Sermon File Addin

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 25 2012 7:42 AM

Will we ever see any form of the Sermon File Addin for Logos 4?

Posts 4628
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 8:08 AM

It was not in the beta cycle that just went RC last week. We will have to see what is included in the next beta.

Posts 21990
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 8:16 AM

Danny Baskin:
Will we ever see any form of the Sermon File Addin for Logos 4?

Bob said that we should when he posted in March earlier this year - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/46104/346381.aspx#346381

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 8:29 AM

I remember Bob's post. I suppose I'm just being impatient.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 8:40 AM

I will be surprised if it is in the next beta cycle, but I do expect it to be in the following beta cycle.

Posts 204
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 10:23 AM

Many people including myself paid for this (Sermon File Addin), and due to that, it should one of the top priorities.  (It's as if you bought a commentary and now you can't use it at all).  It would be nice if there was some sort of partial refund.

Before someone says that I can use it on L3 (I know that) I don't want to use L3, that's why I paid to upgrade to L4 (not just the free engine).  This needed to be ready when L4 came out or soon after.  But it's been delay after delay after delay.

I know that there are a lot of technicalities to it; far beyond my computer skills and I really appreciate Logos for all they do and the products it produces, but their needs to be a full commitment to finish this product that they sold and honor the $ they received from many of us.

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2012 3:34 PM

Echo everything David said. The problem is not our impatience - but Logos' priorities. Still waiting.

Posts 5091
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 4:45 AM

David Salazar:
Before someone says that I can use it on L3 (I know that)

Logos no longer supports L3 so it is no longer valid for them or anyone else to say you can use L3.  All of these issues should have been resolved before they stopped supporting L3.  This is not the only missing feature that has not been sorted out before support for L3 was stopped.

Posts 3056
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 6:38 AM

What exactly is the Sermon File Addin?  I was never on L3.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 7:44 PM

David Taylor Jr:

David,

It was an addin product for L3 and allowed the user to create two books. One was a book for sermons and the other for illustrations. It was a package that once you added the sermon or illustrations it put it in a Logos Book that you could use like any other Logos book for searches or whatever. Then you could upload the sermons or illustrations to Logos Sermons. If you click the sermon menu off the main page those are sermons uploaded by the Sermon File Addin. I  purchased the product and demanded for about the first year for them to release it to L4, but have since learned to use the Personal Book Builder to accomplish the same thing. I see both sides of the argument as valid. Users are being impatient as they were promised 2nd Quarter then 3rd, then the next year and then the next year.. etc.. and still waiting. Frankly the product for L3 is no where near the advances in L4 so I understand Logos having a hard time getting it back. PBB is the new thing and as far as I am concerned I would rather they spend time making PBB better than worrying about the SFA.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 12:08 AM

Matthew Hamrick:
I would rather they spend time making PBB better than worrying about the SFA.

Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 6:01 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Matthew Hamrick:
It was an addin product for L3 and allowed the user to create two books. One was a book for sermons and the other for illustrations.

Agree that it was a Logos 3 addin, no debate on that, as to what it is I think that unfortunately the Sermon File Addin has become the primary focus for the general dissatisfaction with Logos 4, the development process and the current level of performance. That we the users perceived that it would be delivered within 12 months and have waited 36 is the stick that we constantly beat Logos with...

Matthew Hamrick:
PBB is the new thing and as far as I am concerned I would rather they spend time making PBB better than worrying about the SFA.

I think that Bob has already hinted at this in other threads on the issue and that Logos would prefer to integrate the Sermon File Addin with the Personal Book Builder the biggest challenge seems to be that the Sermon File Addin collected and stored information that the current Personal Book Builder is not designed to accommodate. I'm sure that there are as many theories about why this is as there are IT people on this forum but the end result is the dilemma for Logos deliver the new Sermon File Addin without the features that some users already have and want to retain or change the core design of the new Personal Book Builder to accomodate these requirements. I have a feeling that the third option, an all new Sermon File Addon that has all of the features from the old one as a separate Logos 4 module, is definitely not going to happen.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 6:42 AM

As many developers as there are on this forum, and knowing Bible software often has something to do with 'sermons', it would not have been that troublesome to simply have added some key categorization features to PB when they wrote it. I think this issue is no different than the notes issue and it goes back to whether Logos4 is 'Bible' software or simply just the logo.

I'm amazed as well (not being a pastor) that Logos markets to pastors and seminaries, but simultaneiously thumbs its development nose at their needs. I really don't understand, given the coding isn't that complicated.

Posts 3056
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 6:52 AM

DMB:

As many developers as there are on this forum, and knowing Bible software often has something to do with 'sermons', it would not have been that troublesome to simply have added some key categorization features to PB when they wrote it. I think this issue is no different than the notes issue and it goes back to whether Logos4 is 'Bible' software or simply just the logo.

I'm amazed as well (not being a pastor) that Logos markets to pastors and seminaries, but simultaneiously thumbs its development nose at their needs. I really don't understand, given the coding isn't that complicated.

Agreed, there are other Bible softwares out there that do not have one bit of a problem with these requests.  Cheaper too, but we went with L4 because it is supposed to be the leader, yet, key features are lacking.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 148
Colin Cameron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 7:04 AM

DMB:

DMB, I'm curious about what needs you're referring too. I am a pastor, and bought the Sermon File Addin for L3. I'd ***LOVE*** to see that functionality in L4 ASAP. However, honestly I don't need it, I've lived long enough now without it that I'll readily use it again if/when it is available but if it never happens, then I'll continue preaching and keeping my notes anyway.

Here's what I need from L4: access to commentaries, research materials, writings, etc that are searchable by scripture verse so that I can gain wisdom from the church's tradition about how to apply the scriptures to my own life and talk about in a way that is relevant, fresh, and exciting for the people I preach to weekly. Does L4 deliver that? YES, in a much easier way for me to handle than going to my vast library of paper-based books (which I rarely even open any more).

I do love the integration between L4 and Proclaim and that has been a real blessing to my ministry, but I don't need it.

A Canadian Anglican Bishop is quoted as saying once, ''When you get down to it, all we need is a bottle of wine, a book and a table, and we are in business.''

I might say I need a bible and a community to meet my needs.

Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but I'd be interested in hearing what needs L4 isn't delivering for people because it does deliver on my needs (maybe not all my wants but certainly all my needs)

Peace & Blessings,

Colin+

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 7:20 AM

Well, Colin, when I go hiking/camping, I carry a small waist-pack with water, tuna and crackers. And as they say, I'm a happy camper.

I always question other campers why they need so much stuff. I don't. So why should they?

That's why I smile when someone wants (previously existing)  software functionality and others say 'I don't need it so don't bother'. Welcome to Christianity.

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 8:04 AM

Writing code is similar to pastoring a church. There are many needs from many voices, and they all want it now. John does not want to see Mary's need implemented as it does not make sense, and Susan feels that John's needs will be a delay in progress on meeting Frank's need.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 646
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 8:26 AM

Have to say, the biggest issue I have with and that many have had in regard with the Sermon File Add-in not being functional in V4 is the fact it was promised and we have passed many estimated dates and still nothing years later. No matter how troubling the code may be, there has been more than sufficient time to.deliver on the promised functionality. Logos had this.on the back burner because they believed that it was a small group who used it and also because some there never liked it anyway.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 9:12 AM

Frank Sauer:
Have to say, the biggest issue I have with and that many have had in regard with the Sermon File Add-in not being functional in V4 is the fact it was promised and we have passed many estimated dates and still nothing years later.

Totally agree, I have a feeling that if we had been told that there would be no Sermon File Addin three years ago the complaining would have stopped by now. Smile

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 9:46 AM

Lynden Williams:

Writing code is similar to pastoring a church. There are many needs from many voices, and they all want it now. John does not want to see Mary's need implemented as it does not make sense, and Susan feels that John's needs will be a delay in progress on meeting Frank's need.

I have to disagree.  As a former developer and designer, by the time you start writing code, you should have a very very very very good idea on how things will work.  It is at the design phase is where you make the decisions. 

Because Bob said that they made a decision that they were going to code first and fix the issues later, we now see what happens when the design phase is skipped.  You have to go back and spend $$$,$$$.$$ in correcting the product design (just think of sync). 

IMHO, the main reason why this function had not been added to as of yet comes from the fact that they had to spend a lot of time and money in reworking a lot of L4.  IMHO, we do not have a completed product as of yet because Logos is now reaping what they have sown (and because they are adding additional products - vysro, faithlife, etc...).

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS