Vowel markings in Mac

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 38
chrisclark | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 13 2019 9:21 AM

Okay, I realize this may be a bit OCD/over-the-top, but here I go anyway...

Would it be possible to write into Logos 8 for Mac the vowel marking feature that is inherent in the Mac keyboard?

What I mean is this:

With other applications, I can put proper phonetical vowel markings on vowels like ō and ē, etc., by simply pressing the vowel key until the options pop up above the letter, then I can select the number that corresponds to the mark that I want.

Yet when I am writing English transliterations from Greek or Hebrew in the Notes section, if I press and hold the key, I get ooooooooooooo or eeeeeeeeeeeee.

Moreover, the vowel markings that are available with the option key are not exactly accurate; there is a difference between ō and õ. (By the way, I cannot even use the ˜ with e in Notes; I have to make something else up to fit).

Now once upon a time, that feature was available in Logos, and I used it constantly. So I know you can do it. Curious as to why you chose to omit it with this series of updates.

Posts 8066
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2019 12:54 PM

This is a known issue in the Notes Tool on macOS; please see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/177996.aspx for discussion and possible workarounds.

Posts 4677
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2019 12:22 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

This is a known issue in the Notes Tool on macOS; please see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/177996.aspx for discussion and possible workarounds.

Hi Bradley (and Chris)

Please may I add my voice in favour of removing the anachronistic auto repeat feature on the keyboard.

This 19C hangover from typewriter days when the only way to insert a line was to hold down the hyphen key has no place in modern workflows. Even if it was replaced with nothing it would be an improvement.

But I have been around long enough to remember the 'built for Mac from the sound up' sales pitch and this seem pretty basic to the build given the amount of accents that users are likely to require.

Posts 26858
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2019 10:57 PM

Mike Binks:
This 19C hangover from typewriter days when the only way to insert a line was to hold down the hyphen key has no place in modern workflows. Even if it was replaced with nothing it would be an improvement.

I use it frequently for a horizontal line ... are you implying that my workflows are not modern?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4677
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2019 11:57 PM

MJ. Smith:

Mike Binks:

I use it frequently for a horizontal line ... are you implying that my workflows are not modern?

Do you ever wear a cap? Does it fit?

Posts 26858
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 16 2019 12:57 AM

Never worn one backwards ... I guess I am old-fashioned. Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS