It's here - Fathers of the Church

Page 4 of 5 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 94 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 1:05 PM

NB.Mick:

.... But it may be that Logos can help you regarding the big chunk of dough. Check your mailbox or contact Mark dot Wheeler at Verbum dot com.

That's a good suggestion.  I can't remember if I asked before if Logos would let me do a payment plan for a pre-ordered item.  It's worth asking Mark.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 1:17 PM

One other question ....

Among the subsets; Ante Nicene, Nicene, Post, Augustine, Latin Fathers, Greek .... which do you think is the most valuable?  (Not price, but perhaps referenced most by other church documents - Catechism, Encyclicals, Vatican docs, etc.)

Maybe I could do one subset now and add others later.

Posts 1831
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 3:17 PM

Steve:
Among the subsets; Ante Nicene, Nicene, Post, Augustine, Latin Fathers, Greek .... which do you think is the most valuable?  (Not price, but perhaps referenced most by other church documents - Catechism, Encyclicals, Vatican docs, etc.)

In general, western theology since Augustine has been footnotes to Augustine.  OK, this may be a bit of an exaggeration, but a quick check of CCC shows that he is the most cited Ecclesiastical writer.  Of course, Thomas is up there, but that is later.

This leaves aside the question of if you can properly understand Augustine without understanding what came before him...  And, of course, your own interests...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 5510
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 6:58 PM

Steve:

St. Augustine gets mentioned the most of everybody out of the Fathers, and in the most diverse manners. There are certain Ante Nicene quotations that come up again and again everywhere. St. John Chrysostom, St. Ambrose of Milan, and the St. C's anecdotally seem the most quoted other Fathers.

The most valuable ECFs are quite possibly the ones you'll read. If you have the most interest in St. Augustine, pick St. Augustine. If in Sts. Irenaeus and Ignatius of Antioch, pick the Ante Nicene Fathers. Etc.

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 1:46 PM
Can anyone make a screenshot with this collection: Fathers of the Church: Fathers of the Ante-Nicene Era (23 vols.) (https://www.logos.com/product/33660/fathers-of-the-church-fathers-of-the-ante-nicene-era)? Thanks!
Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 2:08 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 2:17 PM
No, what I meant with the logos4 files within this. That was too simple... Big Smile
Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 3:17 PM
Bump.
Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:13 PM

Martin ... please don't think me overly dumb, but what are you asking for?  You usually want LogosResource-refs. But you want a screen print? 27 books? Or a library listing? Just don't want you to think you're being ignored.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 9:30 PM
Denise, if it's "too hard" for Logos to accomplish this (show links for each individual file), and if it too much time consuming for users to do this (logosres links), a picture with files will do... Martin. Why do you consider yourself "overly dumb"? Big Smile
Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 10:38 PM
Anyone? I'm being ignored... Stick out tongue
Posts 32976
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 10:41 PM

Not ignoring you - I couldn't afford them.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 10:42 PM

Well, there's dumb.  And then there's excessively dumb!   I was trying to clarify in hopes someone got the collection (I didn't; I'm too poor!).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 4:07 AM

MJ. Smith:
I couldn't afford them.

And I cancelled. I'm too tired of constant errors to hand over that kind of money. They can fix their quality control first, then we can talk. Plus I'm also tired of financing prepubs that others can then buy in a package for a fraction of the cost I paid. I'll wait and see what Verbum 6 looks like before I decide.

Martin, why don't you wait for the next update and check for yourself? https://community.logos.com/forums/p/86009/603840.aspx#603840

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 6:57 AM

It this what you want?

If someone would want to instruct me in a way to do a simple list I would be happy to do that.

Posts 5510
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 7:01 AM

I didn't get it either, to the surprise of no one.

It was 30% off on pre-pub and my academic discount is 24%, so even if I were to get the necessary money next month I wouldn't feel too bad about not having purchased it on pre-pub.

Posts 11939
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:01 AM

Steve:
If someone would want to instruct me in a way to do a simple list I would be happy to do that.

Old technology: click the Window button, use the cmd command to open the small window with the ms-dos box. Navigate to your Logos resources folder.

Type: dir/od >test.txt

This will give all files ordered by date into a textfile.

Open the textfile with an editor and cut out what is superfluous.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:39 AM

Here it is.

0815.foc.txt

There appears to be 125 files in the entire set (127 volumes). 

Edit:  I just prioritized this series and it shows as 125 volumes.  ... product page says 127.

Hmm ... Hmm

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:23 PM
Thank you very much, Steve! Can you check if "Sermons, vol. 1 (1–80) by Saint Caesarius" (lls:srmnsvlm) contains vol. 2 (81–186) and vol. 3 (187–238)? Maybe that's way you got 125 vols. and not 127! Martin.
Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:32 PM

Martin Grainger Dean:

Thank you very much, Steve! Can you check if "Sermons, vol. 1 (1–80) by Saint Caesarius" (lls:srmnsvlm) contains vol. 2 (81–186) and vol. 3 (187–238)? Maybe that's way you got 125 vols. and not 127! Martin.

I checked.  That's it.  Thanks for the explanation.

Page 4 of 5 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS