Interactives, Datasets, Searches, Information Panel, Lookup Panel
    • B - the next column is used for expanded select, display of Fackbook popup cards, highlight color key, terminology definition popups
    • C - the Bible text normally a translation with a reverse interlinear. The length of the text must be limited but must be able to contain the longest pericope and/or lection
    • D - the data display area
  • Fourth, believe that in an ideal implementation, users could use tables to add information missing in Logos. Examples: adding the command type (non-logical, logical, commemorative) to the Commandments of the Law or adding a new table for typology.
  • Fifth, believe that in an ideal implementation, users could add a note that applied to the link (Bible word, clause, sentence, passage to a particular piece of data presented about it).

Now lets walk through what we would see in various senarios - 

Bible Person

• In C: the Bible Passage that you are studying
  • In A: select a name from the list of all people referenced in the passage. When you select the name, several things happen
    • The Bible text in C has a highlight pen style filter applied to all occurrences of the person
    • In B: The standard summary popup from Facebook appears together with the color assigned to the name in the filter. If the person fills a specific role in other data applying to the passage (e.g. speaker in Reported Speech or beneficiary in Miracles of the Bible or beholder in the Theophanies in the Bible), a button to show the subfacets is provided
    • One may repeat this process multiple times - each name receiving a unique color
  • Using the subfacets: If one expands the subfacets, if any, from the preceding and selects one of the detailed options, several things happen
    • All the highlight pen style in C for Biblical Person converts to underlines of the same color; the color key in B also reflects this switch
    • The occurrence of the Biblical Person within the Theophany is highlighted pen style
    • In D: the Theophany Interactive (or at least the data from the appropriate entry) opens in D.
  • Not certain but I suspect I would treat the artifacts (i.e. media) in a way that parallels subfacets but is separate from them.

Greek Grammar

• In A: from the facet list, select a grammatical feature that occurs in the passage under study. Several things happen:
    • In D: the appropriate Greek text is shown with, for example, all accusative nouns highlighted
    • In C: the associated nouns in English are also highlighted
    • In B: the definition of accusative + noun is given along with the highlight key

Notes:

1.  Class names should be provided for both declensions and conjugations
  2. A hierarchy of highlighting needs to be established so that part of speech, noun type, case, number, gender . . . can all be shown without obscuring each other.

Ancient Text

• In A: from the facet list, select Ancient Text which does:
    • In B: the standard Ancient Text list appears along with the capability to filter it by:
      • the portion of the passage it covers
      • corpus
      • reference type
      • author
      • work
  • In B: select a text - that text opens in D with the referenced portion highlighted but with the ability to scroll to see the text before and after

The intent is to make it possible to see all the data (including visualizations) in one cohesive form. One could choose a word and see it in the form of a Word Tree, or Bible Sense Lexicon tree, or with the relevant Clause search data from analysis view ... One could view Outlines, Pericope Comparisons, Parallel Passages (Gospels, Pauline, Jewish History) with your base text identified by a swath across the table.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 8:45 PM

off-topic, yet relevant:

Is High Quality Software Worth the Cost?

Posts 11057
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 7:21 AM

Lee:

off-topic, yet relevant:

Is High Quality Software Worth the Cost?

Good article.

It's true, I can't see the coding. And maybe this forum isn't your average customer ... many are/were in systems. But when you keep seeing certain types of Logos bugs, you quickly surmise how they happened. Which then points to the spec, plus 80% is ok. Then, the show-stoppers get fixed, but the customer avoids the almost-done result.  I can think of a whole series of examples.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 10754
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 9:47 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

What are the most important things we should solve for Logos 9?

• What general themes or areas should we focus on?
  • What bugs should we fix?
  • What improvements should we make to existing features?
  • What new features should we add?
  • What new data sets should we build?
  • What new books should we include?

I thought a bit over this. Probably I'm not your typical customer - I'm not a pastor or formally trained theologian. But I spend lots of money on Logos, and maybe there are other customers like me. I find that I read less and less in paper books, it's Logos app and the Kindle app on my mobile, and - much more frequently - Logos desktop and mainly Kindle cloud reader (Amazon's web app) on desktop. I'm happy with my two-monitor setup and the speed of Logos on my Acer Aspire F15 (not a high-end machine, but running on a SSD makes all the difference). No speed increases necessary for me, and no dark mode either. 

What would I want to see in Logos 9?

- Make the homepage worth wile for me again. It's usable, yes, but not likeable. Just that the tiles look like youtube when opening up before content is shown doesn't make it cool. Seeing screenshots from the L7 homepage ribbon, with all that functionality for lectionaries, daily devotionals (nothing really that big, but seeing the readings displayed or at least coming up on mouse over really made a difference. I bought an app for my phone to get the daily Moravian texts which I used to look at daily through Logos in L7 days. Or bring back the L7 ribbon as a Tool ("lectionary ribbon" or "daily devotional tool") for the standard view. If you were to do so, you could easily save on developer time and ditch the homepage altogether. I know you won't, because it's a shop-window into things we own, things we should explore and things we should buy from you - but then, this only works if people look into the window. I started Logos to the homepage and looked at it nearly daily in L7 times because of the ribbon. The tiles without functionality don't make me want to go there ever.   

- Find a way for community-sourced typo- and link corrections. This could work via shared notebooks or like the community tag - but it would make all the difference. Somehow Community Notes didn't take off, but "sharing" features are here - and users want to use them, want to see the resources in their libraries get better and better and want to feel acknowledged for spending many hours working at what in an ideal world you should be working on, but what realistically is beyond your ability to achieve - but not beyond our combined effort.  

- bring on every book the publishers you're working with are putting out on the market - especially the top books. Get contracts early and put the books up for pre-sale prior to them becoming available in other venues. Gauge your ability to produce Logos versions and let everything that is beyond your capability to build as a Logos edition come in as edition:eBook the same day it's available for Kindle. 

Those are the big three. Of course I'd like native support for liturgical dates (did you know that way more than 90% of protestant pastors in Germany preach from the lectionary - one not tied to any of the lectionaries supported by Logos) and a more functional UI for the PB tool. Workflows that are not restricted to one, but allow for multiple references (linked to a liturgical date, or a theme) would help. But those things we can work our way around.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What would make Logos 9 an irresistible upgrade for you?
See above, first bullet. First and second, if the price tag for upgrading is noticeable. I'd expect the third one to bring books that work under L8 as well.

If you want to rake in subscriptions, make PBs usable - if possible: shareable - on mobile and web for Connect subscribers. PBs are not so bad as Bob thinks. They allow you to tackle markets in foreign languages or theological traditions you are not able to serve alone. You know you can't produce the number of books the PB community churns out (and you can retain the right to revoke shared and/or mobile PBs that conflict with your own intentions of selling them, maybe even take over former PBs into your own program). 

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
If different, what should we do to win the next generation of new users?

Think hard about bringing features to the pad-sized mobile devices, either through beefed up apps for Android and whatever iPads run on, or - preferably - the web app. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3020
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 10:15 AM

NB.Mick:
PBs are not so bad as Bob thinks. They allow you to tackle markets in foreign languages or theological traditions you are not able to serve alone. You know you can't produce the number of books the PB community churns out (and you can retain the right to revoke shared and/or mobile PBs that conflict with your own intentions of selling them, maybe even take over former PBs into your own program). 

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 324
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 11:12 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What improvements should we make to existing features?

Reuben Helmuth:
Workflows still need a lot of work before they're truly useful.

I 100% agree that we need to be able to specify a collection in the Commentary section for Workflows (also see Uservoice).  Honestly, I guess I didn't read the fine print when I upgraded to Logos 8 - I assumed that this would obviously be possible and have been super disappointed that this omission hasn't been rectified.  For this feature, I definitely agree with Mark:

Mark Barnes:
I appreciate that to sell upgrades to Logos 9 you need something new, but I don't think that's what Logos needs right now.

I also strongly believe that the Sermon Editor should obviously be able to handle poetic formatting and would significantly benefit from a drag-and-drop interface.

Posts 873
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 1:07 PM

There seems to be some confusion here.  I copy and paste a lot of stuff.  And I like to have the footnotes in what I paste.  When I enable Copy Footnotes, Logos copies every abbreviation found in the text and then gives the explanation in the footer with the footnotes.  Every time the text has LXX, the footer will say LXX Septuagint.  Every abbreviated Bible version (e.g. NASB, NIV) will have that abbreviation plus its full title.  

These are not footnotes.  It is very time-consuming if I want to eliminate these. Logos exists to save users time in their work.  I hope you will fix this.

Page 7 of 35 (699 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS