Any progress on automatic hyperlinking

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 30485
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 7:24 AM

Russ - fgh remembered that there was a thread about the new engine for bibliography rendering in beta, and she linked to this thread. You might find it interesting. I posted this in that thread this morning:

alabama24:
In a nutshell, there is a desire to have the ability to add logosres to citations. I know that Bob has opined at various times about the need for academia to get over the necessity of using page numbers in citations. I agree with him… but Bob's in more of a position to do something about it than I am. Wink The ability to have logosres automatically appear in citations would be a good start.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30485
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 7:25 AM

Mike Tourangeau:
I'm on a Mac and would love to see this asap.... any timeframe?

Mike, I am really sorry that your thread got hijacked. Sorry! Tongue Tied Smile

Posts 1419
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 1:26 PM

alabama24:

Mike Tourangeau:
I'm on a Mac and would love to see this asap.... any timeframe?

Mike, I am really sorry that your thread got hijacked. Sorry! Tongue Tied Smile

No worries... lots of good info Big Smile

Posts 30485
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 1:34 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I am still waiting for an answer to the OP as well! Tongue Tied

Posts 3898
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2016 11:29 AM

Russ White:

alabama24:
A new citation style to be created which can incorporate the logosres info. 

This is all that's really needed...

The idea is on uservoice, here:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/2302559-add-copy-cite-as-url

But I don't really think anyone understands it --if you're doing a huge research paper, like a thesis, and using Logos as your primary research source, this could make a huge difference in how much time it takes for you to find and arrange the information you need to build your case and references...

This feature has been added to 7.3 Beta 1

Posts 782
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2016 4:02 PM

Russ White:

alabama24:
A new citation style to be created which can incorporate the logosres info. 

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/2302559-add-copy-cite-as-url

But I don't really think anyone understands it --if you're doing a huge research paper, like a thesis, and using Logos as your primary research source, this could make a huge difference in how much time it takes for you to find and arrange the information you need to build your case and references...

When one copies text from a web page by copying from a browser and pasting into OneNote, the resulting paste provides the copied text AND the url of the original web page which allows the reader to click back. 

I performed a simple copy/paste of part of one of Alabama's posts to a OneNote page and got:

You should develop your idea a little more and submit it as a suggestion in User Voice. To be honest, it has taken me quite a bit to understand what you are trying to say, but I think I have it now. Does this summarize it?

1. The ability for the citation, which is automatically created when pasting a quote, to use logosres. 
  2. A new citation style to be created which can incorporate the logosres info.

From <https://community.logos.com/forums/t/69465.aspx>

However, when I paste the same text to Word, the URL is not pasted. 

Posts 3898
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 10:21 AM

Russ White:

Russ,

This feature was added into 7.3 (7.3.0.0031)

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 4:36 PM

Kindof -- but the way it's implemented, it only works if you let Logos put the cite in an actual footnote. If you paste text only, you don't get the url back to the original resource. This isn't useful when you're gathering research, as you don't want the actual footnotes in your research notes. This isn't useful in actual writing, as the citations Logos creates are almost always wrong, and hence must be built manually anyway.

So, ultimately, the way Logos has implemented it is actually useless. 

Russ

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 4:54 PM

What I asked for was this. On the list of possible citation types, add an option that says, "add url to citation." This is close to what you've implemented, but it's not the same thing. Instead of having the url pushed as an embedded link, have it pushed as an actual piece of text that will show up when you do a "text only" paste into a document. Right now, if I want to do this:

==
As Bultmann famously remarked, “Man does not have a soma; he is soma.” Indeed, “man, his person as a whole, can be denoted by soma.… Man is called soma in respect to his being able to make himself the object of his own action or to experience himself as the subject to whom something happens. He can be called soma, that is, as having a relationship to himself—as being able in a certain sense to distinguish himself from himself.” The human person does not consist of two (or three) parts, then, but is a living whole. What is more, human lives are oriented toward a purpose; they live always on a quest, though the human creature can find or lose one’s self. For Paul, Bultmann observes, “Man has always already missed the existence that at heart he seeks, his intent is basically perverse, evil.” This “missing” of life is sin, which is a power that dominates everyone completely.

Joel B. Green, Body, Soul, and Human Life: The Nature of Humanity in the Bible (ed. Craig G. Bartholomew and Christopher R. Seitz; Studies in Theological Interpretation; Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2008), 4–5.

https://ref.ly/logosres/bodysoulhumanlife;ref=Page.pp_4-5;off=1243;ctx=anslated_as_$E2$80$9Cbody.$E2$80$9D_~As_Bultmann_famously
=
=

I must first copy out the quote, switch to note taking software, and paste as text. This pastes the quote and the citation, but not the back link. The option you've provided still will not paste the back link, because I'm not putting the citation in as a footnote in the document -- but I don't want a footnote here, I want just the quote and citation in plain text. Now, to get the url, I must switch back to Logos, click on the correct button, then "copy location as url," then back to the note software package, and then paste as plain text again.

Russ

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 5:26 PM

Russ White:
This is close to what you've implemented, but it's not the same thing. Instead of having the url pushed as an embedded link, have it pushed as an actual piece of text that will show up when you do a "text only" paste into a document.

Copy from Logos 7.3 RC 2 with paste into Word 2010 has hyperlinked resource in citation (embedded URL), which is not a footnote (but does have two superscript numbers)

Word macro could convert/copy embedded URL followed by pasting after citation text.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 6:09 PM

When I copy from the latest Logos into the latest Word, I get a footnote. I could write a macro that copies out any links found in the footnote and reformats the cite and the url into a single block of text, but --

1. What about when I'm working in a software package that doesn't have footnotes, or embedded urls, at all? For instance, I am often asked for some quick research on a specific verse, or topic -- I usually use notepad for this sort of thing, or simply copy and paste into email, which is always plain text (and embedded footnotes don't work in most folks' email anyway).

2. The formatting is still wrong -- I have to delete the footnote, bringing it into the main text. The way it's shown on your screen, there's just an odd amount of text inserted into the document. This would be very difficult to handle in a macro.

What's been implemented is interesting, but it would have been much easier, and actually useful, to implement what I originally asked for. 

Russ

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2016 6:47 PM

Russ White:
When I copy from the latest Logos into the latest Word, I get a footnote.

Does program setting Copy Footnotes as Text have any effect ?

Russ White:
1. What about when I'm working in a software package that doesn't have footnotes, or embedded urls, at all?

Windows 10 Wordpad handles embedded URL (from RTF on clipboard) without superscript numbers nor footnote:

WordPad File has "Send in email" option to send document as email attachment.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2016 12:20 PM

So your argument is that I should completely change the way I do email and research in order to fit it around what Logos has implemented. No, that's not a solution. 

Russ

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2016 12:45 PM

Another possibility is automatic clipboard modification. Hyperlinked resource does not have URL when pasted as text. Perhaps clipboard could be manipulated to copies "hidden" URL and pastes as text on clipboard so work flow becomes copy in Logos (with automatic clipboard change), switch to desired program, paste.  Clipboard Fusion includes Text Match & Replace => https://www.clipboardfusion.com/Compare/ (caveat: have not used Clipboard Fusion; noticed Free & Pro versions)

Observation: over many years have changed a number of times the software used to implement a variety of tasks.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2017 12:58 PM

I have a simpler solution -- how about Logos just implements what I asked for in the first place?

Russ

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS