PBB - Converting pdf and epub to docx

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 10 2011 8:10 AM

Many public domain documents are in pdf format, and must be converted to docx before making a Logos PBB resource.

I have found that the AVS document converter does this pretty well, and it is pretty cheap.  It will convert between pdf, epub, docx, html and other formats.  So you can download a pdf or epub public domain book, and convert to docx in one step. 

I have no interest in promoting AVS or any other software, but I found this helpful and thought I would mention it.  Works for me. 

Of course once the document is converted you have some work to do in preparing it - depending on the type of resource.

Again, AVS Document Converter is not free, but it is very reasonable.  I bought it some time back because it has lots of uses.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1
Lee Herbst | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 12:19 PM

Calibre is free. It is an eBook library manager and it has a lot of conversion tools. It can't convert to docx, but it can convert to rtf (which Word reads) and that works for me. Just another option for those looking to convert eBooks.

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 1:42 PM

Lee Herbst:

Calibre is free. It is an eBook library manager and it has a lot of conversion tools. It can't convert to docx, but it can convert to rtf (which Word reads) and that works for me. Just another option for those looking to convert eBooks.

Yes I totally agree that Calibre is wonderful.  Probably the most comprehensive document conversion tool out there.  Since its free, the price is PERFECT!

"I read dead people..."

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 2:03 PM

Calibre is great, better IMHO than AVS software (I just tried that one). The best conversion from pdf is done by Adobe Acrobat and Nitro. However non of those tools does it really well. Footers and Headers are not recognized and footnotes are not converted to docx footnotes. Headings are also not recognized to create a structure of the document in docx file. You have to do all those things manually. If somebody would find a conversion tool that does all of those things, that would be a real help in creating PBBs from pdf files. 

Bohuslav

Posts 74
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 14 2011 2:44 PM

Hi, I use a OCR program to convert pdf (or pic files); it does not place the foot-End-notes at the bottom of each page, so one has to go through them in WORD to make (docx). for the mac there is a program called TUFO IS FREE [it also allows you to open password protected PDF], this open the PDF and you can copy paste into WORD (paste as text only (don't use the formet paste).

If someone whats their doc files changed to docx, I'd be able to do that conversion for you [this is me opening and saving the files only].

Posts 1
gigiwill | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:55 AM

There’s a easy and free way, just go to docs.google.com, click the upload button to upload your pdf file. Remember to check the option "Convert text from PDF or image files to Google Docs documents " before you click the “start upload” button. After the upload is done you can find the converted file on your Google Docs, now copy the texts to an empty word file, done! With this method you can also convert pdf to ppt if you copy the converted tsts to your empty ppt file.

Or you can simply use a PDF to word converter which will save you a lot of time and trouble. Oh and If you’re using mac there should be a different tool. To find out how to convert pdf to word for mac you can also go to adobe’s website to ask for help.

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 6:04 PM

gigiwill:

But this does not solve the footnotes problem.  There are dozens of easy conversions, but I know of none that converts the footnotes to Word doc footnotes.  Any body found one that does?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 7:42 PM

Michael Childs:

gigiwill:

But this does not solve the footnotes problem.  There are dozens of easy conversions, but I know of none that converts the footnotes to Word doc footnotes.  Any body found one that does?

And you probably won’t either. Just consider how the footnotes are added to the word doc, you need to do them. U can convert a doc to pdf but then u loose the connection that was created in the doc. Unfortunately that connection is not restored once u convert to a word doc.

U can however, copy/paste the text from the pdf to word and have the link………

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 11 2012 3:45 AM

I really think a Word macro to create true footnotes from a converted PDF is quite possible, I just haven't gotten time to play much with it. Rosie did a post on a similar thought. In short it would:

-search for the next numerical footnote in the next (matching the superscript/format used in that document; this would need to be edited from document to document but not a big deal)

-once found - mark location - find that formatted number at end of document. Select all text to end of that section (or could be to select up to next superscripted number matching footnote format, etc.) - cut that text and the footnote number

- go back to the marked location - delete the footnote text, add a true endnote or footnote, then paste the text back in. Proceed to beginning until there are no more footnotes to process.

Maybe Steve can work on this, he is a macro guru? Geeked

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:02 AM

Sounds like I need to get busy learning about how to do a Word macro.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:11 AM

I use Calibre myself, but I find that HTMLZ is a better intermediary format than RTF, because it supports images and a few more formatting options. Word still opens it fine. I don't remember how it does with footnotes, but it wouldn't surprise me if they worked.

Posts 1
Alen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 2:17 AM

You can try out some online resources if you do not want to install additional applications on your PC.

From interesting:

convertonlinefree.com

go4convert.com

Posts 2915
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 4:43 AM

Michael Childs:

Many public domain documents are in pdf format, and must be converted to docx before making a Logos PBB resource.

I have found that the AVS document converter does this pretty well, and it is pretty cheap.  It will convert between pdf, epub, docx, html and other formats.  So you can download a pdf or epub public domain book, and convert to docx in one step. 

I have no interest in promoting AVS or any other software, but I found this helpful and thought I would mention it.  Works for me. 

Of course once the document is converted you have some work to do in preparing it - depending on the type of resource.

Again, AVS Document Converter is not free, but it is very reasonable.  I bought it some time back because it has lots of uses.

HI, Michael,  before buying it, to know whether  it works with the link I have shown here, could you please try this and post it  in a screenshot? (From Romans)http://www.biblica.com/bibles/amharic/

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 74
Rusty Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 11:41 AM

Microsoft Word 2013 has an automatic pdf converter so that you open a pdf and save as docx. I have been using the preview version for several days and it does a good job. Seems to be faster than Adobe"s OCR technology and some of the online versions (including Nuance, which used to be my favorite.) It seems to be much more accurate as well. Naturally, like all converters in has its flaws, but seems to be something Microsoft has actually done fairly well for a change. You can find Office 2013 in a preview version for now, but they have not released pricing or date of full release yet.

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 8:42 PM

Tes:

Michael Childs:

HI, Michael,  before buying it, to know whether  it works with the link I have shown here, could you please try this and post it  in a screenshot? (From Romans)http://www.biblica.com/bibles/amharic/

Tess, yes I will try several programs including AVS, and post results. Just got home tonight from a conference all this week. It will be Monday before I can do it.

Posts 2915
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 3:21 AM

Michael Childs:

Tes:

Michael Childs:

Tess, yes I will try several programs including AVS, and post results. Just got home tonight from a conference all this week. It will be Monday before I can do it.

Thank you Michael.I am looking forward.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 11:36 AM

Tes,

I tried with AVS, Calibre, and a few other programs.  However, I got none that could convert that pdf and preserve the language or scrpt.  It all came out jibberish.  I think a big part of the problem is that I do not have a Windows font for that language or alphabet.

I regret that I was no help to you. 

Posts 2915
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 12:42 PM

Michael Childs:

Tes,

I tried with AVS, Calibre, and a few other programs.  However, I got none that could convert that pdf and preserve the language or scrpt.  It all came out jibberish.  I think a big part of the problem is that I do not have a Windows font for that language or alphabet.

I regret that I was no help to you. 

HI,Michael, it was discussed in this thread:http://community.logos.com/forums/p/27083/199945.aspx#199945 Gary Keene was able to convert  it to Word decument correctly,long ago before there was no PB,where he highlighted it: and he discovered the fonts as well,he has attached them under his comments,it would be veryhelpful if you could refer the thread, I thank you once again for helping me.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 12:10 AM

Rusty Davidson:

Microsoft Word 2013 has an automatic pdf converter so that you open a pdf and save as docx. I have been using the preview version for several days and it does a good job. Seems to be faster than Adobe"s OCR technology and some of the online versions (including Nuance, which used to be my favorite.) It seems to be much more accurate as well. Naturally, like all converters in has its flaws, but seems to be something Microsoft has actually done fairly well for a change. You can find Office 2013 in a preview version for now, but they have not released pricing or date of full release yet.

Yes, I also tried many converters (Adobe, Nitro, Calibre, AVS, etc. etc.) with not good results. I installed MS Office 2013 Preview version and it's converting ability from pdf to docx is very promising. Especially those pdf that have been saved from docx by MS Word are converted very well. 

Bohuslav

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 2:51 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I installed MS Office 2013 Preview version and it's converting ability from pdf to docx is very promising. Especially those pdf that have been saved from docx by MS Word are converted very well. 

Sounds like wonderful news.  I am going to give it a try as well.

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS