Working Reinstall of Libronix 3.0(g) Not Possible and Ethics and Logos Legacy Software

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 16
Mike Sutherland | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 21 2021 10:42 AM

Thank you in advance for your help. Is there anyone on this forum or at Logos that has access to a full stand alone (offline) version of Libronix 3.0? I found a link on one of the forum posts to a zip file, but the link appears to be dead. The link is:

ftp://ftp.logos.com/ldls/Zip/LibronixDLS-3.0g.zip

I had a Windows 7 Professional X64 hard drive issue and had to buy a new hard drive. Upon attempting to reload Libronix it would not install until after several attempts were made to install it. There appeared to be an issue with .Net Framework version 3.5 not being installed. Libronix was finally installed from Logos Bible Software Series X Disc A. After doing a license restore, I tried to load all the resources from the many discs I have bought over the years. The Location Manager said that the books/resources were being copied to the default resources folder. Yet when I went to do a Basic search, the resources would show up in the resources dialog box, but nothing happened when a link was clicked in the results box. Also, every time when a Bible search was attempted Libronix would generate the following error:

Line 687 (SearchBible.html): Invalid argument.
Shell: "lbxfile:C:%5CProgram%20Files%20%28x86%29%5CLibronix%20DLS%5CCommon%5CLDLS%5CShells%5CLDLS-en" [en-US] 2002-01-04T21:28:09Z
Addin: "BibleTools" 2002-01-04T21:13:52Z
IE: 9.11.9600.19596 0
Windows: SP1 (6.1.7601.1.0)

I attempted numerous updates and numerous restarts of the Libronix app with the same results. The pull down menu in the Bible search box would show All Bibles/ All unlocked Bibles, but there was no option to select a specific Bible version for the search. For some reason, every time I tried to perform a Bible search the search term “jewel” was in the search dialog box. The Copy Verses function seemed to work well because I inserted numerous verses into a test WordPerfect document. After Libronix was installed and updating attempted, the Help/About Libronix function showed my Libronix version to be 1.0b. That did not seem right to me.

I cannot afford to upgrade to Windows 10 or buy a new computer. That is the push by the Logos web site and its employees. It is all about the money. All I need is access to a full stand alone (offline) version of Libronix 3.0(g?) so that I can restore to an operating condition the software that I have paid for. I am on a limited bandwidth connection to the internet and software that requires me to connect to the internet every time I use it will not work for me. I have tried the later versions of Logos and do not like them. The Logos policy in recent years of requiring legacy users to connect to the internet is not part of the licensing agreement that was provided with the software they purchased especially when Logos takes down resources that would allow a legacy user to restore their software to the as purchased condition when they have a hardware or software crash. I do not want to hear that it is about the technical support because that is not true. If backups of legacy Logos installation/operating software (not resources) were made available as downloads, the average user of Logos would be able to restore their software to an operating condition without technical support and without buying new Logos software (Therein lies the problem.). Also, the issue is not about the server/storage space for the legacy installation software (not resources). It is doubtful that the installation/operating software for all Logos software packages since its inception would total 2 Gigabytes. I realize that Logos is a money making business. In the case of legacy software and legacy users, Logos has made an arbitrary, money driven decision that is designed to make legacy users buy new software. It may look deceptively good at some desired bottom line for Logos, but it is a short-sighted decision that is unethical, immoral, and unfair to its legacy users. Furthermore, how does the Logos policy affect the poor or those on limited incomes? For me personally, the effect of the Logos policy concerning legacy software is to take from me the software that I paid for. That is not right. Another problem related to this issue is that I emailed both Logos customer support and Logos technical support over two weeks ago and have not heard back from them. Every time I talk or chat with a Logos representative they are pushing me to buy new software and/or hardware. That is not, and should not be, the answer here.

Posts 595
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2021 12:07 PM

Mike,

Please stop the rant against Logos.

On Nov 18th 2009 Faithlfe released 3.0G to offer compatibility with windows 7

On Oct 1st 2017 Faithlife deactivated the server to activate installations, they posted a warning they were going to do this on July 10th 2017

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/146796.aspxcom

The main thing is that you back up you license file, without that I don't know how you would go about doing a install from scratch.

I have a complete backup of all the Libronix files as well as the 3-0g Installation files

Let me know if I can be of help

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2021 12:35 PM

Mike Sutherland:
For me personally, the effect of the Logos policy concerning legacy software is to take from me the software that I paid for.

I have had to live without two favorite programs for years due to changes in technology - Houdini and Brackets. It is possible to keep old software running it you know enough about the operating systems and drivers to be able to keep them old enough to be compatible. Faithlife regularly announces when support for a product is stopped. See ANNOUNCE: Discontinuation of Libronix Services - Faithlife Forums (logos.com) for one possible cause of your problems. About Free Support – Logos Help Center is another source of information.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19594
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2021 10:42 PM

Mike Sutherland:
I had a Windows 7 Professional X64 hard drive issue and had to buy a new hard drive.

Welcome Big Smile

Thankful for upgrading internal hard drives in a couple older Windows laptops to solid state disk (SSD), which is noticeably faster in all programs.

Mike Sutherland:

I cannot afford to upgrade to Windows 10 ...

Thankful for Microsoft allowing a valid Windows 7 product key to be usable for free Windows 10 installation (silently extended "free" upgrade).

Logos Wiki => Logos Downloads Archive includes:

After 14 Jan 2020 Windows 7 “end-of-life”, Logos 8 (re)install could not download a required file so a forum reply by Faithlife included Microsoft TLS 1.2 update link along with Unsupported & NOT recommended Logos 8.11 msi links.

Mike Sutherland:
I am on a limited bandwidth connection to the internet and software that requires me to connect to the internet every time I use it will not work for me.

Thankful for newer Logos & Verbum preferences having "Use Internet" that can be set to NO. Caveat: internet connection is needed to validate Faithlife account and download licenses & resources for initial installation (can change "Use Internet" to NO after initial setup & can use scan command to copy resources from a backup into Logos/Verbum installation followed by indexing).

Mike Sutherland:
For me personally, the effect of the Logos policy concerning legacy software is to take from me the software that I paid for.

Microsoft removed Windows 7 downloadable files after "end of life" last year. Thankful for Faithlife Corporation supporting legacy Windows 7 until Microsoft "end of life". FYI: Logos 8.11 was released on 4 Feb 2020.

Thankful for Faithlife Corporation providing free software upgrades from Libronix 3.0g that included years ago syncing Libronix licenses showing up in Logos 4, which updated many resources from older Digital Library System format into Logos4 format that is still being supported.

Bobby Terhune:

On Oct 1st 2017 Faithlife deactivated the server to activate installations, they posted a warning they were going to do this on July 10th 2017

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/146796.aspx

Forum thread discussion mentions deactivation of ftp.logos.com followed several years of being unusable due to Microsoft security upgrades: Libronix 3.0g could not connect to Faithlife servers since did not have old program code to handle newer TLS 1.2 security handshaking. Logos Wiki => Logos Release History shows Logos 4, Logos 5, and Logos 6 became 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 16
Mike Sutherland | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 7:49 AM
This message is for Bobby Terhune. Thank you for your follow up. You stated that you have a complete backup of all the Libronix files as well as the 3-0g Installation files. At the very minimum I need the full 3.0g installation files. I have all my licenses backed up and have used them in trying to restore Libronix to working order with no success. All of my resources copy to the resources folder, but they cannot be used because of program errors. Here is a list of the discs that I have:   Logos 2.0: 2 Discs File dates June 1996 Logos 2.1b: 4 Discs one of which is a video File dates July 1997 Logos Series X: 6 Discs one of which is a video File dates January 2002 Logos Series X NIV: 1 Disc File dates January 2002 Nelson’s Electronic Bible Reference Library Deluxe Edition: 2 Discs File dates May 1997 Ephesians Four Bible Study Library File dates January 1997   That is a total of 16 Discs. After I restore licenses, the Logos program that is crashing will import all of the unlocked resources into the resources folder. I checked and they were all there.The only one of those that will install the basic Libronix program is the Series X Disc A Software. The rest are 16 bit applications I assume. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit. Can you make all the files that you have available to me so that I can download them? I have all the receipts, account numbers, and install codes/serial numbers available if you need them. Another question, what version of Microsoft .Net Framework does Logos 3.0g require?   Thank you for your help.
Posts 16
Mike Sutherland | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 6:13 AM

Bobby, have you been able to locate the complete backup of all the Libronix files as well as the Libronix 3.0g installation files you have? I have still had no success in getting Libronix to run correctly. It has been installed and uninstalled several times now and is still generating exactly the same error. The error is an "Invalid Argument" (Shell) error in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Libronix DLS\Common\LDLS\Shells\LDLS-en.lbxshl
C:\Program Files (x86)\Libronix DLS\Common\LDLS\Addins\BibleTools.lbxadd

What is odd about this error is that the Addins folder is actually identified as Addin in the error code. Addin does not actually exist. Here is the error code:

Line 716 (SearchBible.html): Invalid argument.
Shell: "lbxfile:C:%5CProgram%20Files%20%28x86%29%5CLibronix%20DLS%5CCommon%5CLDLS%5CShells%5CLDLS-en" [en-US] 2002-01-04T21:28:09Z
Addin: "BibleTools" 2002-01-04T21:13:52Z
IE: 8.0.7601.24000 0
Windows: SP1 (6.1.7601.1.0)

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Posts 16
Mike Sutherland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 6:22 AM

Bobby, can Logos Series X Disc "A" be used to do a clean, fresh install of Libronix or is it just an update that could be missing some files that it assumes are already installed?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS