A Plea for a Functional "Biblical Places" on Mac

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2012 4:33 PM

Jack Caviness:

It is fixed, but it is difficult to find a precise location. When the pointer is moved to click the big-G, the coordinates change. Had multiple views of Armenia before I realized what was happening.

Perhaps a means to lock-in a location would help.

I will create a case for this issue.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2012 7:36 PM

Using Logos 4.5c Beta 1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8, updated => Feature Parity list for G addition (plus confirmed other issues still exist):

• PC Biblical Places has G button for Google Maps to show coordinates, which is missing on Mac – Logos 4.5b regression, G reappeared in 4.5c Beta 1
  • PC Biblical Places has lighter color grey indicators for end of location list items, but Mac does not
  • PC Biblical Places map animation and transition is much faster than Mac

Using History arrows to go back, noticed lack of coordinates beside G when Athens location and Jerusalem maps are displayed:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 19 2012 12:47 PM

Jack Caviness:

It is fixed, but it is difficult to find a precise location. When the pointer is moved to click the big-G, the coordinates change. Had multiple views of Armenia before I realized what was happening.

I second this! Every time I click on the location that I want to search in Google maps, the MOMENT I move my cursor, the coordinates change and I will get a different location in Google maps as a result. This has been a problem since the release of Logos 4. There needs to be a way that we can lock in the location and it changes only when I (the user) clicks a different location. That would be MUCH smarter in my humble opinion.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 19 2012 2:40 PM

If you had a real personal computer you wouldn't have this issue. The PC is sufficiently slow that by clicking and then moving the mousepointer to the 'G', it remembers the correct coordinates.

Bottom line: your Mac is too fast. Is this a parity problem or just a platform that (significantly) exceeds spec?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 19 2012 3:13 PM

Caleb S.:

Jack Caviness:

I second this! Every time I click on the location that I want to search in Google maps, the MOMENT I move my cursor, the coordinates change and I will get a different location in Google maps as a result. This has been a problem since the release of Logos 4. There needs to be a way that we can lock in the location and it changes only when I (the user) clicks a different location. That would be MUCH smarter in my humble opinion.

Wonder about a workaround idea ? in Biblical Places, position hand on map for desired coordinates, then right click to pop-up menu, then move mouse to G followed by clicking G (ignore pop-up for copy image, which seems to freeze coordinates updating while moving mouse).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 3:59 AM

DMB:
Bottom line: your Mac is too fast. Is this a parity problem or just a platform that (significantly) exceeds spec?

Thanks for the heads up Big Smile. I was considering replacing my 6 year old Mac with a new iMac, but—if my present machine is already too fast—what will happen with a new Lamborghini? Confused

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 7:09 AM

Amen Jack! I too was thinking about a new Mac, but as I already have more Ram and Processors than Logos can use, there is not much point getting so far ahead that Logos won't even be able to start, much less run in hardware that advanced.

Perhaps I should trade down to something Logos can handle-smile.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 7:24 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

You mean something like this? Big Smile

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 8:52 AM

hahaha, there ya go, that will "get ur done"

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 9:38 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

fgh:

Logos 4.5b SR-1 on Mac and PC have buggy arrow interaction for Biblical Places history navigation.

That was actually the one set of arrows I didn't mention in my post... Wink

Looking again, this time at second set of arrows

Did I really explain myself that badly in my first post? The bug I reported, and wanted you to add to the parity list, is in the bottom ribbon, where all the map thumbnails are. The arrows there don't behave like they should (i e you have to click once for each new thumbnail to show). I then compared that to the shortcut bar arrows, which do work like they should (i e you can click-and-hold and the icons keep moving).

Finally I discovered that the arrows in the upper ribbon, the one with the dictionaries, behave in a third way. I didn't know if this was a parity issue, nor if it was a formal bug or intentional, but it certainly isn't consistent. It too ought to behave like the shortcut bar. (Well, minus that bug that makes the left arrow in the shortcut bar disappear when you get to the far right.)

Was that clearer?

Tonya J Ross:
I will make a case for this issue.

Thanks. I'm glad you understood me. Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 9:53 AM

Caleb S.:
Scrolling in books (especially Bibles) takes longer than it does on most websites (major gripe here).

YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

Caleb S.:
major highways are not highlighted in every map (very few of them in fact), and other roads going from towns (based upon geography of course) are completely excluded, so those who use Biblical Places won't have any idea of how people actually would have traveled (this is a major gripe for me.

How much do we actually know about where roads went? Unless there are clear archaeological finds, or clear written descriptions, I'd prefer that they don't mark roads. I don't want to be tricked into believing that a guess is a fact.

Caleb S.:
Another gripe is that when I zoom in to a certain area and I want to print just that specific area that I am zoomed to, I can't. It prints the whole map area that is available in that view.

Have you tried using a screen shot?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 10:06 AM

I did find a work around for some of the Logos maps. If you have access to the Faithlife Study Bible there is a section labeled "maps" at the end of the study bible material. You can then at least scroll through the maps without all the lag.

fgh:

Caleb S.:
major highways are not highlighted in every map (very few of them in fact), and other roads going from towns (based upon geography of course) are completely excluded, so those who use Biblical Places won't have any idea of how people actually would have traveled (this is a major gripe for me.

How much do we actually know about where roads went? Unless there are clear archaeological finds, or clear written descriptions, I'd prefer that they don't mark roads. I don't want to be tricked into believing that a guess is a fact.

I do appreciate at least having a general idea or "guestimate" made by scholars as to the location of the roads, "lost" cities, exodus routes, etc. However, it would be beneficial to know who is doing the guessing and upon what basis the guesses are made. This is another weakness to the current software based models (over against the dead-tree paper atlas). With a paper atlas you will often have comments as to what led scholars to make certain conclusions or guesses. With the software based "Biblical places" model you don't see anything besides the map. You have no idea who made the map (besides a Logos Logo in the lower corner) and no idea if the people behind the map are making reliable, educated decisions.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 10:36 AM

fgh:

Did I really explain myself that badly in my first post? The bug I reported, and wanted you to add to the parity list, is in the bottom ribbon, where all the map thumbnails are. The arrows there don't behave like they should (i e you have to click once for each new thumbnail to show). I then compared that to the shortcut bar arrows, which do work like they should (i e you can click-and-hold and the icons keep moving).

Finally I discovered that the arrows in the upper ribbon, the one with the dictionaries, behave in a third way. I didn't know if this was a parity issue, nor if it was a formal bug or intentional, but it certainly isn't consistent. It too ought to behave like the shortcut bar. (Well, minus that bug that makes the left arrow in the shortcut bar disappear when you get to the far right.)

Was that clearer?

+1 Yes Concur scrolling in Biblical Places on Mac needs lots of clicks while PC can click once and hold to quickly scroll.

Using Logos 4.5a SR-1 and Logos 4.5c Beta1, replicated feature parity issue on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Windows 7 so added to Feature Parity list:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 12:24 PM

Paul Clarke:

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

You mean something like this? Big Smile

That was my very first mac—May 1984 Cool 128K RAM, 400K rigid floppy, and if memory serves, 16MHz blazingly fast CPU, and it all came loaded with McWright and McPaint Big Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 1:03 PM

Jack Caviness:
That was my very first mac—May 1984 Cool 128K RAM, 400K rigid floppy, and if memory serves, 16MHz blazingly fast CPU, and it all came loaded with McWright and McPaint Big Smile

Observation: Macintosh 128K ('thin Mac') bundled program names were MacWrite and MacPaint   Personally Thankful for an external floppy drive with a "fat Mac" so could avoid floppy disk shuffle when saving files.

Caveat: Logos 4 Mac needs an Intel CPU, which is the third processor architecture used in Mac Models => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_models_grouped_by_CPU_type

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 7:49 PM

bundled program names were MacWrite and MacPaint

You are correct—Mac rather than Mc avoided a lawsuit from a certain fast food chain with a similar sounding name Geeked

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 7:55 AM

PC Biblical Places has lighter color grey indicators for end of location list items, but Mac does not

Logos 4.5c Release Candidate 1 has lighter arrows for end of location list for maps; still missing in middle row.

Dreaming of a scroll bar for maps and pictures for quicker navigation.  Also dreaming about option to turn off zoom out animation; one map transition zoomed out for 20 seconds before zooming in.  Personally wish default zoom would minimize time for transition.  On Windows, the zoom out is only far enough to include borders of old and new maps.  On Mac, zoom out goes to edge of world map then waits many seconds before zooming in to show map detail.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:17 AM

Dreaming of a scroll bar for maps and pictures for quicker navigation.  Also dreaming about option to turn off zoom out animation; one map transition zoomed out for 20 seconds before zooming in.  Personally wish default zoom would minimize time for transition.  

[Emphasis added]

Keep dreaming... Stick out tongue . Just kidding...

However, I've all but given up on my hopes, dreams, and wishes for Logos' map features.

You would not think that it would be this hard to display maps! I don't get the point of fancy zooming, that doesn't zoom and doesn't impress.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:21 AM

Jonathan:
I don't get the point of fancy zooming, that doesn't zoom and doesn't impress.

+1 Yes

Searching Logos for Titles and/or Description is quicker than using Biblical Places for maps, one click on a search result opens map in a resource without zooming.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:30 AM

Searching Logos for Titles and/or Description is quicker than using Biblical Places for maps, one click on a search result opens map in a resource without zooming.

Keep Smiling Smile

Now, why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the tip.

Will this allow access to the maps designed by Logos without opening Biblical Places or do those only appear in Biblical places? I am having a hard time finding the Logos maps...

Also, Is there a way to limit this to maps only (and not included photographs)? I am thinking that there is NOT a way to do this, but if there is, that would be great.

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS