Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 4:09 AM

Just released, an exerpt form the upcoming NIV 2015:

Ephesians 5:22-33 (NIV 2015) 

22 Spouses, submit to your spouses as to the Lord. 23 For the spouse is the head of the spouse as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also spouses should submit to their spouses in everything. 25 Spouses, love your spouse, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for them 26 to make them holy, cleansing them by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present them to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, spouses ought to love their spouses as their own bodies. They who loves their spouse love themselves. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and cares for it, just as Christ does the church-- 30 for we are members of his body. 31 "For this reason a person will leave his parents and be united to his spouse, and the two will become one flesh." 32 This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his spouse as a person loves themselves, and the spouse must respect their spouse.  

Big SmileWinkBig Smile

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 34
Rebecca | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2012 6:39 PM

So they're just going to copy the current NRSV, then?

Posts 5312
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 3:59 AM

And still can't spell 'Saviour' bring back the KJV  Big Smile

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 5:08 AM

Unfortunately, the latest advances in scholarship and what satan has been doing lately, are often the same thing.  If the church figures out the distinction, it usually takes about 100 years.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 9:51 AM

Ok guys, this thread is about the availability of the 1984 NIV, not disagreement with the changes in the new one. Personally I agree with nearly all of the changes, and if you want to see some justification regarding how the English language has changed, read the translators' notes. They did their research. This Themelios review has more details, and sums up the strengths and weaknesses nicely in my opinion.

The short version is that they statistically evaluated the usage of gender in English, and found that in today's English language, masculine language is nearly always used exclusively. If I say I'm going fishing with my brothers (for example), I mean just men. If I meant my brothers and sisters, I would have used both the masculine and feminine terms (or said "siblings"). In Greek, as I'm sure you all know, that's not the case. If I mean just men, I use masculine, and if I mean a mixed group I would also use masculine. We don't know what the authors had in mind in each instance, so all translation will necessarily either widen or narrow the scope compared to the original meaning, but that's the game and there's no changing it. "Brothers" is no more "literal" a translation of adelphoi than "brothers and sisters", and only context can tell us which is correct.

That said, I still think they should make the 1984 edition available, for the multitude of reasons mentioned in this thread. It still is the most popular translation ever, a ton of existing resources refer to it, and many congregations use it and cannot afford to upgrade their pew Bibles.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 10:52 AM

Jerry M:

Unfortunately, the latest advances in scholarship and what satan has been doing lately, are often the same thing.  If the church figures out the distinction, it usually takes about 100 years.

Jerry, just to let you know that I find this posting offensive.  To state that modern scholarship is the work of "Satan" is simply uncalled for.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 11:48 AM

tom:
modern scholarship
Yes it was uncalled for.  Of course you misquoted me.  By definition any scholarly work in theology that doesn't have its origin and direction from God is evil.  There are many godly modern scholars and we all appreciate their work.  I was offended by earlier posts and had a weak moment.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:56 PM

While my previous post was in jest, there are some serious problems with the 2011. For example:

• Taking the prophecy out of David's words, Psalm 8:4-6:
    • NIV 1984:
      • What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet. 
    • NIV 2011:
      • What is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet. 

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 2:10 PM

Paul Golder:
While my previous post was in jest, there are some serious problems with the 2011. For example:

Paul, this is not the place to discuss the merits or failings of any translation. Can we drop this, or take it to Faithlife, or another place?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 2:45 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Can we drop this

Done Yes

Posts 78
Shannon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:02 AM

Wow...glad I asked?

Shannon

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS