Highlighting Consolidation / Moving / Changing, etc.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 26 2012 8:00 AM

I'm likely missing something here... I had all my bible notes in a notes file creatively titled "Bible Notes." I now have: Bible Notes, Solid Colors, Inductive, Highlighter Pens, Emphasis Markup, etc. 

Is there an easy way to consolidate these into one notes  file or am I stuck with my highlights and notes spread throughout various files? Also, what is the suggested best practices? For the way I use highlighting, it seems silly to have them spread out across multiple notes files.

Thanks!

- jp

ps. I like the upgrades - just trying to figure out how to adjust my workflow.

Posts 29589
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 8:17 AM

JP - Sorry, I have to go pick up the kids, but I created a post that explains highlighting/note files. You can read it HERE. Ask again if you have any more questions. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 8:19 AM

J.P. Poveda:
I now have: Bible Notes, Solid Colors, Inductive, Highlighter Pens, Emphasis Markup, etc. 

Logos 4.5 combined highlighting and notes; every highlight is a note.  Previously highlighting was hidden from view; Logos 4.5 exposed hidden highlighting by creating a notes file using the highlighting palette name: e.g. Solid Colors, Inductive, Highlighter Pens, Emphasis Markup, etc.

J.P. Poveda:
Is there an easy way to consolidate these into one notes  file

Apologies: No since drag and drop one at a time does not qualify as easy.

J.P. Poveda:
Also, what is the suggested best practices?

Couple items to ponder => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/43997/327507.aspx#327507 and => Highlighter Palette for smaller notes input needed

J.P. Poveda:
ps. I like the upgrades - just trying to figure out how to adjust my workflow.

Another item to consider is Personal Book building.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29589
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:16 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

J.P. Poveda:
Is there an easy way to consolidate these into one notes  file

Apologies: No since drag and drop one at a time does not qualify as easy.

Big Smile - FYI - I spent 4+ hours breaking out my highlights. Definitely NOT easy. 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 12:00 PM

J.P. Poveda:
Is there an easy way to consolidate these into one notes  file or am I stuck with my highlights and notes spread throughout various files?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you want all you highlights in the same file as your notes? Won't that both make the notes hard to find among all the highlights, and slow down performance? Everyone else seems more interested in splitting their highlighting files up. You're the first I see who wants to merge them.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 12:37 PM

fgh:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you want all you highlights in the same file as your notes? Won't that both make the notes hard to find among all the highlights, and slow down performance? Everyone else seems more interested in splitting their highlighting files up. You're the first I see who wants to merge them.

Well, I'm not sure that I want them in my main bible notes file, but I'm not sure that I want them in four separate files either. What I'm looking for is how to consolidate them as I see fit based on my needs.

Some of you mentioned dragging them from one note file to another... how did you do that? I tried it on my mac and it's not working. Also if I were to consolidate all my highlights into a single highlight file - would Logos continue to direct new highlights to the separate highlight files? How do I tell Logos where I want highlights to go?

Thanks! 

- jp

Posts 29589
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 1:00 PM

J.P. Poveda:
Some of you mentioned dragging them from one note file to another... how did you do that? I tried it on my mac and it's not working.

Try clicking and dragging to the left of the note icon. You need to make sure that you can see both note files open at the same time. Click & Drag.

J.P. Poveda:
How do I tell Logos where I want highlights to go?

Please follow the link I provided in my first post. That was the point of my tutorial.

J.P. Poveda:
Also if I were to consolidate all my highlights into a single highlight file - would Logos continue to direct new highlights to the separate highlight files?

Not if you change where the palette points to. Again, see my previous post. If you have any more questions, or if my tutorial is unclear to you, post again. Smile It might be good to post there if it relates to that post.

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 1:11 PM

alabama24:
Please follow the link I provided in my first post. That was the point of my tutorial.

Haha sorry about that - I saw that link this morning and didn't have a chance to follow it then I forgot when I responded. I'll follow then link and follow up there if I run in to more questions. Thanks for the help! :)

- jp

Posts 29589
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 1:14 PM

No problem J.P. Smile

If you have follow up questions, let me know.

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:29 AM

alabama24:
If you have follow up questions, let me know.

Your post in the Windows forum was very helpful. I think I'm going to have one note file for my actual notes and one note file for my highlights. To do that, however, I need to consolidate my highlight note files.

I'm posting here because I think this might be a Mac specific question. It seems like you can't drag notes / highlights from one file to another on the mac. Does the mac version of Logos not support moving notes from one file to another?

Thanks,

- jp

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:40 AM

Using Logos 4.5a Beta 2, can drag and drop notes from one file to another, see thread => Reordering notes in a note file

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29589
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:56 AM

J.P. Poveda:
I think I'm going to have one note file for my actual notes and one note file for my highlights.

KS4J made me aware in another thread that Logos plans to allow the sharing of note files. One reason to create a separate note file for a resource would be if you wanted to share notes & highlights with others for a particular book. The flip side is that document organization is non existent in L4. Hopefully L5 will bring MAJOR advancements in this area. Smile

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:36 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Using Logos 4.5a Beta 2, can drag and drop notes from one file to another, see thread => Reordering notes in a note file

Got it... could they make it less obvious?? lol

I guess it's obvious once you figure it out - but I pretty much tried grabbing everywhere except the exact right spot.

Thanks for the help.

- jp

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:37 PM

alabama24:
S4J made me aware in another thread that Logos plans to allow the sharing of note files. One reason to create a separate note file for a resource would be if you wanted to share notes & highlights with others for a particular book. The flip side is that document organization is non existent in L4. Hopefully L5 will bring MAJOR advancements in this area. Smile

Hmmm... choices. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS