Logos 9 Wishlist

Page 3 of 38 (741 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 740 Replies | 44 Followers

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 1:20 PM

Desktop-

1. Speed - I bought a new machine ( fast processor, SSD Drive, loads of RAM) specifically to run Logos faster. It made little discernible difference. Even if I have no resources opening, it still takes 25 seconds or more to even get a screen. I have other behemoths - like the Adobe products to open very fast. I have never understood how the videos on the Logos website are lickety-split fast... Anyway, it is always my number one...

2. indexing - so SLOW... and it eats up the system forever....

3. Notes - well, I was one that beat the drum to get it. But, it is so complicated now, I am lost in its enormity and complexity.

4. Sermon Editor - not very Mobile friendly... really not friendly at all... I seldom use it without giving up.

5. I like Canvas. I think it could be better.

Posts 260
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 1:45 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

What are the most important things we should solve for Logos 9?

• What general themes or areas should we focus on?
  • What bugs should we fix?
  • What improvements should we make to existing features?
  • What new features should we add?
  • What new data sets should we build?
  • What new books should we include?

Please specify desktop, mobile, and/or web, where appropriate.

What does your ideal Logos 9 upgrade look like? What would make Logos 9 an irresistible upgrade for you?

If different, what should we do to win the next generation of new users?

Please include links to forum threads, User Voice requests, etc. where applicable.

We've reviewed the User Voice feedback for desktop, mobile, and books, but I want to make sure that the priorities there are reflective of the current priorities of our forum community.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback!

First I use the desktop almost all the time. I have checked out the web app and pleased with it, but don't use it because I use the desktop. The only thing I use the Mobile app for is simply to read a book when I am out. No in-depth study happens on Mobile, only the desktop. 

For Logos 8 you came up with the Theology guide and have been working to make it better since. For Logos 9 you should try to figure out church history and there's 2000 years to tap into. Every time you ask my number one complaint is speed. I have learned to expect Logos Bible software to be slow. There was a great improvement with Logos 8, but it's still a very slow program compared to other programs on my system.  There were a lot of resources added to Faithlife since Logos 8 launched. Some of those resources would entice people to upgrade to Logos 9. I have been pleased with Logos 8 Ultimate and most likely will acquire the Logos 9 Ultimate, but my library is getting bigger and soon I will stop building it and only need the new features. Logos 9 already is irresistible to me, but Logos 10 probably not. 

Posts 32
Benny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 2:16 PM

Focus on  touchscreen features

Posts 7504
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 2:42 PM

PetahChristian:

DAL:
BUT...BUT, if you’re not going to bother to make improvements in the graphics department, then don’t even bother bringing CARTA over to Logos.  Let the users wait another decade before desecrating CARTA’s graphics by lowering the quality of their images by putting them in the current platform!

I think FL understands that the rest of us who haven’t been complaining about graphics quality want Carta in Logos sooner, rather than later.

But lucky for you, knowing FL, that’s not gonna happen anytime soon 😉

Posts 31
Christopher Bucklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 2:43 PM

Thanks for asking!

The following is for desktop:

1. Better reading experience. This program is all about reading, so I think there should be more to customize the reading experience. For example, I want to be able to set a font for a specific resource, having different resources use different fonts. I also want to be able to set a custom background for resources - more than just the standard colors. I want to be able to set an image for the background. I'd use images of different kinds of paper. Think about it: Hebrew and Greek resources displayed on old parchment. Bibles and such displayed on photographs of old textured papers. That's one of the things I miss about print books - how each is visually unique. Give us a way to customize that and I think that would really be cool.

2. Better F8 drawing mode. Basically, I want something that is easy to use, and can function like Piper's Look at the Book. I use a Surface pro with a Pen, and I want to be able to just draw. I don't want to drag and drop things like in canvas.

3. Better Sermon Editor. Make it more robust, with features similar to Word.

4. Ways organize our documents (I'm thinking of sermons here) into file folders, grouping things together.

That's all on the top of my head for now. I'll post again if I come up with more.

Posts 31
Christopher Bucklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 2:52 PM

Already adding stuff: The ability to save a specific combination of Visual Filters into a present that we can quickly activate, rather than having to check and uncheck specific items.

Posts 1899
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 3:19 PM
  1. PDF & EPUB Reader
  2. A resizable parallel resource set window (the drop down)... kinda like the library. The current one is sooo small, you can barely see the the list and the covers. Please this is important. We need parallel resource set window to be WAAAY bigger.
  3. Notes needs to retain the capabilities from the previous version. This current one is cumbersome. The previous one was simpler and makes more sense. Searching inside the notes isn't even possible. Terrible.
Posts 2288
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 3:28 PM

1. Speed

2. Speed

3. Speed

4. Maps

5. Spit  & polish most-used features that never got finished.

Posts 2046
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 4:11 PM

1. Dark mode: the ability to change the entire interface to dark mode with white lettering (like what can already be done on the mobile app...there it is called low light)

2. Better touch screen support

3. A favorites panel that is more user friendly

Posts 1485
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 4:45 PM
  1. Make the control bar much more useful and powerful; minimize mouse clicks, per https://community.logos.com/forums/t/177804.aspx 
  2. Drag/drop of selected text/images. https://community.logos.com/forums/p/177922/1028666.aspx (among others) 
  3. Make new tab behavior into a library search. https://community.logos.com/forums/p/186122/1074311.aspx
  4. Broaden Logos' offerings to make it more attractive to academics in religious/historical studies and related fields (not just Evangelicals, Catholics, etc.) with things like Carta, the  works of Robert Alter, historical works of McGrath, and others.
  5. SPEED! I've got a new top-of-the-line laptop, blazing 1Tb SSD, 6-core processor, plenty of RAM and good CPU... and Logos hasn't changed much from my 6-yr old laptop.  

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2479
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 5:40 PM

I'm not sure why people are still complaining about speed. I invested in an i9, 32GB RAM, fast video card and a PCI-e drive with lots of room and it rocks Logos. 

I was wondering about the possibility of making the interface variable in size. I love making the print size very readable, but the interface cannot be made larger that I know of and it's sometimes a challenge to read things that are bit smallish. This might be a bear to do, but some of us older folks would appreciate it.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 7504
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 5:50 PM

mab:

I'm not sure why people are still complaining about speed. I invested in an i9, 32GB RAM, fast video card and a PCI-e drive with lots of room and it rocks Logos. 

I was wondering about the possibility of making the interface variable in size. I love making the print size very readable, but the interface cannot be made larger that I know of and it's sometimes a challenge to read things that are bit smallish. This might be a bear to do, but some of us older folks would appreciate it.

One shouldn’t have to invest on an expensive computer to run Logos.  Accordance, heck, even WORDsearch, are faster programs.  I mean lightning quick clicks.  Logos hangs/stalls too much especially when indexing. It even affects other programs like Word, my pictures, etc. There’s definitely something wrong with the program when it interferes that much with other programs  — Hence, the improvement on speed request.

DAL

Posts 1585
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 5:56 PM

DAL:

mab:

One shouldn’t have to invest on an expensive computer to run Logos.  Accordance, heck, even WORDsearch, are faster programs.  I mean lightning quick clicks.  Logos hangs/stalls too much especially when indexing. It even affects other programs like Word, my pictures, etc. There’s definitely something wrong with the program when it interferes that much with other programs  — Hence, the improvement on speed request.

DAL

I agree with DAL. I would hope that Faithlife would rather we invest in their software offerings every two years, not a new machine. Obviously other Bible Software companies have this figured out. Logos needs to be as fast and snappy as Accordance or WORDsearch.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 3953
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:46 PM

mab:

Tell you what: you buy me a computer with specs like that and I'll stop prodding Faithlife about Logos being slow.

Posts 111
pk47 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 7:52 PM

A search bar within the Personal Book tab would be greatly appreciated. I hate scrolling down to find the book I'm looking for. 

Thank you

Posts 111
pk47 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 8:02 PM

In regards to books: please offer Baker Academic titles in the base packages. 

Posts 10
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 8:55 PM

Desktop - I might not even upgrade to 9, I really love 8.  I am sure that is not what Phil wanted to hear, FL needs to sell to exist.

I am sure it could be faster, although on my computers it's awesome.

I think notes could be better.  Keep developing this.

But that is the extent of my wish list.

Those are my As someone who has to work with a lot of other software for work, I am really happy with Logos 8.  

Posts 2288
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 9:40 PM

1. Folders on the shortcuts bar.  Like Chrome.

2. Be able to open all contents of a folder in a new panel.

Posts 455
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 10:16 PM

The ability to toggle individual visual filters from the go box/shortcut bar.

The ability to bind a shortcut key to anything on the shortcut bar.

Posts 282
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 10:28 PM
  • Search Builder - I haven't been able to invest nearly as much time as I want in learning search and so often struggle with it. It would be great if a search builder not only helped me build complex searches, but also taught me advanced searching as I use it so eventually I need to use it less and less.Its goal should be to eventually put itself out of a job in my workflow.

• Fit and Finish - An emphasis on fit and finish often makes the difference between a tool being a struggle or efficient and pleasant to use. I don't have a massive library, but the reports of slow performance with one make me a little fearful of building one too large. The new context menu is a great example of good and efficient design. It now has so many more of the things I want easily accessible and yet isn't as cluttered feeling to me. Rethink all the interface in this way such as...

• Search jumping. When studying a passage I often follow some successive links and inline searches leading to this bizarre jumping back and forth from left pane to right pane to left pane while trying to remember which pane had my original text again so I can hit the back arrows the correct half dozen times to get back to it. Please rethink this process as you did the context menu to make it less convoluted. I would like to have an option for inline search results to open in a new pane so I don't lose my original place. Let me chase all the rabbit trails I want in new tabs on one side then just single click to close that pane of tabs and I'm instantly back to my original text. Now I suspect not everyone may want this, so make it a setting choice.

• Easy bookmarks. Logos is all about reading, so make it easier to quickly get back to the book and place within it I was reading on all platforms with a simple bookmark setting in the upper right corner of a resource like most other reading programs have. Also add a 'currently reading' and 'to read' bookshelf feature so I can easily find the couple of books I am actively reading and the next ones on my to read list.

• Implement collapsible panes. Navigation tasks can be handled with side panes that collapse out of the way when not needed and then a single mouse click brings them back. The sidebar is a good example of this. Bookmarks, highlights, and more could really benefit from this. How about a custom navigation pane that can be configured to be collapsed on the left side that works with everything and I can add and remove tools, bookmarks, search tools, or whatever that I like to have always on hand. It would also have my library, current and to read bookshelves built in making it always easy to find my current or next read. Clicking on the Logos icon in the upper left corner would be a great way to get this collapsible pane as it is always there and currently does nothing if you click on it - it's just full of potential waiting to be utilized!

• Bringing information together. As I continue to add resources to my library, I'm always looking for tools that pulls information from them and presents it to me in an easy way to read. The ancient literature section in the passage guide is one of my favorites and I am much more apt to impulse buy a resource that is utilized by such a tool. The topic guide is another example. Think through other possibilities that bring out my existing data in useful ways.

• Fill the screen! When I open a book or Bible it just opens in the right pane. It should open full screen and then if I open another panel or do a search, automatically switch to a side pane.
Page 3 of 38 (741 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS