Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 1:52 PM

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/01/25/windows-8-downgrade/

If downgrading is not an option, VMWARE Player is a free download and runs Windows XP or 32 bit Win7 really well.

Posts 25206
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:13 PM

John Peter Richardson:
Has anyone any suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting a new drive for the desktop and installing Win 7. Then I can boot between Win 8 (on the existing drive) and Win 7!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11
John P Richardson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 2:52 PM

Hi DMB. Thanks for your reply. I don't know anything about Virtual Box, but I pick stuff up pretty quickly, so if you can give me a steer that would help.

As to the fonts, they don't show up as options in Logos 4 when I try to copy and paste - that is where they need to be. Is there any way I can just install them?

Posts 10458
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:07 PM

I've no experience on the font issue other than to set my fonts in the Tools > Program Settings panel (I've a million of them from all the different software projects). But I'm assuming you must be in notes, where I've no Logos4/5 experience as to what happens when there's a font difference. Hopefully someone else might know?

Regarding Virtual Box, it sounds like VMWare above might be a better choice for you if it's free (I've not used it but if you google it, there's a bunch of how-to's). It seems to handle both XP and W7/32 which you might eventually need. Don't know if the MS licenses come with it. Here's a good intro:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10911/run-xp-mode-on-windows-7-machines-without-hardware-virtualization/

The one I use literally comes free/licensed with Microsoft Windows Pro (though you may need to download it from MS as I did).

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:50 PM

John Peter Richardson:

Has anyone any suggestions?

Libronix 3 runs on "some" Windows 8 computers if you follow the installation instructions at the beginning of this thread. It seems that those who do an "upgrade" to Win8 are the ones that have unfixable problems.

Wordperfect is not a good choice for Greek and Hebrew. It has no Unicode support. But if you prefer to keep using it and it meets your needs, all you should have to do is configure Logos 4/5 to use those non-unicode fonts as default fonts. I really cannot tell you whether this will work or not, as i do not use Logos 4/5. Logos 4/5 might require Unicode fonts. Others on the forum can tell you more about this.

How badly do you want to stick with Windows 8? That is a decision that only you can make. Me Personally, I have no use for it and plan on sticking with Win 7 for a long time to come. A clean install of Windows 8 might solve the problems for you with Libronix (and it is always possible that it might not too).

Posts 11
John P Richardson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 10:40 AM

Thanks for the replies. The big problem I have at the moment is I can't seem to do a complete 'uninstall' of Libronix from my computer.

I installed Windows 8 over Windows 7 without uninstalling Libronix first. I now realize that may be behind some of my problems. But although I have uninstalled Libronix AND run the purge routine AND tried deleting any relevant files, folders and even registry entries, whenever I reinstall Libronix using the .zip file, a lot of my old settings come back.

For example, the chief glitch is that I can't enter a new search in the search windows (Basic or Bible). No matter what I enter, it just repeats the last search I did when it was running in Windows 7. So that information is stored SOMEWHERE on my computer and is being retrieved when I reinstall Libronix. But WHERE IS IT?

If anyone can advise, this might help me get Libronix back and working.

On the fonts issue, all my researches tell me this is unresolvable unless either WP starts doing unicode, or Logos reinstalls the patch that allowed you to copy Greek and Hebrew into Graeca or Hebraica.

Thanks to those who have responded.

Posts 25206
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 1:32 PM

John Peter Richardson:
For example, the chief glitch is that I can't enter a new search in the search windows (Basic or Bible). No matter what I enter, it just repeats the last search I did when it was running in Windows 7. So that information is stored SOMEWHERE on my computer and is being retrieved when I reinstall Libronix. But WHERE IS IT?

See here for Libronix folder locations -->  http://www.logos.com/support/windows/L3/special_folders

(Vista has the same folder names as Windows 7/8).

Before you remove them backup your licence as that will make installation much easier. Also I wouldn't remove the folder in (My) Documents

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4780
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 1:44 PM

Good info to know. Smile

Posts 11
John P Richardson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 2:24 PM

Thanks for this, Dave.

The good news is I've got rid of the old search results. I changed the file C:\Users\'User'\AppData\Roaming\Libronix DLS\Library\Preferences\LDLS\UserInterface\SearchDialogs.lbxprf to a .bk! file extension and, hey presto, the old search results disappeared.

An important point - and perhaps the heart of my problem, is that there is AppData for ALL users of the computer, even those that don't use Libronix (like my wife). I'm not going to try it tonight, but deleting her folders MAY be something I need to do.

However, bad news - I still can't enter a search item and get Libronix to perform a new search. Any wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.

But this is progress!

Posts 25206
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 5:30 PM

John Peter Richardson:

However, bad news - I still can't enter a search item and get Libronix to perform a new search. Any wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.

But this is progress!

Unfortunately, your experience is the same as mine! I've given up getting Libronix to work on Windows 8.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 6:32 PM

On 64 bit Windows, 32 bit Programs have their registry calls remapped. So some cleanup utilities or scripts may not work as expected.

To Libronix it is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Libronix

To Windows and other programs it is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Libronix

You could always delete this key and see what happens Cool

Posts 2014
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 8:58 PM

John:

If downgrading is not an option, VMWARE Player is a free download and runs Windows XP or 32 bit Win7 really well.

When I had Windows 7 I used XP Mode from within Win7 to run the old Parson's Software Greek Tutor and Hebrew Tutor.  Since I upgraded to Win8, which does not have XP Mode, I have been thinking about an alternative.  I have now downloaded the free VMWARE that you suggested and it is working great.  I think it is actually better than XP Mode was. 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2013 6:53 PM

John:

Oracle's VirtualBox is free for everyone while VMWare Player 5 has free use limitations: e.g. only for personal use.

Caveat: need appropriate Windows license for virtual machine in VirtualBox or VMWare.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
Billy Carson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2014 8:51 AM

I have the Nelsons Electronic Bible I bought in 1999 and it ran on everything until

windows 8. Now I can't even load it on my laptop and I can't afford to purchase the new one

limited resources. Anyone have any ideas on how to load it? I don't have any pass keys with this version.

Thank You

Billy

Posts 25206
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2014 4:27 PM

Billy Carson:

I have the Nelsons Electronic Bible I bought in 1999 and it ran on everything until

windows 8. Now I can't even load it on my laptop and I can't afford to purchase the new one

limited resources. Anyone have any ideas on how to load it?

the previous post talks about VirtualBox which will enable you to run a Windows OS like XP or 7 for Libronix on your W8 laptop.. But you need to purchase (or have) Win 7/XP to get a valid licence.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 12
calvin cho | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 1:31 AM

Hi!

Window 8 can't support Libronix for some function.

For example, can't run a saving and loading workspaces.

Because of Internet explorer 10 do not emhanced for Libronix.

So, i manually copied a folder <-c:\Desktop\Document\Libronix DLS\Workspace  (a existed Widow xp or 7's folder)

to windows 8 same folder (new Computer).

if you possible, downgrade internet explorer 10 to explorer 9.

Posts 1
Anderson J.F. Abreu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 4:58 AM

Hi, John. Does your Libronix still work fully on Windows 10?

Posts 4711
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 6:04 AM

Anderson Abreu:

Welcome to the forums.

You may not get an answer on this thread. The last post before your was nearly 5 years ago.

If you have questions about Libronix, I would create a new thread on this forum 

Posts 18044
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 6:53 AM

Anderson Abreu:

+1 Welcome Big Smile

Logos wiki => Unsupported Applications on Windows & Mac includes Libronix => Libby is standalone as of 1 Oct 2017 (so offline use of existing Libronix 3 installations is viable, but can no longer download anything)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4780
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2019 12:55 PM

I run Libronix on Win 10, but it does have performance issues. It runs slower (for instance, note pop-ups can take up to 5 seconds to appear, which is very frustrating), and it has a tendency to lock up when I click from within one window to within another. This can sometimes be averted by clicking the window frame first before clicking into the window contents. But hey, at least it works! I run my main copy of Libronix on a Vista machine running IE7. Works great...10000000000 times better program than any version since.

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS