Journals: The poor cousin that few seem to care about any more!

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 11:00 AM

Way cool. Thanks!

Posts 30
David Dewberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 5:36 PM

here's another vote for the journals.

Posts 2269
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2012 7:21 PM

The journals are the reason I have logos.  It's value is unmatched by any other resource.  When libronix was axed, Logos took over the journals.  Everything changed when L4 came.  Companies no longer could produce materials and sell it in the libronix format.  Galaxie has not produced any journals since L4 came out.   It is really a surprise to hear Bob suggest that the journals are the work of Galaxie.  All resources are now in the control of logos, including the journals. 

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 12:29 AM

David Dewberry:

here's another vote for the journals.

Yes. Me too

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 12:42 AM

My forum friends,

You all speak my language and share my passion for journals. I agree with what has been said here regarding the value of journals, and I also share your desire for these vital tools for research.

I want you to know that I am doing what I can to get the very best in Biblical scholarship for all of you. I read the forums daily (and try to answer as many questions that I can), and take note of all that you ask for. I want you to know that I do all that is within my power to make sure Logos is on the cutting edge of biblical scholarship.

Keep requesting and making suggestions, I am listening. Smile

Cliff

Posts 1757
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 1:13 AM

Clifford Kvidahl:
My forum friends,

You all speak my language and share my passion for journals.

Thank you, Cliff

It does help to know we are being heard.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 3:06 AM

Clifford Kvidahl:
want you to know that I do all that is within my power to make sure Logos is on the cutting edge of biblical scholarship.

Is it within your power to tell us a little bit about what we can expect in regard to the release of the last volume of Galaxie Journals and also an update to Themelios?  I appreciate BAR is more complicated.  What about other journals?  As much as I appreciate your response and I do believe Logos reads these forums, you haven't said anything in specific about anything. I appreciate there may be commercial issues at stake here, but something, even a hint of something possibly to come would be welcomed when it is within your or Logo's power to do so.

Sorry to be a persistent student, but a half of a year late on Galaxie, I feel its time for the Logos users who do care about journals to do some knocking at the door.

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 3:38 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Is it within your power to tell us a little bit about what we can expect in regard to the release of the last volume of Galaxie Journals and also an update to Themelios?  I appreciate BAR is more complicated.  What about other journals?  As much as I appreciate your response and I do believe Logos reads these forums, you haven't said anything in specific about anything. I appreciate there may be commercial issues at stake here, but something, even a hint of something possibly to come would be welcomed when it is within your or Logo's power to do so.

Sorry to be a persistent student, but a half of a year late on Galaxie, I feel its time for the Logos users who do care about journals to do some knocking at the door.

Reluctantly I must say I totally agree with the sentiments expressed in your post. Previously we were informed that Logos was working on it, that a problem was discovered before it shipped last time. So I think you have been quite patient and reasonable about this. Hopefully Logos will be able to ship this Journal sooner rather than later. The long wait continues though!Smile

Regards

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 356
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 8:12 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
I feel its time for the Logos users who do care about journals to do some knocking at the door.

Knocking!!! YesYesYes

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 11:08 AM

Clifford Kvidahl:
Keep requesting and making suggestions, I am listening.

Glad to know that you are listening; however, your post has told us nothing. We have multiple posts in at least two threads, but no information as to when these journals may be coming—or even solid assurance that they will ever come.

We hear that Logos is producing them; then Bob says he thinks Galaxie is doing them. Does anybody there know what is actually happening?

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 12:11 PM

Jack Caviness:

Clifford Kvidahl:
Keep requesting and making suggestions, I am listening.

Glad to know that you are listening; however, your post has told us nothing. We have multiple posts in at least two threads, but no information as to when these journals may be coming—or even solid assurance that they will ever come.

We hear that Logos is producing them; then Bob says he thinks Galaxie is doing them. Does anybody there know what is actually happening?

Jack,

All that I know is is that when received the files they were in pretty bad condition. We have a certain standard we expect for our resources and a standard our users do as well. In the condition we received them, it would have been irresponsible for us to release them. Now, I am not talking about a few pages in a few journals. The condition was bad throughout the whole collection, which caused us to have to in a sense start from scratch. This takes time, and unfortunately for you it means a significant delay, for which I apologize.

As for Themelios, I will check on that  as well. My gut feeling is that we might wait for more volumes to be published before we can get an update. Or, it may be that because Themelios is published online, we may have to wait a certain number of years until we can get the rights. Either way I will see if I can get a more definitive answer.

I hope this helps. I can only give so much information, and I am sorry that sometimes is seems that I am being vague.

Cliff

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 12:41 PM

Clifford Kvidahl:
The condition was bad throughout the whole collection, which caused us to have to in a sense start from scratch. This takes time, and unfortunately for you it means a significant delay, for which I apologize.

Sorry to press the issue, but I believe Logos and students would benefit from some clarity on this. How significant delay is significant? Months? Years? What changed from previous years and could this be avoided? Why could Galaxie as a small entity could handle this on their own in previous years and Logos can't?  Has there been a significant change in this data?  Please help us understand beyond generalities if you are able to given your commercial constraints. At least from where I stand, we were better off at least in terms of end users when Galaxie had sole control of this project.

I don't know anything about publishing, but on the Themelios website it says:

'Themelios is published three times a year exclusively online at The Gospel Coalition. It is presented in two formats:PDF (for downloading and citing pagination) and HTML (for greater accessibility, usability, and infiltration in search engines). Themelios is copyrighted by The Gospel Coalition. Readers are free to use it and circulate it in digital form without further permission (any print use requires further written permission), but they must acknowledge the source and, of course, not change the content.'

Does this imply that Logos should be able to distribute Themelios in digital format and tag it as long as they acknowledge the source, or do you need further permission?  Is Themelios even on the radar for Logos?  Students really benefit from journals being updated regularly. This was one of the most commendable things that Galaxie did.. they cranked on their journals almost like clockwork. Yet under the management of Logos with it's huge engine of resources, things seem to have become worse.  After being months late, it leaves us to question whether or not journals are really valued any more. (Hence this thread)

What about BAR?  Any chance we could see this relationship between Logos and BAR renewed?

I'm not just being persistent because I want to question motives or the hard work of Logos. I am being persistent because I genuinely believe students all over the world will benefit from these resources being accessible in Bible software formats. Sorry if this seems personal. It isn't. I'm pushing for whatever clarity you or Logos can give on this matter as I think our studies in general will benefit.  If this is all the information you have, it is concerning and does make me wonder if anyone really knows what is going on. Thanks for hearing me/us out. I hope you read this in the spirit of grace and humility that I intend it.  I genuinely hope we can see a better day for journals.

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 2:05 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Clifford Kvidahl:
The condition was bad throughout the whole collection, which caused us to have to in a sense start from scratch. This takes time, and unfortunately for you it means a significant delay, for which I apologize.

Sorry to press the issue, but I believe Logos and students would benefit from some clarity on this. How significant delay is significant? Months? Years? What changed from previous years and could this be avoided? Why could Galaxie as a small entity could handle this on their own in previous years and Logos can't?  Has there been a significant change in this data?  Please help us understand beyond generalities if you are able to given your commercial constraints. At least from where I stand, we were better off at least in terms of end users when Galaxie had sole control of this project.

I don't know anything about publishing, but on the Themelios website it says:

'Themelios is published three times a year exclusively online at The Gospel Coalition. It is presented in two formats:PDF (for downloading and citing pagination) and HTML (for greater accessibility, usability, and infiltration in search engines). Themelios is copyrighted by The Gospel Coalition. Readers are free to use it and circulate it in digital form without further permission (any print use requires further written permission), but they must acknowledge the source and, of course, not change the content.'

Does this imply that Logos should be able to distribute Themelios in digital format and tag it as long as they acknowledge the source, or do you need further permission?  Is Themelios even on the radar for Logos?  Students really benefit from journals being updated regularly. This was one of the most commendable things that Galaxie did.. they cranked on their journals almost like clockwork. Yet under the management of Logos with it's huge engine of resources, things seem to have become worse.  After being months late, it leaves us to question whether or not journals are really valued any more. (Hence this thread)

What about BAR?  Any chance we could see this relationship between Logos and BAR renewed?

I'm not just being persistent because I want to question motives or the hard work of Logos. I am being persistent because I genuinely believe students all over the world will benefit from these resources being accessible in Bible software formats. Sorry if this seems personal. It isn't. I'm pushing for whatever clarity you or Logos can give on this matter as I think our studies in general will benefit.  If this is all the information you have, it is concerning and does make me wonder if anyone really knows what is going on. Thanks for hearing me/us out. I hope you read this in the spirit of grace and humility that I intend it.  I genuinely hope we can see a better day for journals.

Donovan,

Unfortunately, a lot of these questions I just cannot answer. Not because I do not want to, but rather because I do not have the answer. The process of getting resources up on Logos goes through many steps and many different departments. I am only a small part of the whole thing, so I do not know the specifics of say contractual restrictions (i.e. how long must Logos wait before they can offer say Themelios?). Because I was a student who relied heavily on journals, I know how important they are for research. But even schools face this problem as well. For example, say you are home doing a paper and you need the latest issue of a journal that has the best article for your paper. You go online to search for it, only to find that the library is a year or more behind in what they currently carry for online access. This is not the libraries doing, but the publisher's restriction on how soon a library must wait for online access. This is frustrating, I know! It has happened to me more than I like. I am not saying this is the case with Themelios; I am only offering a possible solution based on the very limited knowledge I have when it comes to contracts. I will indeed ask about Themelios and other journals, but that is all that I have the power to do.

I hope this better helps you understand my position. We all care here at Logos about what our users want. But sometimes there are situations that are out of our control, and when this is the case we go as far as we can to get the very best for you all. Sometimes we can, other times we cannot.

Cliff

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:38 AM

I understand commercial, contractual and other reasons make these things very complicated. My hope was that someone on behalf of Logos who had the overall picture could comment on the future of journals in Logos.  Someone in management surely has this sort of overview?  I can't believe Logos is a big machine that just operates with parts that no one trouble shoots or has an overview to insure that it achieves what it needs to get done to achieve its objectives.

I'll stop knocking for now. I appreciate you have given all the information that you have.  If you obtain more, it would be nice to hear it. While I don't doubt your intention, some of the frustration in this and at least two other threads is that there has been very little communicated on this type of product which leaves us as users to speculate what their exact state is in the big Logos machine.

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 3:41 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
 I can't believe Logos is a big machine that just operates with parts that no one trouble shoots or has an overview to insure that it achieves what it needs to get done to achieve its objectives.

This type of situation can only be resolved with input from Bob Pritchett. Does anyone at Logos know what is going on? Is the company now going it so many directions that important projects have been lost in the process?

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 7:54 AM

Clifford Kvidahl:

All that I know is is that when received the files they were in pretty bad condition. We have a certain standard we expect for our resources and a standard our users do as well. In the condition we received them, it would have been irresponsible for us to release them. Now, I am not talking about a few pages in a few journals. The condition was bad throughout the whole collection, which caused us to have to in a sense start from scratch. This takes time, and unfortunately for you it means a significant delay, for which I apologize.

Clifford,

Reading your comment above (I am sure it is not with ill intention), it gives readers like myself a very bad impression that Galaxie has given you the source materials in a "pretty bad condition", which may or may not be fair to Galaxie.

So, curious about what you mean by "pretty bad condition" vs all the journals that Galaxie has produced over the years that many of us come to appreciate. If the source material is similar to what they have been producing in the past, I think your above comment appears a little too hush to pass the bug totally to Galaxie.

There are things that has changed, including moving from L3 to L4, as well as the process of Logos becoming the sole digital content publisher (for good reason) that could have resulted in the current situation.

Suggestion:

I appreciate you are planning to do a total revamp of Galaxie's Collection of Journals, ... I am sure Logos would have some preliminary assessment on the time line, whether it is in weeks, months or years, vs. the impression I read here as ... no idea.

a) If that is going to take a long time, like another year or two, or if decision is not even made; can you consider to produce the latest journal in the same format as previous journals from Galaxie. So that all of us can have access to the latest journals on pre-pub, those people who have Libronix can still use the topic browser to search for articles in the journals for the mean time, until the grand revamp for journal is finalized.

b) If the revamp is going to be done in the next few weeks or months, I suppose it make sense to wait it out.

Thanks for opportunity to share a piece of my mind and sorry if I have over simplified the issue :-)

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 8:26 AM

LimJK:

Clifford Kvidahl:

Clifford,

Reading your comment above (I am sure it is not with ill intention), it gives readers like myself a very bad impression that Galaxie has given you the source materials in a "pretty bad condition", which may or may not be fair to Galaxie.

Where does Clifford say they came form Galaxie?

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 9:03 AM

Randal M Lane:

Where does Clifford say they came form Galaxie?

We all know that source of TJL Vol 1 to 14 comes from Galaxie, do some googling :-)

http://www.galaxie.com/bible-study-resources

Bible Study Resources

We've been producing CD-ROMS with Theological Journals, commentaries, church history and other religious works since 1994. Our resources are available for Logos Bible Software, Wordsearch/Bible Explorer, and Accordance Bible Software.  Below is a list of what's available:

Theological Journals

• Theological Journal Library Volumes 1-5 (250 volumes/years of journals)
  • Theological Journal Library Volumes 1-10 (500 volumes/years of journals)
  • Theological Journal Library Volume 11
  • Theological Journal Library Volume 12
  • Theological Journal Library Volume 13
  • Theological Journal Library Volume 14
  • Bibliotheca Sacra Volumes 1-90
  • Bible and Spade Collection

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 9:35 AM

Let me add my voice to the crowd wanting more attention given to journals.  Something I'd love to see is ATLA listings in the MyPassageGuide, similar to the sermons section.  Even better would be a browser capability in Logos so that if I clicked on one of the ATLA links or a sermon link, instead of switching to my desktop browser it would open the page up directly inside Logos. 

Maybe in L6...

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 2595
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 10:21 AM

I'm not sure what part of the responsibility of the journals being behind belong Logos.  Here is an email correspondence I had with Biblical Archaeology Review a year ago.

I did follow up at the beginning of this year - but never received a response.  I will call this week and post the reply.

To: "mdolfan@sbcglobal.net" <mdolfan@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Wed, July 13, 2011 3:19:46 PM
Subject: RE: Biblical Archaeology Review on CD

Dear Mr. Quick,

Unfortunately, although we would like to update the Archives for a CD-Rom, we are at a point where the

economic conditions prevent us from following through on this project at this time.

We have had to focus on the online Library and we also have the digital editions of BAR from 2011 that have taken

priority for this year.

We are hoping that conditions improve for 2012 and that we can find an alternative for the Archive CDs updates.

If you can give me a call after the start of the New Year, I might have some updates on this project.

Regards,

Anne Barasso

Biblical Archaeology Society

anne@bib-arch.org

1.800.221.4644 x 202

Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:14 PM
To: Anne
Subject: FW: Biblical Archaeology Review on CD

Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:10 PM
To: Info
Subject: Biblical Archaeology Review on CD

Are there any plans to update the BAR Archive CD?  The archive ends in 2005 and I am frequently not in a place where I would have Internet to access the BAS Library.  Therefore, if possible I would really like to see the archive updated.

Thanks,
Ron Quick

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS