Page 13 of 16 (304 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »
This post has 303 Replies | 27 Followers

Posts 533
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2021 4:35 PM

I normally run with 12 version comparison. And I set it up to "Horizontal Columns" which is my preference. To me... that is "near" to what WS had...

Text comparison is something I do all the time. Where I worship, people use different versions... and I like to know what they are reading. 

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 3
Tim Kirkes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2021 9:56 AM

I miss the ease and functionality of ZipScript

Posts 46
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2021 11:59 AM

I've kept ZipScript and use it to import versed into Word and PowerPoint. The verse copy feature works well in Logos for Word. You have to monkey around with formatting, when using PowerPoint, so I use ZipScript there.

Posts 3
Tim Kirkes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2021 12:43 PM

Instant Verse Study was also a favorite Wordseach feature of mine.

Posts 3
Tim Kirkes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2021 12:44 PM

Thanks for the input.

Posts 1
William ORourke | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2021 5:37 PM

I loved Word Search  and the very useful item I miss, and now waste much time by not having is the great convenience of Zip Script. I can  hardly wait until it becomes available in my Logos 8 software.

Posts 19430
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2021 8:47 PM

William ORourke:
I can  hardly wait until it becomes available in my Logos 8 software.

Welcome Big Smile

Logos 8 (& Verbum 8) are no longer supported (as of 3 Mar 2021) => https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007391412-About-Free-Support (so not anticipating any more Logos 8 & Verbum 8 software updates)

Suggest "purchasing" free Logos 9 Basic and/or Verbum 9 Basic for upgrading Logos 8 to Logos 9.

Faithlife feedback has 1 vote => add Zipscript application (surprising considering how many times Zipscript has been mentioned in this thread)

Caveat: new feedback website needs a separate login so please vote => Add the feedback website to the Faithlife SSO system that has 14 votes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 35
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2021 9:10 PM

William ORourke:

I loved Word Search  and the very useful item I miss, and now waste much time by not having is the great convenience of Zip Script. I can  hardly wait until it becomes available in my Logos 8 software.

Not sure about all this, but I still use Zip Script all the time. It loads each time I boot or reboot my computer and I have it load when I hold Alt and click Z. Here is a post using the feature.

Jn 3:16  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Posts 19430
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2021 10:48 PM

James H. Schafer:

William ORourke:

Not sure about all this, but I still use Zip Script all the time. It loads each time I boot or reboot my computer and I have it load when I hold Alt and click Z. Here is a post using the feature.

Jn 3:16  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

On macOS Big Sur 11.2.3, am Thankful for Text Service => Replace with Passage, so selected Php 4.4-8 followed by Replace with Passage:

94B1 Replace With Passage

FYI: for Faithlife forum discussions, personally use Opera web browser on macOS. Also could use my modified keyboard shortcut.

Philippians 4:4–8 (LEB)

Be Anxious for Nothing

4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice. 5 Let your gentleness be made known to all people. The Lord is near. 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are pleasing, whatever things are commendable, if there is any excellence of character and if anything praiseworthy, think about these things.

Thankful for Logos & Verbum being usable at the same time: Verbum has my demonstration library with order total of $ 0.00 while Logos has my purchased library. Replace with Passage text service copies Bible verse(s) from highest prioritized Bible (Lexham English Bible in Verbum & Complete Jewish Bible in Logos). Logos Replace with Passage of pp 4.4-8

Philippians 4:4–8 (1998:CJB)

4 Rejoice in union with the Lord always! I will say it again: rejoice! 5 Let everyone see how reasonable and gentle you are. The Lord is near! 6 Don’t worry about anything; on the contrary, make your requests known to God by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving. 7 Then God’s shalom, passing all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds safe in union with the Messiah Yeshua. 8 In conclusion, brothers, focus your thoughts on what is true, noble, righteous, pure, lovable or admirable, on some virtue or on something praiseworthy.

Caveat: MS Word recent update is unfriendly to Text Services => Insert/replace Scripture reference in Word on a Mac no longer working while Messages needs additional paste => Replace with Passage (Logos) service not working for Logos 9.3.0.0040 in MacOS Big Sur 11.2.1's iMessage app

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 612
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 2:06 PM

I really enjoy how the cross-reference explorer is set up. I like being able to see all the books to the left that has search results and and I like being able to select which one to read. 

I don't have to open a new window to read the result. I can read the result right inside of the cross reference explorer and copy information from it inside the current window without having to open the book in a new window.

It just seems to be more intuitive to my way of working. 

In Logos I have to open every result in a new window just to be able to read over it before I can decide if I want to copy or paste it in my document or not. That extra step gets tedious if your reading over 10 or 20 or 50 search results. 

I would like to be able to make the selection in Logos for how my search results appear. If I could I would select for them to appear just like they currently do in the Wordsearch cross reference explorer. 

Thank You 

Pastor Jesse Blevins 

Posts 5561
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2021 1:15 AM

Hi Jesse

Any chance of posting a screenshot of your Wordsearch Panel so that we can see if it is possible to replicate it?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 612
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2021 8:56 PM

Mike Binks:

Hi Jesse

Any chance of posting a screenshot of your Wordsearch Panel so that we can see if it is possible to replicate it?

I am struggling with uploading a picture but here is a link to a short video explaining how to use the cross reference: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYHYzmuMtHY

Thank you for your response to my post. 

Posts 612
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2021 9:01 PM

Wordsearch Bible

Posts 612
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2021 9:05 PM

You can copy from the search results without even clicking on the open in new window tab which saves me time. 

You can also see all of the books that search results are found in by scrolling down the page. 

Currently in Logos you have to click through pages to see all of the results. 

I just find it to be quicker and more intuitive for me, especially when I select to search all books.  

Posts 25341
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2021 12:07 AM

As I believe has been suggested previously the Cited By Tool is the closest to this in Logos

You can scroll down and see where the reference is mentioned and see the first part of what the resource says about it

You can right click on the small arrow at the top of each section heading and Copy the text of what is shown

Clicking each result will open the linked resource in a separate window.

As I say its not the same but it might help a little

Posts 5
Scott Hoagland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2021 8:10 AM

This was something my wife wrote about WS. If anyone has any workarounds or suggestions, Please let me know. 

Things I miss about WordSearch

1. It was intuitive. WordSearch was user friendly and easy to figure out. Tools were clearly labeled and easy to find. No searching for instructions or tutorials to figure it out. Open and start using.
  2. It created a study or devotional layout without difficultly. A simple to find tab for setting up a layout from a template, from a current layout, or from a blank layout so I could make it exactly like I wanted. No searching for instructions or tutorials to figure it out.
  3. It kept my place. When I reopened a layout, it picked up where I left off, instead of where I set up the layout. No searching for instructions or tutorials to figure out how to make it do that.
  4. It opened one Bible chapter at a time. Scrolling through a chapter with a scroll wheel or using the scroll bar was easier because it was not scrolling the entire Bible, just one chapter. Simple arrow tabs went to the next chapter.
  5. It had a verse highlighter for tracking. The selected verse was highlighted, as well as the same verse in any parallel versions, to make it easy to see where I was and find the corresponding verse in the parallel version. The scroll wheel function took the highlighter to the next verse.
  6. It had a simple Bible drop-down tab. A window with the current scripture reference and a drop-down arrow to select a new book. Book selection went to a window for chapter selection, which went to a window for verse selection. Simple point-and-click to find a specific verse in any layout.
  7. It had parallel versions. It opened side by side views of multiple translations that stayed synched for easy comparison. Translations abbreviations linked to a drop-down menu to switch between any translation in the library.
  8. It was not so complex that it took weeks of study to figure out how to use it. Streamlined and straightforward.
Posts 386
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2021 8:35 AM

These are a great list of areas Logos would very much benefit from focusing on. So much in Logos is very unintuitive. Layouts not having even an option to remember where you left off is head scratching and favorites/bookmarks are also very user unfriendly. Reading books is core functionality, yet something Logos manages to way overcomplicate.

Posts 35
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2021 11:02 AM

Very observant and clearly stated. Thanks!!

Posts 19430
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2021 1:59 PM

Scott Hoagland:
1. It was intuitive. WordSearch was user friendly and easy to figure out. Tools were clearly labeled and easy to find. No searching for instructions or tutorials to figure it out. Open and start using.

Ongoing desktop application annoyance is Click & Wait (non intuitive).  Thankful for Docs, Guides, and Tools having "Find" (at top of menu) as list of items can be long:

94B2 Tools Menu

Not obvious is Library, Docs, Guides, & Tools menu size can be changed by dragging an edge.

Hovering mouse over "Close All" button does not have a pop-up so created thread => Bug: 9.4 Beta 2 Close All does not have a tool tip pop-up

Scott Hoagland:
2. It created a study or devotional layout without difficultly. A simple to find tab for setting up a layout from a template, from a current layout, or from a blank layout so I could make it exactly like I wanted. No searching for instructions or tutorials to figure it out.

Logos & Verbum desktop applications have a Layout menu, which has QuickStart Layouts (includes Devotional & Study Bible)

94B2 Layouts Quickstart Devotional Study

Scott Hoagland:
3. It kept my place. When I reopened a layout, it picked up where I left off, instead of where I set up the layout. No searching for instructions or tutorials to figure out how to make it do that.

Concur layout design remembers location when created OR updated (has keyboard shortcut)

94B2 Layout Update Active

Program Settings has Startup Open option to automatically pick up where left off (closing application saves current location into a layout)

94B2 Program Settings Layout

Scott Hoagland:
4. It opened one Bible chapter at a time. Scrolling through a chapter with a scroll wheel or using the scroll bar was easier because it was not scrolling the entire Bible, just one chapter. Simple arrow tabs went to the next chapter.

Locator bar has Navigation options, which has clickable arrows for previous & next:

94B2 Locator Bar Navigation

In a Bible, an Article = one Chapter.

Scott Hoagland:
5. It had a verse highlighter for tracking. The selected verse was highlighted, as well as the same verse in any parallel versions, to make it easy to see where I was and find the corresponding verse in the parallel version.

Corresponding ... options enable choice of how many word(s) for corresponding highlighting.

94B2 Corresponding Selection

Screen shot does not show under Corresponding Words that Same Lemma and Same Root are checked. Opened New Living Translation (NLT) with visual filters unchecked followed by click on "praises" in Psalm 150:6 so many corresponding words were highlighted in many verses:

94B2 Corresponding Word Praise

Searching for Milestone causes verse(s) to be highlighted: e.g. {Milestone <ps150.3-4>} as does Right Click on word(s) with Reference selected.

94B2 Bible Search Milestone

FYI: Chapter & verse numbering are relatively recent additions (~500 years ago), which in a number of places does not match original language sentence boundary. For example, Philippians 4:5 is in the middle of a Greek sentence. Disappointed by quotes of Philippians 4:6-7 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to יהוה God. And the peace of יהוה God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." that leaves out "The יהוה Lord is near" reason for not being anxious about anything.

Scott Hoagland:
6. It had a simple Bible drop-down tab. A window with the current scripture reference and a drop-down arrow to select a new book. Book selection went to a window for chapter selection, which went to a window for verse selection. Simple point-and-click to find a specific verse in any layout.

Faithlife Feedback => Add Bible Book, Chapter, Verse selector to Locator Bar for Navigation has 6 votes, which could have similar ideas => Drop-down list when changing Bible chapters/verses with 2 votes plus => bible book, chapter & verse selection with 1 vote merged.

Faithlife mobile apps have Book, Chapter, Verse picker. Desktop applications can use Table of Contents in a Bible for clicking Book & Chapter (albeit may need to scroll OR collapse previously expanded Books). Thankful can change location using abbreviated Bible book (2 or 3 characters) followed by chapter # (period) verse # for quick typing: e.g. ss2.4 (for Song of Songs 2:4). Also Thankful can type word(s) in pericope(s) for drop-down list of pericope location(s).

Caveat: new feedback website needs a separate login so please vote => Add the feedback website to the Faithlife SSO system that has 15 votes.

Scott Hoagland:
7. It had parallel versions. It opened side by side views of multiple translations that stayed synched for easy comparison. Translations abbreviations linked to a drop-down menu to switch between any translation in the library.

Two options for syncing location changes is 1) Link Set(s) and 2) Multiview Resources

94B2 Bible Link Set Multiview

Left side of screen shot shows three Bibles in Link Set A. Changing Bible location in any of the linked tabs causes location update to be sent to all other tabs in the link set. Bibles & Bible Commentaries can be linked. Caveat: Bible Commentaries that do not have a comment for every verse can cause Link Set surprise location jumps: verse sent to Bible Commentary that does not have that verse results in location change to next Chapter/Verse in that Bible Commentary, which is then sent to the other resources linked together.

Right side of screen shot shows Multiview Resources where the primary resource *left most" is the location master. Secondary resources follow the Primary's location change plus can be scrolled without changing Primary's location: e.g. Lexham Hebrew Bible is Psalm 150 (Primary) while Lexham English Bible (LEB) is Psalm 149 (Secondary)

94B2 Multiview Scrolling

Scott Hoagland:
8. It was not so complex that it took weeks of study to figure out how to use it. Streamlined and straightforward.

Concur Logos & Verbum applications have a learning curve for effective use. Thankful for many friendly forum & Faithlife discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn. My favorite Logos & Verbum feature is visual filter highlighting that can combine thousands of search results for simultaneous display. Logos Wiki => Extended Tips for Highlighting and Visual Filters includes:

FYI: every verse in Psalm 150 has a command (Imperative OR Jussive) to Praise God! Hallelujah! is a command to Praise God!

Thankful for thread => Wordsearch-Logos Equivalent Features while noticing Logos & Verbum have many more features & capabilities than Wordsearch. For original language word navigation & study, Logos & Verbum use lemma's (dictionary spelling) instead of Strong's numbering of lemma's (useful in the Bible, but lacks lemma numbers for other original language resources).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 33777
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2021 2:30 PM

Scott Hoagland:
. If anyone has any workarounds or suggestions, Please let me know. 

This is not a rebuttal - simply a different perspective. Whatever software you are familiar with is always going to feel more intuitive. When I got my father Quickverse to replace his software that no longer ran, I had trouble figuring out how to open a specific Bible to a specific verse.  When you are trying to convince a retired rancher in his mid-nineties that the new software is as manageable as what he had, that was embarrassing.

Need instructions for save a layout? I don't see how it could be much easier that click the layout menu, name current layout. But, years in IT with the same two peers taught me something very important. BP need videos, instruction, or documentation for every tool; I would get bored partway through the first lesson and simply jump in and try it ... figuring out problems as I went along. GP simply waited until BP and myself were comfortable with the tool, start using it and depend on us to answer any questions. The pattern never changed in 20 years. The degree to which people need to search for instructions and tutorials is only partially a reflection of the software. It is more a reflection of one's learning style.

One chapter at a time? I would be screaming bloody-murder. I hate the arbitrary chapter-verse divisions and adamantly demand that I can see any resource in a unit based on sense and logic. My point is that one person's favorite feature may be another person's biggest design flaw. Neither person is "right" and it would be very appropriate to ask for a feature that allowed you to request a passage and not scroll continuously. I can see that being very useful in some settings were Logos is being projected on a screen for all to see.

The fact that Wordsearch remained streamlined and lacked features that it's competitors had is probably a factor in its downfall. Yes, the fact that Logos has features that are used primarily by academicians makes complexity that the lay person and the seminarian student will never need. But much of it is hidden because you lack the resources that support it. The trick is to keep your focus on what you need to achieve what you want to do.  For example, both the keeping one's place and the parallel versions are available in Logos. Yes, go ahead and try to find instructions - but don't waste your time on it. Come to the forums and ask. If you've found a way to do something that is slow or awkward or otherwise annoying, come to the forums to ask if there is a better way.

And don't forget to acknowledge that changing software for a familiar task is always going to be a frustrating, annoying task ... until the new software becomes what you are most familiar with.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 13 of 16 (304 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last » | RSS